Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few news tidbits from a visit to the Menlo Park showroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stereo in Model S is louder than any other stereo in the world, because its volume control goes to 11. It really does.

Lol, I had not seen or heard of the movie spinal tap. My wife recognized it from the clip. Is it true Elon wanted the Model S volume to go up to 11 because of this pop culture movie? He definitely is a movies guy, I wouldn't be surprised. Makes for a good story when having guests in your car, I like it! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeK, Thanks for the additional info! Were you able to determine whether the current cup holders will accommodate standard 3" diameter water bottles? You mentioned on the Opportunity Console thread that you'd try to check that next time you stopped by a Tesla store. Thx.

Also, if they have a car with textile interior at the Palo Alto event would you mind checking to see if it has those kangaroo pockets on the front seats like the leather interior front seats do? Haven't gotten the answer to this elsewhere yet. Thx.

I'm really sorry, since this was an impromptu trip by the showroom, I didn't have the water bottle in the car. I will take it with me to the event next weekend, though, and I've made a note to check for the kangaroo pouch on the textile, if available.

By the way, the car in the showroom had some music on a USB stick. I was able to find a song I am familiar with ("Sail" by AWOLNATION) -- this is a track with a ton of bass, and it sounded just fine with the EQ set flat and the speakers centered, with the windows open. Turning the Dolby on and off definitely made the sound different. If anything, the bass was a bit beefier with the Dolby off. I'm sorry I didn't bring my newly-purchased USB stick with my hand-picked tunes, but this was an impromptu visit. I will drop by again and/or bring the stick to the upcoming event to try it out, but having tried that one track, I'm feeling fine about the audio system.

Thanks for the info; this is certainly reassuring. However, I also heard a similar song with enough bass in the song to evaluate the low end range of the Model S stereo using adjusted EQ setting, sound centering adjustment, Dolby on/off, etc. and not from USB in order to compare the sound with my Hybrid Escalade. The result was that the sound quality of the Model S is inferior to my Hybrid Escalade due to the minimal low range response - at least in my opinion.

Perhaps the Model S does have good low end response and is adequate for most people, and I'm just used to the magnificent sounds that come out of the Hybrid Escalade from any source. Although I'm not an audiophile, it is just my opinion; I think the Model S needs to beef up the bass of its premium sound system since all cars in the just the 70k price range have this beefed-up low end response via Mark Levinson, Bose, whatever.

There are trade offs to everything. And I'm just going to have to deal with it. I hope driving gas free, free of OPEC's whims, and never having to waste time out of my day to go to gas station will make up for the 4 problems I find with Model S. I think it might, but it remains to be seen - just my own opinion. I certainly am excited to take delivery that is for sure.

Hi. I'm planning a visit to California (Bay Area) at the end of August, and would love to check out the Model S. Is the Menlo Park showroom the best location to check out the Model S? I suspect a test-drive would be out of the question, but at least I want to sit in one.

Thanks.

Is the Menlo Park showroom the best location to check out the Model S?

Depends on when and just where you are. Menlo has less traffic, but it's open less hours. Santana Row is open something like 10-9 every day, but is more crowded. Right now, both apparently have Test Drive cars you can't test drive, but they're the closest to production we've seen outside of the Founders who have received cars.

Menlo has some other fun stuff, such as the body prototype for Roadster, Roadster VP1. It also has the original Model S alpha complete with interior filled with electronics, duct-taped body pieces, and Aston Martin pivot door handles.

Depends on when and just where you are. Menlo has less traffic, but it's open less hours. Santana Row is open something like 10-9 every day, but is more crowded. Right now, both apparently have Test Drive cars you can't test drive, but they're the closest to production we've seen outside of the Founders who have received cars.

Menlo has some other fun stuff, such as the body prototype for Roadster, Roadster VP1. It also has the original Model S alpha complete with interior filled with electronics, duct-taped body pieces, and Aston Martin pivot door handles.

Menlo also has the big glass window into the service area - always something good to see there.

The result was that the sound quality of the Model S is inferior to my Hybrid Escalade due to the minimal low range response - at least in my opinion.

Yup, I've read your posts saying that you feel that your Escalade has better sound, and it certainly may. I've never heard one so I can't offer an opinion on that specific comparison. OTOH, my RAV4-EV has been upgraded with a/d/s amps, JL Audio speakers and a JL sub. It sounds great, and I'm also a bass player, so I have an opinion on bass response. That's my basis for comparison, and on the one track I got to try, the model S audio sounded just fine to me. I didn't have my USB stick along so I couldn't try my other specially chosen test tracks, but I will at my next opportunity.

I just thought it was important to counter the ongoing criticism with an in person report of perfectly satisfactory experience. Let me also say as I have before that I was underwhelmed by the sound in the car I drove at the Fremont event. Quite underwhelmed. But that was unfamiliar, possibly streamed audio, so it may have been the source, or it may be that further refinements have been made. I'm feeling much better about the sound now, and I hope that my upcoming testing with more tracks will bear that out! :)

Last edited:
JL Audio subs pretty much set the hi-end home stereo market on it's head with their Fathom series powered sub-woofers; they are universally regarding as in the "Class A" category.

