Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A couple of questions re: 1. Authorized Drivers/Users 2. Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks in advance to those that may know the answer.

1. I am primary cell/user on the car, my phone had to be activated and linked to one of the two key cards the 2023MYP came with. Wife was activated second, similarly connected with the second key card. I recently added as a third driver, my son/cell phone. At some point I noticed that although he was a listed driver, his phone did not activate the car driving system and only his personal settings were activated. I figured out that we did not set it up with the RFID key card provided...so I used one of the original two cards that came with the car to set up his phone. Long story short my wife's phone now glitches and does not want to start the car, and I noticed my son's phone, when he is driving, wont activate the Basic Autopilot(lane hold feature). Tha Caraoke also does not work. Any tips on setting up users much appreciated.
So what is the deal? Of course for a brand new car, there is no tesla support, the Clarkston MI office never answers the phone (Typical Horrible Customer service) leaving me to ask this here.

2. I purchased a Homelink add-on from Tesla, a month ago when I bought the car. Paid for it. I was told at time of purchase it was to be shipped to the Clarkston Tesla Shop in Michigan for install and to follow app for instructions. There is only a purchase receipt on the app. NOTHING ELSE> I have not heard back from the shop or Tesla as to a status. Feels like thy took my money and forgot about me. There is no indication of a delay and really zero communication. I think Tesla also knows my number because after I purchased and received the car I can never get anyone on the phone to help. Prior to car receipt it was relatively easy. I have a bad feeling that they screen calls and know everything about a caller. If they sold you the car they seem to have a FU attitude. Anyhow any advice here? So far just a service dead end.

The key cards are not “linked” to each of the phone keys. They just act like master keys to authorize adding or removing of new keys. You can use one key card to set up all the phone keys, it doesn’t matter.

Each driver can set up their own profile in the car with their own personalized settings including seat and mirror position, climate control, radio/audio, and other vehicle preferences including autopilot settings.

Each profile can then also be linked to a specific key so it automatically changes the profile depending on the key used. This is not done automatically and you need to manually link the proper profile to each key.

If multiple keys are present then it won’t know which profile to link, so you may have to manually select the correct driver profile if for example both you and your wife are in the car.

They phone key either works or it doesn’t. There’s no way to just have a phone key only turn on the infotainment but not start the car. If it’s not starting the car then the key was either not set up correctly or you need to double check the Tesla app is running and Bluetooth is on. Also verify the Tesla app has full permissions to access location and Bluetooth all the time even if the app is in the background.

Reactions: RedY23
Upvote 0
The key cards are not “linked” to each of the phone keys. They just act like master keys to authorize adding or removing of new keys. You can use one key card to set up all the phone keys, it doesn’t matter.

Each driver can set up their own profile in the car with their own personalized settings including seat and mirror position, climate control, radio/audio, and other vehicle preferences including autopilot settings.

Each profile can then also be linked to a specific key so it automatically changes the profile depending on the key used. This is not done automatically and you need to manually link the proper profile to each key.

If multiple keys are present then it won’t know which profile to link, so you may have to manually select the correct driver profile if for example both you and your wife are in the car.

They phone key either works or it doesn’t. There’s no way to just have a phone key only turn on the infotainment but not start the car. If it’s not starting the car then the key was either not set up correctly or you need to double check the Tesla app is running and Bluetooth is on. Also verify the Tesla app has full permissions to access location and Bluetooth all the time even if the app is in the background.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah we figured out some things thanks to and other feedback.
1. Car Confused when multiple connected phones in vicinity.
2. There was a software update and it glitched things because at same time my free connectivity trial expired and I paid for a new one. I had to reboot computer. Now all is good

Reactions: Wu01ok and E90alex
Upvote 0