Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few (early) 3 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range: As others have said, the LR should make your 240-mile trip, depending on circumstances of terrain, weather and so on. But most humans will require a stop on such a trip anyway. So pick a convenient Supercharger along your route, plug in, and go “drain your crank case,” as my dad used to say. When you’re done, you’ll already have a confidence-boosting addition to your battery. Many of us travel hundreds and thousands of miles in our Model 3s with great success.

We live about 45 minutes from our service center. Since in 17 months the car has required zero service, it hasn’t been an issue. (We have been there to buy parts, though.) So maintenance costs have been just a couple of tire rotations.

Then there’s all the time you don’t spend at gas stations. Except for longer trips, you fill your car while you sleep!

I know you love your current car. I predict you’ll love your Model 3 more!

I have a mid-range, which currently charges to 243 miles when at 100%. I recently drove at about 80-85 mph speed, 70 degree temperature, on a flat terrain, for about 2 hours, covered 154 miles, and my charge level was 21%. I stopped at a supercharger for 20 minutes, and charged up to 75%.

With a long-range model you should be able to drive 240 miles. If the weather is cold, you can extend the range by slowing down to 70mph, or by driving behind a truck or an SUV.

How is the fit of your car holding up after x months of regular driving? The BMWs are great...my prior one showed some of its 13 years (when I finally sold it), but the interior was still in amazing shape. Do you keep a cloth in the car to get fingerprints off that shiny stuff covering the center console??
My 18 month old 3 has been flawless. Looks great. I did wrap the piano black center console.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Several days since I followed up...

Driving a 3 Performance next couple of days, rented with Turo. And heading to DC...so I'll have the roadtrip/SC experience.

And my wife and I test drove a 3 LR last weekend. Biggest surprise: she loved it. Thought it was super fun, and super nice. She won't drive my manual BMW, so a 3 would (for better...or worse) fall into the pool of family cars. Having been in an X first, I did miss not having any info on the dash. I enjoyed the hunt in figuring out how to open the glove box. And I'm not sure what I'd do about that super shiny, ready for scratches center console (hate to leave as is, but afraid a wrap will look cheap, and won't turn out well if I do it). But the car was great.

Don't sell yourself short. Doing the console wrap isn't all that tough, and the kits are only about $20 so it's not a back-breaker if you mess it up. Tint shops charge on the order of $50 to install a kit, and I don't know how much if you buy the wrap from them as well. By this time, any shop should be able to handle it, and have the templates available online. And the choices in wraps is very broad.
I don't get why Tesla doesn't fix that console, nor why they continue to use such feeble bulbs for the trunk, doors, et al. But still, minor squabbles.
Interesting to hear your voyage of discovery.

My m3 picks up well over 9 miles per minute when supercharging.

A 10-minute pause on the way and on the way back is just long enough to stretch your legs, but puts over 90 miles in the pack each way (180 total.)

That means your 240-mile round trip only needs 60 from your pack, and you don't need to plug in at the fam's house at all.

Here I've already put 49 miles in the pack and am still charging more than 9 miles per minute.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191208-133609.png
    Screenshot_20191208-133609.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 44
My m3 picks up well over 9 miles per minute when supercharging.

A 10-minute pause on the way and on the way back is just long enough to stretch your legs, but puts over 90 miles in the pack each way (180 total.)

That means your 240-mile round trip only needs 60 from your pack, and you don't need to plug in at the fam's house at all.

Superchargers are unbelievable. By the time you eat a sandwich and visit the loo your battery's just about full.

Reactions: MentalNomad
Don't sell yourself short. Doing the console wrap isn't all that tough, and the kits are only about $20 so it's not a back-breaker if you mess it up. Tint shops charge on the order of $50 to install a kit, and I don't know how much if you buy the wrap from them as well. By this time, any shop should be able to handle it, and have the templates available online. And the choices in wraps is very broad.
I don't get why Tesla doesn't fix that console, nor why they continue to use such feeble bulbs for the trunk, doors, et al. But still, minor squabbles.
Interesting to hear your voyage of discovery.
I agree. There is a learning curve, but if you are careful it is a quick. Start with the easiest piece first. If you are still nervous, and if you will have the car protected ( I have Xpel on the bumper and Ceramic Pro) let the detailer wrap the center console. This will add little or nothing to you final cost.

