TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A Different Delivery

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Snerruc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

I live on a small island in the middle of the Pacific and get my Tesla Wednesday. As I am 200 miles by barge from a service center, Tesla has shipped it to the nearest harbor. Someone is flying in to receive delivery and make sure it is in good condition. Then they will call me and arrange for delivery. I'll drive up, inspect the car and sign the papers. My DS told me to allow at least an hour for us to completely set the car up for my use. Then I drive it home. Should be an interesting experience.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
  2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Keep us posted...gonna be interesting.

3. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

We had a little problem with 2 hurricanes a week ago, and I'm now backed up to Friday at the earliest. Second delay. The car may be important to me, but the shipping companies lost a week. There are more important things, like food, to them. Go figure.

• Informative x 1
  4. SoccerMan94043

I got engaged in the big island and did a pilgrimage a few months back. I want to move there :)

What do you do about service and the like?

5. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

This sounds like it will be a fantastic experience.

I hope you are ready for occasional sending of the vehicle back on the barge to the service center for a list of maintenance items. I wish they had the loaner program solid enough they could barge you the loaner car while yours was in maintenance :p but somehow I doubt that.

6. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

#6 Snerruc, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    They have a ranger for most stuff, but as the next guy said big stuff has to hit the barge. I have a friend who is a former aircraft mechanic and stuff like 12 v battery may be do it yourself. Move on over. Life is fun here.
    Pm me if you come back.

7. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

I still have an old CR V for those times. I made my peace with reliability and qc problems otherwise I would probably go nuts. In the past they have often given rentals, but I suspect that may not be true anymore.

• Love x 1
  8. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Barge hasn' t arrived yet so today in doubt. Probably get it Monday when pier opens.

• Informative x 1
  9. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Update it's not coming off the barge today. Also, notary won't notarize the paperwork because Tesla screwed it up. Hope the car is better than the delivery experience.

• Dislike x 1
  10. David29

David29 Member

You are a brave person!

11. DameDePiques

DameDePiques Member

12. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Actually I'm finding the process interesting not disappointing. The one to feel something for is the poor Tesla rep. who had to call me this am saying the barge wasn't at the pier. He arrived at 6:00 this morning, wasted a day and has to come back next week.

• Like x 1