Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few last minute questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I go ahead with the model y, I will purchase in December 31st. A few questions I have now are:

A VIN number has been assigned and the sales rep told me that it’s a 2023 model. However, I thought that Tesla doesn’t necessarily have year models because they are continually updating their design. I’m mostly concerned about what type of battery it has. They should be able to tell me if it uses the 4680 or 2170? Is one more preferable?

I’m concerned about the battery because I was reading with the recent cold weather that many Tesla owners reported that they had difficulties actually charging their cars and on some cases couldn’t.

Should I expect a significant decrease in range in extreme cold? I’m up for getting the model y long range and the main reason I’m considering the Tesla is because of the range. I need it to go at least 275 without worrying.

I’ll be keeping the Tesla outdoors. I don’t have a garage.

I’m not in any way trolling here. I’ve been a fan of Tesla for years.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Most all shipped vehicles from mid November are a 2023. You can confirm easily with the vin they provided. If it’s a LR or a P it will be the standard battery not the 4680 which has only been done with a few AWD models. (you likely wont get one of those). As you ordered in March I personally would jump on this with all you saved.

A couple searches would answer all these questions.

Tesla does continually roll out new features but they still have to assign cars to years for a variety of reasons like insurance.

SA can tell you which battery. Which is better is debatable at this point. 4680 hasn’t been out long enough and not enough is known yet. Both should be good and not a point of worry.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the cold but somewhat depends on where you live. If you live in Buffalo NY and don’t have a garage, a Tesla may not be a good car for you.

How concerned are you about extreme cold? How many days a year do you plan on driving in sub zero temps?

Again the 275 miles of range comment needs more context. If you need 275 miles of range daily without charging, a tesla probably isn’t right for you.

I’m concerned about the battery because I was reading with the recent cold weather that many Tesla owners reported that they had difficulties actually charging their cars and on some cases couldn’t.
The only thing that would prevent you for charging due to cold is if you use a level 1 (120v household outlet) charger. It's possible that there is not enough energy to warm up the battery and charge it. Here is a video of a car cooled down to -20F being charged at a supercharger. This is a very extreme case. If you have a level 2 charger at home (NEMA 14-50, for example) then you will be perfectly fine.

I Deep Froze My Tesla And Immediately Plugged It Into A Supercharger To See What Happens

Should I expect a significant decrease in range in extreme cold? I’m up for getting the model y long range and the main reason I’m considering the Tesla is because of the range. I need it to go at least 275 without worrying.
You will not get 275 miles with a LR Model Y. Especially in the cold. Unless you keep the speed way down. You can lose 40% of the range in the extreme cold. The company EVinsulate sells products that will cut your wintertime range loss in half. One problem is you don't want to frequently run the battery down close to zero nor do you want to frequently charge up to 100%. The charge speed tapers off as the battery fills up, even at a supercharger. So topping up to 100% takes longer than you might expect.

For road trips, many people will try to keep the battery between 5% - 10% and 50% or 60%. This reduces the time you spend charging. But even if you went from 5% to 90% you would only get about 280 miles if you keep the speed down. At normal highway speeds, you would get significantly less range.

You might want to search for EV range speed graphs. Typically you'll lose about 40 miles of range by increasing your speed from 60 mph to 70 mph. This works the other way as well. If you're in a situation where you need to get all the range possible to get to the next charger then just go slow.

That's okay. I do that too. My biggest concern is the exterior finish being degraded over time. So I try to wash and wax it every couple of weeks or so.

Thanks for your replies and sorry I wasn’t too clear. I would need at least 275 miles on a single charge not per week. With the recent extreme cold. I’m concerned about range and being able to charge the car. With temps in the 10s and 20s, would range drop significantly?

I live in Maryland near the DC border.

Thanks for your replies and sorry I wasn’t too clear. I would need at least 275 miles on a single charge not per week. With the recent extreme cold. I’m concerned about range and being able to charge the car. With temps in the 10s and 20s, would range drop significantly?

I live in Maryland near the DC border.
The advertised 330 miles range is very generous under ideal conditions. If your commute is 200+ miles a day then don't get an EV.

how many miles should I expect it to get in cold weather conditions (20s F)?

My commute isn’t that long, but was hoping it could make it from DC to NJ (about a 225 mile trip).

This is getting frustrating because it seems that you are about to plunge into a big financial commitment without having done even the most basic research that you could literally do in a matter of a few minutes.

The only way you are going to get the rated range is to operate the car in the Mediterranean climate of southern california and keep the speed down to around 55mph. The claimed range is completely useless for real world driving.