Indeed; at small scales I often joke that I have the manual dexterity of a butterfly with a palsy, but with about 20 minutes' effort and patience, I had no problem with the center console wrap. No wrinkles or crooked alignments; I'm quite pleased.

Reactions: PJFW8
Hello all...this forum is amazing and is a wealth of info! I just starting looking at a M3 and drove one last week and was blown away.

Bit of background, long time BMW 3 series lover that about 3 years ago went into an Audi A6 due to aging 3 series and lack of RWD. The A6 is good but a bit boring. I have decided and (surprisingly) got the wife approval last night. Over the last week i have been doing a ton of research.

A few quick questions if you all don't mind:

• What's the current state of fit and finish on the M3? I sometime read that the paint is subpar, mis-aligned door panels etc. Is that all overlblown? Corner cases?
  • Is it true that any cars ordered say, in late December/January won't get delivered until March?
  • I sometime read that you can negotiate upgraded paint, wheels etc. Anyone have that experience?
Thanks in advance! Super excited.

Hello all...this forum is amazing and is a wealth of info! I just starting looking at a M3 and drove one last week and was blown away.

Bit of background, long time BMW 3 series lover that about 3 years ago went into an Audi A6 due to aging 3 series and lack of RWD. The A6 is good but a bit boring. I have decided and (surprisingly) got the wife approval last night. Over the last week i have been doing a ton of research.

• What's the current state of fit and finish on the M3? I sometime read that the paint is subpar, mis-aligned door panels etc. Is that all overlblown? Corner cases?
  • Is it true that any cars ordered say, in late December/January won't get delivered until March?
  • I sometime read that you can negotiate upgraded paint, wheels etc. Anyone have that experience?

I had basically the same experience about 2 months ago—test drove an M3, did a week’s worth of heavy research, and decided to buy! I can’t answer your question about fit/finish with any personal experience (don’t pick my car up until Saturday), but I had the same concerns. There was a multi-part series (I think it was Bloomberg) about a month ago that surveyed M3 owners and found huge declines in reports of fit/finish issues from the early days. That plus folks in this forum helped put my mind (mostly) to ease.

Re: order time, if you order today you *may* get lucky and get a car by Dec. 31. Yesterday was, I think, the cutoff for the guarantee. The big reason to get it before 2020 is to get the federal tax incentive. The other is that yes, if you miss this window, you’re probably looking at March for the next round of US deliveries. Tesla builds in batches, and seems to exclusively manufacture cars for foreign markets at the start of the quarter before shifting to domestic production and delivery at the end.

No idea about negotiating for upgrades. I’ve never heard of that, and since you buy the car online I’m not even sure who you would try to haggle with. Your sales associate? I wouldn’t hold out hopes of getting free upgrades. Buying from Tesla is a non traditional experience, and personally no haggling was a selling point for me :). Bottom line is, demand outpaces supply at this point, so Tesla has zero incentive to give you something for free that 10 other people are willing to pay thousands for. Good luck making your decision!

1. Overblown. On par with all other car manufacturers.
2. I think now it is 2-3 weeks, unless you order an inventory car.
3. I think you can negotiate some upgrades for inventory cars that were used as testers/loaners.

What's the current state of fit and finish on the M3? I sometime read that the paint is subpar, mis-aligned door panels etc. Is that all overlblown? Corner cases?

Old overblown news and corner cases. Mine (August 2018) was fine, thought the online reports had me worried.

I'd advise going out to the nearest Tesla location with some inventory, if you can, and looking at the cars. (Not just a single showroom, stuff parked around a facility waiting to be delivered, or for service.) Look at the cars to see the fit and finish and if it's to your liking.

