Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few newbie questions, audio drain and charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I have been reading this forum for a few months now and am just over 1 week away from taking delivery of my new Model S. I have 2 questions that are probably very easy to answer.

How much does having the stereo (I am getting the upgraded audio) up loud affect the driving range. Is it actually noticeable or too small to be an issue?

Can you actually drive off with the charging cable still in? I am sure you shouldn't be able to but it would be just my luck to be the first!

Thanks!

Congrats on your soon to be delivered car, I’m sure you’re going to enjoy it.

No, the stereo will not impact your range in any significant way what so ever, you will not notice playing music or not or at high volume.

You cannot take the car out of Park if it detects at cable in the charge port.

I'll just add that on those cold days, range will drop as the battery has to heat itself (and you, assuming you're using the in-cabin heater). However the flip side is that the seat warmer doesn't use much energy, and on those beautiful hot summer days, the air conditioner also doesn't use much. Others have posted statistics over on TMC over the years, but I'll just quote my personal experience while travelling in 100+F Arizona heat, being stopped on a highway for an hour twenty minutes (because of an accident ahead), we were totally comfortable in the car listening to an audiobook, and lost only 6 miles of range during that time. I got out after about 40 minutes to see if I could see anything ahead, and the heat hit me like a boxer's punch.

If you have charging where you park overnight, you can time your charge to finish (by choosing the start time) about the time you want to leave in the morning; that will automatically warm the battery and the range loss will be much less.

Maybe this is more info than you were looking for; if so I apologize.

Hi All, I have been reading this forum for a few months now and am just over 1 week away from taking delivery of my new Model S. I have 2 questions that are probably very easy to answer.

How much does having the stereo (I am getting the upgraded audio) up loud affect the driving range. Is it actually noticeable or too small to be an issue?

Can you actually drive off with the charging cable still in? I am sure you shouldn't be able to but it would be just my luck to be the first!

Thanks!
I'm running a full aftermarket setup, with a 1k watt Alpine amp powering everything. I haven't noticed the slightest issue of power drain, or flickering of lights.