Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few Model 3 Questions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am a (two week) new Model 3 owner and there are a few quirks I thought I might get some feedback from.

1. Is there any way to lock the charging port while in the car to prevent it from opening in a car wash (which it has, twice)

2. I cant figure out how to hit "resume" on the cruise control and the manual does not tell me. I have just the basic cruise control as I mostly drive in the city.

3. I have an iPhone 10 and for some reason when its connected to the car and I get a text, it only vibrates. Yes, the side button is set to ring, and the phone rings (through the speakers).

4. I set the seats/wheel/mirrors initially when I bought the car two weeks ago, but I want to adjust it. I do every time I get into the car and put it in drive, and then I hit Save. But the new settings dont save, and it reverts back to my original settings. Is there a way to maybe override the original setting?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I am a former Volt owner and LOVE this car!!!!!

Hi, I am a (two week) new Model 3 owner and there are a few quirks I thought I might get some feedback from.

1. Is there any way to lock the charging port while in the car to prevent it from opening in a car wash (which it has, twice)

2. I cant figure out how to hit "resume" on the cruise control and the manual does not tell me. I have just the basic cruise control as I mostly drive in the city.

3. I have an iPhone 10 and for some reason when its connected to the car and I get a text, it only vibrates. Yes, the side button is set to ring, and the phone rings (through the speakers).

4. I set the seats/wheel/mirrors initially when I bought the car two weeks ago, but I want to adjust it. I do every time I get into the car and put it in drive, and then I hit Save. But the new settings dont save, and it reverts back to my original settings. Is there a way to maybe override the original setting?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I am a former Volt owner and LOVE this car!!!!!
I too have a Volt. But for your questions.

1) I never had this happen, I wonder if you are using one with brushes that act like pressing on it.
2) Not sure it is possible but HOPEFULLY this will be corrected in a future release.
3)??
4) Might be a bug as the seats, mirrors and steering wheel is VERY different for my wife and I. I am 5'8 and she is 4'11. And our profiles seen to be working fine. But they do not seem to be paired with our phones. We have to manually change when we change drivers. A minor pain.

For #1, are you putting the car in Park? Instead, you could shift to Neutral (when in D, push up lightly and hold, car will go to N — same thing from reverse except push/hold down lightly), if needed can apply the foot brake. This should keep the charge port door shut.

For #3, it doesn't sound exactly like the behavior, but I suspect you are activating the new Do Not Disturb While Driving feature in iOS 11. I personally really like this feature. The question should be why do you care about getting text message notifications while you are driving?

iOS 11

How to use the Do Not Disturb while driving feature

I customized the default DNDWD message slightly to auto reply to any incoming text message while I'm driving with "call me if you need to contact me"

For #1, if you're talking about the type of automatic car wash where you drive in and stay in the car and it's happening in park, instead of shifting to neutral like suggested above and continuing to press the brake, you should be able to put the car in hold mode by deep depressing the brake pedal. It keeps in it drive and if your doors are locked, the charging port shouldn't open from external force from the car wash.

For #2, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by wanting to resume the standard cruise control. Do you mean you want it to automatically return to the set speed if you have to tap on the brake? I drove around for about a week with the standard cruise control before EAP was enabled on my car and I don't think that's possible. The best you can do is reengage by pulling down on the right stalk, but someone without EAP may have more up to date info.

#4 sounds like a bug somewhere. Which firmware version are you on? I haven't had an issues saving and restoring settings after adjusting the seat, steering wheel, or mirrors. Maybe see if being in park while saving, but it shouldn't matter.

Reactions: emorog
) Might be a bug as the seats, mirrors and steering wheel is VERY different for my wife and I. I am 5'8 and she is 4'11. And our profiles seen to be working fine. But they do not seem to be paired with our phones. We have to manually change when we change drivers. A minor pain.

Do you manually change your phones by pushing the Bluetooth sign when a different driver gets in the car?

4) Might be a bug as the seats, mirrors and steering wheel is VERY different for my wife and I. I am 5'8 and she is 4'11. And our profiles seen to be working fine. But they do not seem to be paired with our phones. We have to manually change when we change drivers. A minor pain.

...yes, if my wife and I are both in the car, we sometimes have to tap on the BT icon and select the iPhone we want connected to our Tesla.

Ah yes, I'll have to keep this in mind. I asked the local showroom about this use case. My wife and I carpool and use very different seat and mirror settings. The memory will be great, but likely I'll drive 9/10 of the way to work, get out, and she'll drive the rest of the way to her job. It'll require a manual selection of seat position, but that's to be expected, because even if there was a feature where it switched drivers when one phone disappeared from range, she'd be in the driver's seat before I'm out of bluetooth range anyway. And obviously it would be dangerous to have the seat moving around on you if it temporarily loses connection while you're driving. Unless there was something REALLY clever where it only worked in park, and noticed that my phone exited the car and she stayed in it.. but again, too likely to get screwed up for such an edge case to be worth designing for.

#3--alerts on iPhone do not get passed to the BT audio system. Problem on all Tesla models. So no text notifications etc. One of the reasons I like to use an Apple Watch--I get haptics and audio alerts.

Totally forgot about this. This drove me mad when we took my Golf on a multi-week roadtrip, typically with bluetooth music streaming from my phone, and I was getting no alerts until many many many hours later when I thought to check my phone at a stop. Now that I have the watch that's mostly gone away, although I don't find it's particularly reliable about sending me text alerts...