Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Few CPO Questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RoRo

Nov 11, 2016
SoFla
Newbie here, been reading and searching but haven't found this information yet.

Looking into picking up a CPO MS. I can see that certain cars have been in inventory for awhile, which would mean that a price drop would be needed. Will Tesla deal on these cars or do you have to wait until they change the price?

Also, suppose that I were to pick-up a vehicle from a private party, is there any way to extend the warranty?

Tesla does not deal on the CPO cars. If you are buying from a private party, if they are the original owner, they can buy the extended warranty. And then you could pay them for it. I don't know what the mileage limitation is before they can no longer purchase the warranty.

Tesla doesn't negotiate prices on CPOs (like Carmax), so you just have to wait until the price goes down.

Private party, you will not be able to get an extended warranty if you buy from a dealer of any sort. Only the original owner can transfer the extended warranty, and that transfer arrangement has to be made as part of the sale - you would not be able to purchase it from Tesla later.

Thank you both for the information. I had a feeling this was the case for both situations.

Will a phone call to Tesla regarding the CPO vehicles I'm interested in be the equivalent to going to talk a person in the showroom?

Also, a question regarding CPO warranty, is the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper? How does that compare to the new car warranty? Are the things that are covered in the new car warranty also covered in the CPO 4 year/50,000 warranty?

Exactly the same, except the new car has a 4/50,000 and can add the additional 4/50,000 making it 8/100,000.
I believe the extended warranty/extended service agreement (not sure of the exact terminology) has a deductible. I was told several times the CPO warranty essentially resets the new-car warranty, in terms of coverage.

Find the CPO adviser in your region he/she will have best visibility into available inventory. As was said previously, many cars don't make it to the website. Some cars are still in the intake process, or are about to be traded in, so you want earliest visibility... If you know what you're looking for they will seek it out for you.

Finally, have you seen this site: Tesla Inventory Search ? Register and you can see price changes, too. It's the best site for finding CPO and inventory cars. I showed it to the reps in our Tesla store, too. At the time it was better than their internal tools.

Good luck.

I personally used the ev-cpo.com website. It is maintained and managed by a fellow tesla and forum member here. It is like an excel spreadsheet and you can filter out exactly what you are looking for. Another great thing about it you can click on a description of the vehicle and view it exactly like you would on the tesla website.

Also, a question regarding CPO warranty, is the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper? How does that compare to the new car warranty? Are the things that are covered in the new car warranty also covered in the CPO 4 year/50,000 warranty?

My understanding is that the warranty on an inventory car is exactly the same as a new car, with the clarification that the 40,000 is additional and starts from the mileage at collection. I.e. if the car has 8,000 miles recorded when you collect the car, the new warranty will run until 4 years from collection date and 48,000 miles has accumulated on the odometer.

I believe that older, CPO (used) cars are the same but am not sure?

I believe that older, CPO (used) cars are the same but am not sure?

Yes, that is correct. I am buying a CPO with ~40,000 miles on it (I won't know the exact number until it's been returned from a loaner). My warranty will start at the mileage I pick the car up with, so I will be warrantied through ~90,000 miles.

(IMHO the high mileage CPOs are the best deals out there for that reason - you get a car with a large portion of the depreciation already accounted for and a factory warranty close to 100k miles if you do it right)

Reactions: Norfolk Enchants