Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A critical review of Tesla touchscreen UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: T3SL4AFBruh
I think the touch screen is amazingly clean and intuitive. The idea that you could put everything in to one place and not have things buried and hard to find with things like context sensitive menus is no small accomplishment. The interface is just amazingly accessible and intuitive and anyone who has worked in software knows this is no small feat. The Luddites make moving forward a monumental challenge.

Red M3P HW 3.0 FSD 2019.16.3 5/19/2019

I think the articles points are well taken, such as the lack of haptic feedback makes it difficult to invoke controls without looking at the screen which is aiso situated awkwardly forcing the driver to take their eyes off the road. A lot of the objections to touchscreens could probably be fixed if Tesla put effort into a more robust vocal assistant. A user Should be able to use voice for simple operations like adusting the climat or setting simple toggle commands on/off like lights, sentry mode , etc. that would go a long way to avoid taking your eyes off the road if you could really talk to your car!!

I think the articles points are well taken, such as the lack of haptic feedback makes it difficult to invoke controls without looking at the screen which is aiso situated awkwardly forcing the driver to take their eyes off the road. A lot of the objections to touchscreens could probably be fixed if Tesla put effort into a more robust vocal assistant. A user Should be able to use voice for simple operations like adusting the climat or setting simple toggle commands on/off like lights, sentry mode , etc. that would go a long way to avoid taking your eyes off the road if you could really talk to your car!!

Hard to argue with that. I suspect it wouldn’t be hard to implement.

I already use voice commands, though, for most things Tesla. My phone is sitting in the phone area (wirelessly charging) and I can use “Hey Siri, set temperature to 71 degrees” to do this. Just need an app like “Stats” to do it.

it's going to be a bit offtop, but:
i'm an android user for ages, but now i'm kinda mad at google.
specifically for that after i got a tesla and started to search some stuff around, i'm getting a different crap in 'google now' feed.
all of these stupid media like seekingalpha smth, drive*, cnn (! so often) with a great diversity of late passengers in haters(or shorters) train with *analytics* articles stating the tesla completely failed with something, did catastrophic miscalculations and stocks are nosediving, vehicles are burning again and again (some episodes though) etc etc.
i'd let idiots to be an idiots, or ppl desperately clinging for another short period in their life, just dunno how to effectively filter them out of my life.

getting back to the topic: screens are great.
suck yourself dear John Pavlus whoever you are, the author of yet another article in yet another media in my feed, who didn't (of course) make it available for the comments.

I agree with additional voice commands there'd be minimal need to use the screen. I don't really touch the screen while driving occasionally dial the thermostat a degree or two. I do miss the ability to do that from the scroll wheel like the Model S can do.

it's going to be a bit offtop, but:
i'm an android user for ages, but now i'm kinda mad at google.
specifically for that after i got a tesla and started to search some stuff around, i'm getting a different crap in 'google now' feed.
all of these stupid media like seekingalpha smth, drive*, cnn (! so often) with a great diversity of late passengers in haters(or shorters) train with *analytics* articles stating the tesla completely failed with something, did catastrophic miscalculations and stocks are nosediving, vehicles are burning again and again (some episodes though) etc etc.
i'd let idiots to be an idiots, or ppl desperately clinging for another short period in their life, just dunno how to effectively filter them out of my life.

getting back to the topic: screens are great.
suck yourself dear John Pavlus whoever you are, the author of yet another article in yet another media in my feed, who didn't (of course) make it available for the comments.

Totally hear you on the feeds the negative garbage is amazing. Very much feels like a concerted effort to hurt Tesla.

Transformative technology always has sacrifices. Key tactile feeling was lost moving from Blackberry to smartphone. Touch typing was lost moving from desktop to tablet. However, the positives outweigh what is lost.

So you can identify specific sacrifices and say the whole thing "sucks". Or you can view the overall package as Consumers Union user poll says is best.

I personally will not go back to a Blueberry nor will I return to the traditional automaker design.

The article is obviously written by someone who hasn't spent any significant time in the car. The problem is that it might turn off others who haven't yet had the opportunity to drive the car and have some concerns about the experience of using the centre screen while driving. This is made worse by their experiences with other manufacturers horrid screens. Some things people need to know about the Model 3's screen.
  • It's a very responsive touchscreen, like an iPad. This isn't one of those screens you have to try multiple times to get the screen to register your touch.
  • The screen is also very bright, with high contrast, high resolution and minimal glare/reflections (I cannot recall any glare/reflection issues in 12 mos/24,000 km).
  • The UI is very well designed, the buttons are far enough apart that you won't accidentally press the wrong button, and large enough to be easy to press.
  • It's far easier to find what you're looking for on screen because everything is well labelled. Every time I have to drive our Highlander it's a nightmare remembering what all the buttons do and trying to find the one I want based on their enigmatic icons.
  • Most of the items you press on the screen are set and forget. Not many require fiddling with when driving.
  • Those that do need adjusting while driving are conveniently placed on the bottom of the screen. The article says this is a bad location. On the Model 3, this is in fact the best location. Why? Well I can reach with my right hand, palm up and place my fingers on the back of the screen. With this steadying my hand it allows my thumb to be accurately placed to press the button I'm interested in by muscle memory - I barely have to glance at the screen to operate those buttons. If they were along the top or right of the screen, it would be a much farther reach for my arm and if they were along the left side of the screen it would require an uncomfortable twist of the wrist, not to mention having to work around the steering wheel.
  • The only buttons that suffer from the awkward touch screen interface that he complains about are not often utilized when driving and I'd argue one can always wait until it's safe to do so, for instance when waiting at a light or when autopilot is activated. One should only need to divert their attention from the road for 1-2 seconds to operate these so it's not like it's hard to find an opportunity to do so.
It's easy to criticize based on assumptions due to past experiences with poorly designed screens with sub-par UI but arguing that the Model 3's screen is dangerous and hard to operate because of it's lack of haptic feedback to me is akin to saying we should go back to rotary phones because of the lack of haptic feedback on smartphones. There's a reason Tesla’s “infotainment system” recently topped a Consumer Reports owner-satisfaction survey.

I always found it odd that people talk about being able to use controls on their dash without looking, or (on a related note) being able to see the speedometer in a traditional instrument cluster without looking.

Unless you have perfect muscle memory of the location of every control, a sea of buttons is no different from a screen in that you have to first see where you're putting your hand, even if it's just a quick glance. When setting the climate temp in my old car I still had to glance at the LCD to make sure I set it to what I meant. It's closed loop control either way.

Same goes for the IC. If I really want to know how fast I'm going with more detail than "fast" or "slow"—which I can already tell by looking at the road in front of me—I'm going to have to glance down anyways. Someone who can see their exact speed without shifting focus must not be paying attention to the road at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.