Also, you may find - as I did - that your color preferences change in person, versus what you see on the computer. Valuable visit.

Is it true that any cars ordered say, in late December/January won't get delivered until March?

I have no idea where you got that impression - it's a couple of weeks. Go through the online order process (stop before paying) and you'll see a current estimate. It may be a few more days than your estimate, but I doubt it will be several months.I don't know if you can expect delivery before year-end, if you're looking at tax incentives. (I don't know when they reduce or expire.)

I sometime read that you can negotiate upgraded paint, wheels etc. Anyone have that experience?

No - the order process for new vehicles is online, tick the box or not. No negotiating.

3. I think you can negotiate some upgrades for inventory cars that were used as testers/loaners.

This sounds valid for used / inventory vehicles - it will depend on their level of stock and desire to push them out.

Yeah generally near end of quarter you can possibly talk to them and do something like "Well, I'll take that inventory vehicle you have with upgraded wheels as long as you don't charge me extra for the wheels" or same with for-pay paint colors.

That's about as far as negotiating goes... (though IIRC they'll also knock off like 1 or 2 dollars per mile if you take a demo (never sold as new) inventory car that has some miles on it)

OK, to put it in context, I've owned 10 BMWs of all kinds, and an Audi A4. I currently have a '17 330xi sitting next to my '20 SR+.

1) Fit and finish is fine. If I get super picky, I can see the body gaps on the doors are a hair better on the BMW. The rest of the bodywork is the same. The paint (Midnight Silver) is 100% equivalent to the Melbourne Red on my BMW.

To oversimplify, Tesla had problems early in production, mostly due to buying inappropriate automation. They have put those issues behind them, by and large. Reputations take time to rebuild.

2) It is possible. Delivery times vary based on when you order, and where you are in the country. I got mine in 4 weeks. YMMV.

3) Not really. They did a one time special at the end of Q3 where they would match you with an inventory car that cost more than what you ordered, and ate the difference. The price is the price.

You will not regret the decision. Amazing car.

Last edited:
OK, to put it in context, I've owned 10 BMWs of all kinds, and an Audi A4. I currently have a '17 330xi sitting next to my '20 SR+.

1) Fit and finish is fine. If I get super picky, I can see the body gaps on the doors are a hair better on the BMW. The rest of the bodywork is the same. The paint (Midnight Silver) is 100% equivalent to the Melbourne Red on my BMW.

To oversimplify, Tesla had problems early in production, mostly due to buying inappropriate automation. They have put those issues behind them, by and large. Reputations take time to rebuild.

2) It is possible. Delivery times vary based on when you order, and where you are in the country. I got mine in 4 weeks. YMMV.

3) Not really. They did a one time special at the end of Q3 where they would match you with an inventory car that cost more than what you ordered, and ate the difference. The price is the price.

You will not regret the decision. Amazing car.

Thanks for everyone for chiming in.

Great experience just now at the Telsa dealer. They offered to let me take one overnight. She did confirm that the cutoff for deliverers before March was yesterday. I am not sure how true that is but not sure how untrue either.

Thanks for everyone for chiming in.

Great experience just now at the Telsa dealer. They offered to let me take one overnight. She did confirm that the cutoff for deliverers before March was yesterday. I am not sure how true that is but not sure how untrue either.

The first one is free, little boy. ;)

For production, they tend to do something like this every quarter:

1. Build for the European market for a month
2. Build for the East coast for a month
3, Build for the West Coast for a month.

This should optimizes shipping, and maximizes the actual number of sales they close in a quarter.

At a micro level, I presume they allocate to the delivery centers at a rate they can sustain. I got my car (in Cleveland - no dealers in Michigan) much faster than others in Florida, which seems to be a hotter market. The busier the dealer, the longer the wait. It's speculation on my part, but not too far fetched. Or I got lucky.

The SAs also seem to be getting good at underpromising and overdelivering, if for no other reason than to preserve their own sanity.

You're only putting $100 at risk by ordering. Hop in line. Then you can start to manically obsess over your purchase for weeks on end.