Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few Model X Plaid issues that the service center can't take care of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thoroughly enjoying my new X Plaid, but there are a few issues that the service center has been unable able to do anything about and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience or any solutions?

1. Glove box makes a somewhat loud tanging spring noise every time I close it.

I have not been able to close the glove box without making the spring noise and it makes the 140K car instantly sound like a bad plastic toy made in China.
The service center tried to replace the glove box unit and found that the new part also makes the same noise, which has led to the associate telling me "So it's completely normal."
I find it a bit hard to believe that the most expensive Tesla being sold today is supposed to make a tanging noise every time the glove box is closed.

2. The rear dome light randomly comes on and off while driving.

Every now and then I will see through the rearview mirror that the rear dome light has turned on for no reason while driving, even while the dome light is set to "Off". I can turn it off by turning those lights on and off on the main screen, but it may or may not randomly turn back on during the same drive or the next. Not a big deal, but super annoying.

The service center's fix was to confirm that "Ambient Lighting" was on and to turn it off. (I don't think that was the issue at all) I have witnessed it happening again multiple times regardless of the Ambient Lighting setting and have no idea what is causing it.

3. Charge port door sometimes doesn't close all the way.

This has been happening sporadically since delivery, but at one point got much worse and was happening almost every time, then somehow kind of fixed itself and now hasn't happened in almost a couple of weeks. I am not sure if the software updates had anything to do with it.

Again, the service center didn't seem to care, saying they could not replicate the issue during the visit. I explained before and during the visit that it happens randomly and may not be replicated on a specific day, but fell on deaf ears.

4. Left Gullwing Door sometimes scrapes a small part of the adjacent black window trim piece

They "adjusted" the door, which now makes it sit noticeably lower compared to the other side when closed, and throws the window trim alignment out of whack. And it still sometimes slightly scrapes the adjacent piece when closing, as I can see a fresh smaller scrape on the same spot that was touched up during the visit. They didn't have the window trim piece part available at the time and I'm scheduled to have it replaced, but I plan to tell them to just have the door "adjusted" back to a flush position and forget about fixing the scraping issue, since one side of the door sitting noticeably lower than the other side bothers me much more than a small scratch on a trim piece.

Other than that, I do absolutely love the car. Haha.
None of the issues are a deal breaker for me, but it would be great if anyone knows any solutions, especially on issues 1. and 2.

On a side note, I find that going to a good service center location/associate makes a huge difference in the resolution of the car's issues. In only exactly two months of ownership, I already have a favorite Service Center/Staff and a particular Service Center/Staff that I would do everything to avoid in the future.

Service Center absolutely have their own personalities - when you find a good one, you stick with it. I understand your concern on everything here except for the glovebox - for something you open once every 6 months, the sound it makes doesn't REALLY matter, does it?
It literally sounds like a cartoon spring noise sound effect every time, and I've never heard something like it in any car much less one that costs 100k+.

Of course nothing really "matters" if the car still moves :)
But I'd be very surprised if this was the case with every new Model X out there.

Service Center absolutely have their own personalities - when you find a good one, you stick with it. I understand your concern on everything here except for the glovebox - for something you open once every 6 months, the sound it makes doesn't REALLY matter, does it?

That might be you. I open and close my glovebox to grab my Fastrak or to grab a disposable mask at least a few times a week.

Reactions: shahhm
You are lucky your glovebox even works. My X plaid refresh glovebox literally opens about an inch and no more. I think there is something wedged in the hinge mechanism but i am so tired of going back to the SC and experiencing 2 steps forward and 1 back, that I am going to ignore it for now. Part of the $130K charm i guess…

You are lucky your glovebox even works. My X plaid refresh glovebox literally opens about an inch and no more. I think there is something wedged in the hinge mechanism but i am so tired of going back to the SC and experiencing 2 steps forward and 1 back, that I am going to ignore it for now. Part of the $130K charm i guess…
lol
We are certainly paying for owning a Tesla in more ways than the money.
It’s like living with a genius who refuses to wear pants.

I've been thoroughly enjoying my new X Plaid, but there are a few issues that the service center has been unable able to do anything about and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience or any solutions?