If you drive at normal highway speeds you will get, at best, 80% of the rated range, again in ideal temps.

In cold temps the car will lose substantial amounts of range, you can get as little as 60%-70% of the rated range in very cold temperatures if you want the cabin to be at a normal temperature and drive at a normal speed. It's also not normal to charge the car to 100% for daily driving. You charge it to 80-90 and only charge it to 100 for trips.

There are many strategies for dealing with cold weather range loss such as pre-warming the car before departing while it is still plugged in to the charger.

You are asking about the range because you might make a trip from DC to NJ, without being aware apparently that there are probably 20 super charger stations available on that corridor where you could top the battery up in 15 minutes during your drive.

Do more homework and see if the car is still a good fit for you.

My commute isn’t that long, but was hoping it could make it from DC to NJ (about a 225 mile trip).
I'm also in the VA/DC area, just picked up my MY last week, so far commuting about 25 miles on route 28(60-65mph) and the toll road(70-75mph) take about 10% of the battery, round trip of 50 mile is about 20%. Temperature has been in the 30s. I would think in winter for your trip to NJ you will need 1 stop for charging.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
If I go ahead with the model y, I will purchase in December 31st. A few questions I have now are:

A VIN number has been assigned and the sales rep told me that it’s a 2023 model. However, I thought that Tesla doesn’t necessarily have year models because they are continually updating their design. I’m mostly concerned about what type of battery it has. They should be able to tell me if it uses the 4680 or 2170? Is one more preferable?

2023 VIN but doesn't really mean much to us, moreso for your insurance company. The features/items are not guaranteed even though it's a 2023 model. Example, my 2023 might have things that yours might not. Yours might also have some things that mine won't have even if both have the same model trim. There are baseline on what you do get but things that are not advertised are not guaranteed. You can ask your sales advisor since you already have your VIN regarding the battery.

If you're in the extreme cold, might run into issues expecting 275. I'm no expert so others can chime in on real world experience.

The 4680/2170 question has the same answer as you got back in July.
4680 is a Model Y-AWD, 2170 is everything else. Different prices, different range - just like it was in July

Let's assume you make it 225 miles (which is unlikely). If you do, you are arriving with 0% battery. It is far better to plan a quick Supercharger stop, actually make it to your destination, and have some battery energy left when you get there.

Road trips are best planned around the locations of Superchargers. Driving to your absolute max range is useless unless as you reach 0%, some sort of charger magically appears as the car shuts down....

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn't mean to make it sound like I haven't researched this. I have been thinking about the Model Y seriously for a year and Tesla overall for a while.

I'm basically just having last minute jitters and asking all of these questions for my peace of mind :)

I do now understand that there probably isn't a vehicle that can get me from DC to NJ on one charge. I do want to avoid supercharging too often, because it does seem that doing too much would degrade the battery? I'll try to stick with level 2.

I'll also do the best I can to keep the battery from draining fully.

Reactions: WyoDude
I'm basically just having last minute jitters and asking all of these questions for my peace of mind :)
The questions you’re asking though imply some serious ignorance as to what you’re getting yourself into. I don’t mean that in a hostile way - just an honest observation.

You need to seriously recalibrate your expectations for this car and how it will need to be operated given your use case.

I don't think they do and I think "ignorance" is a hostile word.

Anyway, I basically didn't expect 180 miles of range in the cold, but that's ok. Beyond that, I'm not sure what is ignorant about the questions.

I think not knowing exactly what features one will be getting is ignorant. One would expect it to be clearer. I feel it should be listed somewhere. I shouldn't have to ask for it.

I do now understand that there probably isn't a vehicle that can get me from DC to NJ on one charge. I do want to avoid supercharging too often, because it does seem that doing too much would degrade the battery? I'll try to stick with level 2.

I'll also do the best I can to keep the battery from draining fully.
you're getting 10K miles of supercharging for free, might as well make use of it on your NJ trips :)
and enjoy the 2nd $3750 discount is icing on the cake.

I don't think they do and I think "ignorance" is a hostile word.
I’m sorry you think that. There’s nothing hostile intended. But you do seem to be exhibiting a, well, I guess let’s call it a “lack of knowledge” as to what you’re getting into. Maybe that’s more palatable.

People are taking you at your word and explaining that what you articulated as requirements - i.e. “I would need at least 275 miles on a single charge” - are not generally reasonable for the vehicle you’ve chosen. Sounds like you’ve changed those requirements as the conversation has gone on, and that may change the overall answer, but it’s most important that you have reasonable and realistic expectations as to what you’re getting yourself into.

Anyway. Good luck with the new car. 👍🏻

Reactions: GoodKarma