Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Fart Toy. Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm appalled that Toyota and Lexus devote money and resources to design ever bigger grilles each year on their automobiles. These out-sized baleens provide no functional purpose. They could have devoted these resources toward fixing the glaring and long-standing issue of not offering BEVs in their product lines and falling behind the competition in this regard.

The problem is that EVs require almost no maintenance. The dealers have a little problem with that idea. The dealers must sell cars that generate service revenue to keep the lights on. They have no interest in selling low maintenance products.

Reactions: Ormond
As to the mirrors, this is a more serious problem. When I park in a confined space, I expect my mirrors to automatically retract when I put the vehicle in park. Automatically. All my previous vehicles (from Fords, to Acuras, to Lexus) did so. The mirrors did not extend as I approached the car--only when I was in the driver's seat. This prevented the (rather large) mirrors from assaulting me or my passengers as they approached.
Yep, great idea. Totally agree.
My guess is they use it as a visual indicator, but we should be given the option to change

My local service center (Bellevue, WA) is stellar. They know me by name (by now) as I've had to return there for a litany of reasons:
  • The detachable towing ball would not attach. (They replaced the entire tow bar receptacle assembly)
Yep, had the same problem from brand new. Finally got it in, but now it won’t come out unless belting with a hammer
The sad part is, they knew it was faulty when they fitted it (it didn’t initially come with the car), but returned the car to me anyway
Back to the service centre

I used to think these fun updates were one of the things which makes Tesla "special".

I now find them irritating and a sad reminder of the dysfunctional auto-wipers, browser, mirror logic, and other bugs which somehow get overlooked by the developers. Now "special" has a different meaning.

BTW, for the Tesla software team -- Model S/X have two screens, you can let us keep the fireplace open while we drive.

But if we had the fireplace on the screen how could we stare at the useless Maps application that is now constantly running

• Funny
Reactions: bollar
Seriously disappointed with the priorities as well. Even the audio streaming works like 50% of the time and we get a fart app....
I can't use the audio for hands free calling in my M3 because it sounds like I am under water to the person on the other end. I put in a service request, and when I check back, I am told it is beyond local techs and has been sent up the ladder. It has been months since I first reported this issue. I have tried resetting the blue tooth and it still doesn't work. I have tried using my iPhone in other vehicles and the reception is fine. I would prefer this fix before the fart sound. However, I did find it rather entertaining.

Reactions: bollar
Can we get a setting that would allow us to set the length of time the interior lights stay on. If I’m sitting in the car at night and someone gets out the lights stay on for about 30 seconds. That’s way to long. Can someone tweet Elon, should be a an easy fix unless I’m missing something in the settings.

As an app developer for iOS and Android (iBird Pro) with close to 1 million downloads, I can tell you the fart feature was a very good idea to add as an Easter Egg. First because its all software it cost almost nothing to build. Second, it provides a nice relief for programmers who are totally focused on rigorous and demanding features that can't be left out. Think a bit about how hard the team works to build and test software for a moving automobile and its obvious that its a very hard job without a lot of rewards. There are no "kind of works" freedom with car tech, and so the pressures are enormous.

If the idea for adding this came from Elon, I am very happy with that decision. People who are outraged need to lighten up and recognize this was not done as a substitute for more important software, it was done to reward hard working programmers. I've used the fart generator in my Model S, and it generated a lot of laughs. So I thank Tesla for still being able to let the developers have some fun.

Mitch

With all the serious stuff we've requested like mirrors that assault me and my passengers, Tesla releases a new feature to play fart noises? Someone needs to have their priorities reset. No, not all Tesla owners are eleven.

As to the mirrors, this is a more serious problem. When I park in a confined space, I expect my mirrors to automatically retract when I put the vehicle in park. Automatically. All my previous vehicles (from Fords, to Acuras, to Lexus) did so. The mirrors did not extend as I approached the car--only when I was in the driver's seat. This prevented the (rather large) mirrors from assaulting me or my passengers as they approached.
While I do agree we all might be better served if the mirrors folded when pressing Park, and opened when you step on the brake pedal to engage the car and Profile settings, I have to say, every passenger I have pranked with the Fart App has loved it!

I've got to agree with the original poster on this one. I just spent a good bit of time writing a Python script to modify the metadata in all my MP3 files so that I could finally get the music to play in the order I want. This is something that a large number of users have complained about since day one. I doubt seriously anyone specifically requested this particular "feature" . That they have time to develop something like this while ignoring the long list of items currently frustrating their customers shows a questionable ordering of priorities. I'm happy that some find this amusing but to me it doesn't do anything to add to convenience or safety when driving the car. If I wish to be amused by something like this I'll find another venue to pursue it rather than a $60K car.

