Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A death trap? Thoughts on extraction in an accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love that this is a tank that can't be penetrated by a 9mm, except I guess you can throw a rock and break the window! But assuming they fix that, one key important aspect of a car is that the fire department can saw it open to extract the passengers. Is this just a death trap?

Love that this is a tank that can't be penetrated by a 9mm, except I guess you can throw a rock and break the window! But assuming they fix that, one key important aspect of a car is that the fire department can saw it open to extract the passengers. Is this just a death trap?
Did the window really break? It cracked but it didn’t shatter.

As mentioned, cutting methods are very different from kinetic force; the FD also have the jaws of life. That being said, I think it is premature to equate "indestructibility" to "death trap". And given Tesla's push and qualifications for some of the safest cars out there, I doubt they would do a 180 on the truck.

Totally naive question: Jaws of life aside, what if someone crashes into a river or lake? Edge case for sure, but how would they escape the sinking vehicle? Or in the case of a fire where the doors are blocked shut?

...river or lake?...

People have been already drowning in conventional cars so I don't see there will be different statistics of drowning for CyberTrucks.

...escape the sinking vehicle...

Like any conventional car, if occupants are trained, they should roll down their windows to equalize the pressure and exit either through an open door or window.

...Or in the case of a fire where the doors are blocked shut?

Just like in any conventional car, if your exit is blocked in a fire then the chance to exit is slim or null.

I would love to get my hands on one for auto extrication with the the current highest tools that most agencies have. Our tools get replaced in most agencies every 7-10 years. The Tesla b post is already hard on almost all cutters on the market but we can sawzall them.

@elon musk let’s make this happen with @local3922 in Poway

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
No, it should not break or crack. Look at the Semi where they had a planned video of a truck hitch hitting the windshield and it bounced off.
That was the windshield though, and Franz didn't try that on the cybertruck. My guess is either just the windshield and maybe glass roof have the tougher glass, or that the side windows were supposed to have it but didn't and no one communicated that.

Another totally naive question: Jaws of life aside, what if someone crashes into a nuclear weapon that's about to detonate? Edge case for sure, but how would they escape the blast radius? Or in the case of a nuclear detonation where the doors are blocked shut?

It depends on which model you bought. If you were cheap and got the RWD, I would say you are toast. If you splurged for the 3 motor, it depends how much of a head start you got. "about to detonate" is that seconds? Toast? a little longer...we will have to test!

I did not notice, does this have similar filters to the X with their HEPA/Doomsday filtration system?

p.s. what is the safe distance from a nuclear detonation? What size device are you detonating?

• Love
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq