Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Fart Toy. Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our kids are liking the Tesla too. Santa mode went down well with them and looking forward to having it dance on Christmas Eve! But they're still not digging frequent reboots just to get their favourite tunes streaming. The UI is still a love/hate thing for me with the dysfunctional media player.

Reactions: Bogobec
Seeing a new update does not assuage my fears that something new and "cool" will put me and my family in jeopardy.

I am curious: Is your fear that your family will be in jeopardy such that you don't want updates or just not silly updates?

My point being: isn't it just as likely (perhaps more, but you were in the software industry, not me) that an update to fix your mirror problem will jeopardize safety as a silly fart Easter Egg? Seems to me that companies ought to be allowed to do more than one thing at a time and if that's true, then I don't see any problem with hiring some additional folks to add some fun (I enjoy the silliness). If it is taking folks off the job of fixing problems (I assume you agree there are only so many bodies/minds/money you can throw at a problem) or is jeopardizing safety, then I think you have a point. I don't see direct evidence of either. Do you (and the fact that there are issues is NOT direct evidence)?

• Love
Reactions: Bogobec
agreed. does anyone actually think tesla stopped all their engineers from solving real problems to create a fart app? How incredibly naive.

You do realize that at least one engineer was working on the fart instead of the auto-dim feature, right? I wonder if he told his mom what he does at work? While the Tesla patents may be open, I bet the upcoming features list is still highly protected. Even the fart app!

All work and no play... Its a car, try and enjoy the little things in life and don't get all your panties tied up in a knot. If you don't like easter eggs, go buy a car that doesn't get software updates.

When sitting at yet another supercharger it's the big things I think about, like getting more superchargers.

I'm 65 and I think it's hilarious! :)

I think it's pretty stupid, but I know I have friends who will think it's funny and I'll enjoy seeing them enjoy it. Isn't that really why I spent so much money on a car, so my friends could laugh when they sit down and make fart noises? That's so much better than not high-beaming other drivers on the highway.

Reactions: bollar and kavyboy
Funny enough, I had just updated the car about 3 days prior to this last one. Took it out for a drive and Autopilot still drove too closely to the yellow line for me to feel comfortable on any 2 lane roads.

After the "Fart App" update, HOLY SHNIKES!!! My Autopilot went from useful under few conditions to extremely handy! It stays much much much more centered in the road during curves instead of trying to hug whatever line the curve bends towards. Even in the straightaways, I felt it was too close for comfort to the yellow center line. But now I am genuinely impressed and not nearly as apprehensive about the Full Self Driving even without the HW3 update.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
I agree about the stupidity of the fart app, but I have literally never once been anywhere close enough to get struck by the mirrors unfolding as I've approached my X. Like, it's never even occurred to me.

The Fart App gave be a great belly laugh, maybe the guys at Tesla think we need to lighten up a bit in this crazy world we live in! Thanks Tesla!!

Brilliant marketing and tears of laughter when I hear the emissions. Looking forward to visiting the Brea Mall and hearing the laughter, hoots and hollers as the feature is demonstrated. Maybe the Apple Store will empty out as those shoppers want to discover what all the fun is at Tesla since the two stores face each other.

And don’t forget the health benefits, laughter is good for you! Stress relief from laughter? It's no joke

Last edited:
With all the serious stuff we've requested like mirrors that assault me and my passengers, Tesla releases a new feature to play fart noises? Someone needs to have their priorities reset. No, not all Tesla owners are eleven.

The fart app is definitely silly, and I don't expect to use it. It does seem to be well executed, however, and clearly there are folks who enjoy that sort of thing.

In the mean time, Tesla made some big helpful changes that get lost in the fart discussion. The new firmware, when attached to the new phone app, now gives real time status on the four closest superchargers on you phone and list the four closest destination chargers as well. navigation to one is a single click away - click on it in the phone and it'll load into the car's navigation, even if you aren't in the car at the time.

PIN to drive just got more secure - it shows up in different places on the screen, so they can't narrow the number down by looking at fingerprints.

I was also told by release notes that heated seats will be individually settable as part of preheating from the phone, but I don't appear to have that yet (another phone app update needed?)

So yes, the fart thing is silly - but they haven't stopped making real improvements. And as another poster noted, the fart thing may well be about winning mindshare - getting the name out there to sell cars (Tesla/Elon doesn't believe in advertising, but you better believe they have clever marketing plans...)

I've always said that men are just boys but bigger. We never really grow up, we just branch out. I'm 41 and I think the fart implementation is fantastic. I mean, hit a button on the steering wheel and it farts!! Genius!

Hope you noticed u can move the Whoopie cushion to the seat of choice by dragging it on the whoopie app! Hey I’m 72 and I LMAO on that one!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond and Bogobec