Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few last minute questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The advertised 330 miles range is very generous under ideal conditions. If your commute is 200+ miles a day then don't get an EV.
I would add that perhaps 330 is achievable at 70F with no wind, more or less leveled road when driving 45-50 mph. And that is the purpose of the maximum range advertised. On my city commute on good days I easily do better than the nominal energy consumption. However, at 10F on a highway the range is roughly halved. So is 10%-90% is 264 miles, then under bad conditions expect 132 miles. This is actually plenty of driving to do between charges. I agree that if the commute is over 200 miles and NO charging is expected, then EV is not a good choice. But often if one agrees to adjust his/her plans by keeping in mind the EV charging, than even 200+ a day isn't a problem. Uber drivers use Teslas with no problem.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I realize this is not a car that would cover a 225-mile trip on a single charge in my last post in reply to.
I have actually done a 220 mile trip in a 310-mile (degraded to 290-mile) Model 3 in good weather with no problems driving around 55 mph. I was driving in the area with no any chargers at all. So, it is not that it is not possible, but driving for 3+ hours with no stop isn't fun, and if I had a change to stop for supercharger and a break, I would gladly do that.

how many miles should I expect it to get in cold weather conditions (20s F)?

My commute isn’t that long, but was hoping it could make it from DC to NJ (about a 225 mile trip).
Driving an EV will mean some adjustments to your driving habits. In this case, An extra 5 mins on this trip for a quick charging stop. My general rule for road trips is to assume for every 2 1/2 to 3 hours of driving a 20 min charging stop (minimum time needed to go to bathroom, get coffee/beverage and check my phone). Generally in that 20 min time, the car will have charged enough to go another 2-3 hours.

I find that cold reduces range by about 25% on road trips. The bulk of the loss is heating the battery up, so less loss one long trip vs many short trips which have to re-heat battery after each trip.

Play around with abetterrouteplanner.com. It does a very good job of predicting energy usage and takes into account speed, weather, elevation change among other factors. This will allow you to better set your expectations.

Here is an example of your trip:
1672188532533.png