I know many software companies institute a policy that a certain number of hours are allowed for side projects. Giving time for creative work leads to better morale.

For all we know these easter eggs are the result of some peoples spare time and the project was given a green light since it was already done.

I have no problem putting in these playful features, even if I find no practical use.

Thank you so much. I'm a developer (Wear for Tesla) and that's the way it works. Working 24/7 on real complicated stuff is really stressing. Besides, Tesla is the only company that does this.. if you don't like it, buy another car and don't worry about getting an update. Everyone complaining and have NO idea how it's done.

STOP complaining.

Last edited:
While I do agree we all might be better served if the mirrors folded when pressing Park, and opened when you step on the brake pedal to engage the car and Profile settings...
Not for me. I want to manually direct the mirrors to fold when I approach a tight parking spot, such as my garage, and have them remain folded so that I can later pull out of that same tight space. Only when I've cleared the space do I want to manually direct it to unfold the mirrors. At other times, I like the automatic fold when I leave the car and unfold as I approach the car since this lets me know the car is locked or unlocked. This just goes to show that not everyone or parking situation is best served by a single set of behaviors.

If the automatic behavior is not suitable for a given situation, then use the manual override. If it mostly doesn't work for you, then just disable autofold altogether and operate the mirrors manually.

Reactions: 1375mlm and marymcc
Thank you so much. I'm a developer (Wear for Tesla) and that's the way it works. Working 24/7 on real complicated stuff is really stressing. Besides, Tesla is the only company that does this.. if you don't like it, buy another car and don't worry about getting an update. Everyone complaining and have NO idea how it's done.

STOP complaining.

Let me provide an alternate viewpoint. I say this as a retired EE who, after my first job out of college, spent the rest of my career in startups. I put in more than my share of 90+ hour weeks. Birthing a company is brutal, stressful work but it's also quite rewarding - I had the privilege of working along side some of the brightest, most dedicated individuals I've ever known. In every company I was ever with, we did our best to put out a product we could be proud of. And, like every company out there, we had customers that were not entirely happy with that product. By buying our product, these folks were providing the money that paid my salary so they paid for the right to complain about something they didn't like. I always took the attitude that they were the ones providing oversight for any shortcomings in our product and it made sense to listen to their complaints because if we didn't, somebody else would. I bought a Tesla because I bought into the vision of a cleaner form of transportation. In doing this, I paid nearly twice as much as I ever have before for a car. There are a number of things I like about the car. There are also a number of things I don't like and I post about it. This is called feedback, and if enough customers are complaining about an issue, it's in Tesla's best interests to take note. Their future is not guaranteed and they're going up against some stiff, established competition. I truly hope they survive and help lead the way to a cleaner future. But to do this, they will need to listen when their customers speak.

Reactions: 1375mlm and bollar
With all the serious stuff we've requested like mirrors that assault me and my passengers, Tesla releases a new feature to play fart noises? Someone needs to have their priorities reset. No, not all Tesla owners are eleven.

I am 69 years old and I love the fart easter egg. My wife and passengers love it also. Maybe you need to lighten up a little. Although I have never had the problem with the mirrors with my Model X, I am sure Tesla can send an over the air update to resolve this problem, something I know Ford, Acura and Lexus cannot do.

Tesla is struggling with an image problem. Releasing a fart app only adds to the impression that it's run by eleven-year-old kids with no idea about how to run a company and respond to real customer issues.

Some of us are heavier, wider and taller than the 5'5'', 30" waist kids making the decisions. ;)
I would love to meet the 11 yrs. old kids who could design and engineer Tesla vehicles because I would offer them a scholarship or a job.

Reactions: BluestarE3
I am 69 years old and I love the fart easter egg. My wife and passengers love it also. Maybe you need to lighten up a little. Although I have never had the problem with the mirrors with my Model X, I am sure Tesla can send an over the air update to resolve this problem, something I know Ford, Acura and Lexus cannot do.
I just showed the fart app to my soon to be in-laws who are in their upper 60’s.... they thought it was hilarious.

• Love
Reactions: bettegruben
What I think they should do is release an Easter Egg in celebration of curing each one of the persistent software bugs. That way everybody would be happy as there would be dozens of Easter Eggs and few software bugs!
There were many updates other than the fart app in this last update. I am 66 and love the fart app. I think they were celebrating solving quite a few bugs and improve more and more with each update. I think some people are just not appreciative of how far Tesla has come and how far they are still planning on going. We are too spoiled. I love my car and appreciate the hard work that goes into the improvements. Name one other car that can be continually improved while sitting in your garage.