Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Fence Sitter just fell off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been tortured by the decision to purchase a TM3 since late last year when my pal offered to give me his reservation. Until that point purchase wasn't even an option in the immediate term since going convention at that time was the wait for non-reserves would be 2 years or so.

I've hemmed. I've hawed. Made countless spreadsheets and assessed priorities. Ultimately, I decided that good things come to those who wait. I've read of quality issues, rejected deliveries, months waiting for repairs, and so on. Financially, we can comfortably afford it but i'm pretty conservative with spending and we're not prepared as I would like for this purchase (read: all cash) This Labor Day weekend I sat down with the wife to discuss the full picture. The costs, the risks, the all-important impending tax credit phase-out. And of course, my decision to wait for a few years.

She looks at me a says, "I hear you. You've been obsessing about this car for a long time. Put the numbers aside. I want you to get the car. We'll make it work regardless of the outcome. You have my blessing". She is a wonderful person in so many ways. She understood better than I in that moment that there is an emotion component to life choices. Where i'm analytical, she tends to be spiritual. It's a great balance. We sat on the couch with the iPad and ordered a MSM Model3 LR RWD on Sep1. Now I just hope it arrives before year's end.

I wanted to share this story with the others who find themselves struggling with the mental tug o' war. I don't know on which side of the fence you will eventually fall. I do know that for many, myself included, this is a big purchase that merits careful consideration. Good luck whatever you and your family decide.

I understand.
I've long been on the other side of the fence even though the net extra ks wouldn't break me.
It'd be nice to have a 3 sooner rather than later, but without the benefit of the full tax credit, and given the current PUP tax and paint tax, I'm on the conservative side and will be waiting a few years. I figure that either Tesla delivers the SR and I'll get it later, or Tesla can't deliver and it'll collapse.

Enjoy your car.

I understand.
I've long been on the other side of the fence even though the net extra ks wouldn't break me.
It'd be nice to have a 3 sooner rather than later, but without the benefit of the full tax credit, and given the current PUP tax and paint tax, I'm on the conservative side and will be waiting a few years. I figure that either Tesla delivers the SR and I'll get it later, or Tesla can't deliver and it'll collapse.

Enjoy your car.

Yep, fully respect this take. The paint tax is...unfortunate. I was planning on holding off about 2 years. My calcs show that the RWD ~50K model will depreciate (straight line approx for first 2.5 years) at around $500/month. Not chump change. The fed + MD state credits will cover the first 20 months of depreciation. The buy used advantage crosses around 24-27 months. So I would have made more sense to wait about 3yrs before buying used.

Why not wait for the 35K model? Less cash will offset whatever drama comes after clicking the buy button.
Two points:
1) Though I don't need this range on a daily basis and the car will charge at home each night, the lower depth of discharge (DoD) due to the larger pack capacity should improve battery lifetime. A Li cell that is fully cycled 100% to 0% has a lifetime on the order of 100's of cycles. Keeping DoD between 80 - 30% has a drastic affect on cycle life into the 1000's. Tesla already manages this very well, but I can do my part in usage to ensure good life and low degradation.

2) We do multiple 2-3hr trips per year. DC area has a ton of attractions in this range. I'd prefer to limit the number of stops on these day trips with young kids.

Why not wait for the 35K model? Less cash will offset whatever drama comes after clicking the buy button.

Because the $35k version may never come and most of us don’t really want the $35k version. We want a nice Tesla. That means at least $5000 for PUP and $1500+ for a color other than black. At a minimum it’s $42,700 with the doc fees.

The uncertainty of the status of the SR battery and getting $7500 back pushed me to buy now.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I've been tortured by the decision to purchase a TM3 since late last year when my pal offered to give me his reservation. Until that point purchase wasn't even an option in the immediate term since going convention at that time was the wait for non-reserves would be 2 years or so.

I've hemmed. I've hawed. Made countless spreadsheets and assessed priorities. Ultimately, I decided that good things come to those who wait. I've read of quality issues, rejected deliveries, months waiting for repairs, and so on. Financially, we can comfortably afford it but i'm pretty conservative with spending and we're not prepared as I would like for this purchase (read: all cash) This Labor Day weekend I sat down with the wife to discuss the full picture. The costs, the risks, the all-important impending tax credit phase-out. And of course, my decision to wait for a few years.

She looks at me a says, "I hear you. You've been obsessing about this car for a long time. Put the numbers aside. I want you to get the car. We'll make it work regardless of the outcome. You have my blessing". She is a wonderful person in so many ways. She understood better than I in that moment that there is an emotion component to life choices. Where i'm analytical, she tends to be spiritual. It's a great balance. We sat on the couch with the iPad and ordered a MSM Model3 LR RWD on Sep1. Now I just hope it arrives before year's end.

I wanted to share this story with the others who find themselves struggling with the mental tug o' war. I don't know on which side of the fence you will eventually fall. I do know that for many, myself included, this is a big purchase that merits careful consideration. Good luck whatever you and your family decide.
I'd bet that you'll get your LR (non-AWD) closer to today than closer to 12/31. The backlog is really, really short for the LRs right now, and they're being reliably churned out of Fremont despite the small backlog, I suspect due to availability of front motors not yet having fully ramped for AWD backlog to be aggressively tackled.

Congratulations; it's far and away the best and most fun vehicle I've ever owned.

Reactions: C141medic
We sat on the couch with the iPad and ordered a MSM Model3 LR RWD on Sep1. Now I just hope it arrives before year's end.

Should also consider picking up a used one - from those upgrading to AWD / performance. Not that anyone is selling their 3000 miles LR RWD PUP silver in next couple weeks ;). PM me if interested.

You need to take her on a nice cruise to celebrate having such a wonder women by your side...
We've never done a cruise. I'll put it on our list!

Hey carotene, when i read your post, it almost felt that i typed it in. Including the wife"s support. I am analytical and she is the live the moment type.
I suspect there's hundreds of folks like us out there. I wanted to convey the analytical and emotional components of this decision. I'm glad you have that balance in your life too :)

I'd bet that you'll get your LR (non-AWD) closer to today than closer to 12/31. The backlog is really, really short for the LRs right now, and they're being reliably churned out of Fremont despite the small backlog...
I think you are correct. I received an email from the service agent this afternoon informing me the car is done production and to get my paperwork in order. Sooo, 3 days including a holiday? Not bad. Oddly, no VIN on the account yet.

We've never done a cruise. I'll put it on our list!

I suspect there's hundreds of folks like us out there. I wanted to convey the analytical and emotional components of this decision. I'm glad you have that balance in your life too :)

I think you are correct. I received an email from the service agent this afternoon informing me the car is done production and to get my paperwork in order. Sooo, 3 days including a holiday? Not bad. Oddly, no VIN on the account yet.

I asked mine for my ViN after getting that email and she gave it to me in the next email.

Reactions: neroden