1. Glove box makes a somewhat loud tanging spring noise every time I close it.

I have not been able to close the glove box without making the spring noise and it makes the 140K car instantly sound like a bad plastic toy made in China.
The service center tried to replace the glove box unit and found that the new part also makes the same noise, which has led to the associate telling me "So it's completely normal."
I find it a bit hard to believe that the most expensive Tesla being sold today is supposed to make a tanging noise every time the glove box is closed.

2. The rear dome light randomly comes on and off while driving.

Every now and then I will see through the rearview mirror that the rear dome light has turned on for no reason while driving, even while the dome light is set to "Off". I can turn it off by turning those lights on and off on the main screen, but it may or may not randomly turn back on during the same drive or the next. Not a big deal, but super annoying.

The service center's fix was to confirm that "Ambient Lighting" was on and to turn it off. (I don't think that was the issue at all) I have witnessed it happening again multiple times regardless of the Ambient Lighting setting and have no idea what is causing it.

3. Charge port door sometimes doesn't close all the way.

This has been happening sporadically since delivery, but at one point got much worse and was happening almost every time, then somehow kind of fixed itself and now hasn't happened in almost a couple of weeks. I am not sure if the software updates had anything to do with it.

Again, the service center didn't seem to care, saying they could not replicate the issue during the visit. I explained before and during the visit that it happens randomly and may not be replicated on a specific day, but fell on deaf ears.

4. Left Gullwing Door sometimes scrapes a small part of the adjacent black window trim piece

They "adjusted" the door, which now makes it sit noticeably lower compared to the other side when closed, and throws the window trim alignment out of whack. And it still sometimes slightly scrapes the adjacent piece when closing, as I can see a fresh smaller scrape on the same spot that was touched up during the visit. They didn't have the window trim piece part available at the time and I'm scheduled to have it replaced, but I plan to tell them to just have the door "adjusted" back to a flush position and forget about fixing the scraping issue, since one side of the door sitting noticeably lower than the other side bothers me much more than a small scratch on a trim piece.

Other than that, I do absolutely love the car. Haha.
None of the issues are a deal breaker for me, but it would be great if anyone knows any solutions, especially on issues 1. and 2.

On a side note, I find that going to a good service center location/associate makes a huge difference in the resolution of the car's issues. In only exactly two months of ownership, I already have a favorite Service Center/Staff and a particular Service Center/Staff that I would do everything to avoid in the future.
wow. I have none of these issues. Sorry to hear this.

My falcon wing door had the same issue as #4 on your list. The door handles didn't line up at delivery either. My service center was able to fix the issue. The aligned the door handles to match. The removed the old window trim and replaced it with a new one. They actually pushed the window trim back a little further so it doesn't get in the way of the falcon wing door during closing. It was much easier to adjust the window trim than the falcon wing door itself. Hope that helps when speaking to your service center.

Perhaps they were able to work out the problems in the later productions. Mine was manufactured in December 21.

Or you are lucky! Either way, glad you don’t have to deal with these things.
Jackka, I feel your pain. Mine was manufactured in Dec. 21 as well, and is currently at the service center because the dome lights won't turn on at all. They worked fine until I took the car in for some creaking and rattling noises it was making, and to replace a middle row passenger seat (was delivered with a tiny tear in it by the seatbelt). The fixed that (replaced a half shaft) and when I got it back the dome lights wouldn't work. They've had it since Thursday and are not able to figure out yet what is causing this.

Looks like the spring noise from the glovebox is still happening. Heard this on a brand new 2023 Model X today -- the SA said this is "normal" and happens on all the X and S's. I find that hard to believe...

That might be you. I open and close my glovebox to grab my Fastrak or to grab a disposable mask at least a few times a week.
Easier fix might be to permanently mount the FasTrak to the windshield glass, above your head. My EZ-Pass and Kansas Turnpike sticker sit up there and are invisible from anywhere inside the car. I keep masks in the door pocket. Glove compartment is too far away for the driver to access anyway.

Looks like the spring noise from the glovebox is still happening. Heard this on a brand new 2023 Model X today -- the SA said this is "normal" and happens on all the X and S's. I find that hard to believe...
My new S has a pretty prominent spring noise. I can ask my dad about his X later. I don't really use the glove box much so doesn't really bother me.