I give a lot of credence to your review of the bass output of the Model S given your background as a bass player and the equipment you installed in your car.

One suggestion I would make is to use the highest bit rate the Model S system can sample in your demo material next time your at the Menlo Park showroom.

[...]or it may be that further refinements have been made. I'm feeling much better about the sound now, and I hope that my upcoming testing with more tracks will bear that out! :)

It wasn't in the last shareholder's meeting, but not long before, that Elon mentioned, as an example of what they were working on, that they were optimizing the sound system. I don't know if there is a possibility that some of the test cars cars have those improvements, and others don't. But it's something that was being worked on not too long ago.

Yup, I've read your posts saying that you feel that your Escalade has better sound, and it certainly may. I've never heard one so I can't offer an opinion on that specific comparison. OTOH, my RAV4-EV has been upgraded with a/d/s amps, JL Audio speakers and a JL sub. It sounds great, and I'm also a bass player, so I have an opinion on bass response. That's my basis for comparison, and on the one track I got to try, the model S audio sounded just fine to me. I didn't have my USB stick along so I couldn't try my other specially chosen test tracks, but I will at my next opportunity.

I just thought it was important to counter the ongoing criticism with an in person report of perfectly satisfactory experience. Let me also say as I have before that I was underwhelmed by the sound in the car I drove at the Fremont event. Quite underwhelmed. But that was unfamiliar, possibly streamed audio, so it may have been the source, or it may be that further refinements have been made. I'm feeling much better about the sound now, and I hope that my upcoming testing with more tracks will bear that out! :)
I think that's a very reasonable and balanced comment. I very much enjoy listening to music, but about half the time in the car I listen to sports or news, so it's not a be-all, end-all thing for me that the audio system be perfect. And, if one's ear is so finely tuned to the most subtle aspects of music playback, then how on earth can you stand to listen in a car of any kind in the first place? No matter how loud, the road noise (and ICE noise in an ICE vehicle) can certainly be heard in the background ruining one's otherwise perfect audio.

I think that the vast majority of buyers are more like me...I want a decent audio system, but I'm not willing to pay $2000 more to have a perfect one. For those who absolutely MUST have some audiophile's wet dream of a stereo, then just plan to do an aftermarket upgrade and not complain to the point that the rest of us are subsidizing your personal preferences.

I haven't heard the JL home subs, but the one in my car is a good performer. (I'm putting Seaton SubMersive HPs and Velodyne SC-IWs in my home listening room, which is nearing completion...)

My USB stick contains AIFF, WAV, ALAC, 256kbps AAC and 320kbps MP3 versions of my test files, so I aim to see which of these formats the car is able to play, and whether there's any obvious difference between them.

One thing that will be interesting will be to see how the audio sounds when the car is on the road. Something that sounds fine sitting still may sound a bit thin when it's competing with road noise.

For those who absolutely MUST have some audiophile's wet dream of a stereo, then just plan to do an aftermarket upgrade and not complain to the point that the rest of us are subsidizing your personal preferences.

And hope that the installer does not drill into the battery the way some have drilled into the Prius' battery. My one and only foray into an aftermarket audio system convinced me I never wanted anything to do with an aftermarket system ever again.

And hope that the installer does not drill into the battery the way some have drilled into the Prius' battery. My one and only foray into an aftermarket audio system convinced me I never wanted anything to do with an aftermarket system ever again.

That's a legitimate concern, as is avoidance of high-voltage wiring, but it can be worked around by dealing with a good installer who is willing to listen and learn. The installer who did my RAV4-EV back in 2002 or 2003 had never done an EV before (not a big surprise!), and I chatted with him extensively to alert him to the fact that the battery pack was under the floor of the car. When attaching the a/d/s amp under the driver's seat, where normally they would have screwed it to the floorboards, they instead affixed it to the carpet. All the other wires were simply run under carpet and trim, and the only other holes they had to drill were in plastic trim to install the high-mount tweeters in the back and on the doors.

If you work with a quality shop, it should be possible to do aftermarket stuff without breaking anything.

True enough. However, the HPC is hardwired and provides a convenient and attractive solution for cable organization. Yes, I could do a tidy job of mounting the UMC and hanging the cable, but I'm planning on owning this car for a long time, and I'd rather have the elegant solution offered by the HPWC.

Fortunately, since I've known for three years that I was buying a Model S, we pre-wired for this connection during a remodel. I am currently using the circuit for my RAV4-EV charger, but the wiring was sized for a Tesla-size circuit (and pulled in conduit).

The HPC can be installed on a 50A line. It has an internal setting to limit its maximum current based on what the line can safely provide.

(I, on the other hand, also decided I didn't need it and put in a 14-50 outlet.)