Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A couple of observations after one week behind the wheel of the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks ... a couple of things I've noticed, wondering whether others have noticed the same ...

During the Sydney downpours last week I seemed to get lots of false-positive blind spot warnings ... it's almost as if the volume of rain was confusing the radars ?

Sydney buses have a big 40km/h sign on their back, qualified with "when lights are flashing". However the Model S seems to read these on a freeway and tell me the speed limit isn't 100km/h but 40km/h ... then it doesn't change it back until the next street sign ...

Ian

Hi Folks ... a couple of things I've noticed, wondering whether others have noticed the same ...

Sydney buses have a big 40km/h sign on their back, qualified with "when lights are flashing". However the Model S seems to read these on a freeway and tell me the speed limit isn't 100km/h but 40km/h ... then it doesn't change it back until the next street sign ...

Ian

Not surprising really. The image processing heuristics aren't likely to be able to distinguish a 'real' road sign from one presented to it on the back of a vehicle. They certainly could with appropriate effort, but this is probably not a situation that's been anticipated and allowed for as yet.

Last edited:
Have noticed also that it's not good at picking up the lit variable speed signs on motorways like the M2 ... seems not to recognise them at all

- - - Updated - - -

And another observation ... if you have the Tesla app loaded on more than one phone then your other half can see exactly where you are, where you're going and how fast ... not a problem for me as I have nothing to hide, in fact it's good because she can (eg) see how far I am away from home without calling. For others though, maybe not !! :redface:
IMG_0002.JPG

During the Sydney downpours last week I seemed to get lots of false-positive blind spot warnings ... it's almost as if the volume of rain was confusing the radars ?

Ian

I got lots of false positive blind spot alerts during heavy rain also, but only from the drivers side.

From experience I believe that the warning is triggered when the car senses another vehicle in your blind spot and at the same time it senses that you have crossed a lane marking on the same side. That all makes sense but I think the car struggles to detect lane markings in the wet and seem to trigger on other lines like expansion joints and possibly even the lines left by tyres on the wet road surface.

In this video

https://youtu.be/kp3ik5f3-2c

Mobileye discusses expanding sign recognition and recognizing the status of traffic lights. I expect we will see tremendous improvements over the next two years in the reliability of sign recognition. The video also notes that Tesla is first to use the IQ3 chip.

Thanks SR22pilot, very interesting. I spent 13 years doing R&D on this sort of stuff at CSIRO and at the time never thought I'd eventually be driving a car that used it!

Hi,
Didn't want to start a Thread with a trivial question. Here seems a good place. If two people with active fobs approach a locked Tesla. Who does the car identify?
The closest? To what? The driver's side?
Just curious as I await my June delivery....wife and I will presumably have fobs with driver profile...

Hi,
Didn't want to start a Thread with a trivial question. Here seems a good place. If two people with active fobs approach a locked Tesla. Who does the car identify?
The closest? To what? The driver's side?
Just curious as I await my June delivery....wife and I will presumably have fobs with driver profile...

Driver profiles are not linked to key fobs. They need to be manually selected using the touchscreen.

From experience, whoever's closer. But the driver profile doesn't work like I think you think it works - it stays on whoever last was set, in other words, it's only changed "manually" from the touchscreen. I actually like this far better than my previous ICE whose driver seat position would start changing to my wife's if she got to the passenger side first. Then I'd have to struggle to actually squeeze myself in to the drivers seat. Or wait until it finished, and use my fob to reset to my profile.

I suppose I'll have a similar squeeze problem after my wife drives the S, but she drives it so rarely I haven't noticed a problem. :biggrin:

[EDIT: oops, cynix beat me to it]