Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few P85D questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New question: Is the range arguably better with an early P85D compared to P85+? Assume 21" wheels and summer performance tires.

I did read @NOLA_Mike's response as well. (I'm just not quoting it.)

The one thing I would add is that your split between highway driving and non-highway driving may be a factor, if you drive more on the highway than Mike does, as torque sleep was added with the P85D. Torque sleep works best on the highway, and with range mode on. So if Mike wasn't turning range mode on when on the highway, things could be even more of a wash, or the P85D may even have a slight edge.

I did read @NOLA_Mike's response as well. (I'm just not quoting it.)

The one thing I would add is that your split between highway driving and non-highway driving may be a factor, if you drive more on the highway than Mike does, as torque sleep was added with the P85D. Torque sleep works best on the highway, and with range mode on. So if Mike wasn't turning range mode on when on the highway, things could be even more of a wash, or the P85D may even have a slight edge.

I more or less agree with this. I did (over the course of 41,750 miles in the P85D) experiment with Range Mode a little bit on the highway (like when I had to make a 245 mile run between Charlotte and Atlanta on a single charge) and that's what I am basing my opinion on.

Also note that the Rated Range on the P85D new is less than it was on the P85+ new.

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
Where can I find historical rated range ratings?

The P85+ was 265:

IMG_0051_4.jpg

The P85D was 242:

IMG_0292.jpg

Mike

Welp, I've now gone and done the deed. I will soon own a P85D(+). I'm very excited!

Next question: Is it possible to swap entire headliners between two cars? ... including A pillars from light to dark? Of course, both cars have Pano roofs.

Next question: In my P85+, my EZpass and dashcam both work in the windshield in the "dots" area. The P85D doesn't have this dots area at all. (A) Does the regular EZPass really work in the nosecone? (B) Will a Blackview dashcam get any GPS signal in the P85D?

thanks.

Welp, I've now gone and done the deed. I will soon own a P85D(+). I'm very excited!

Next question: Is it possible to swap entire headliners between two cars? ... including A pillars from light to dark? Of course, both cars have Pano roofs.

Next question: In my P85+, my EZpass and dashcam both work in the windshield in the "dots" area. The P85D doesn't have this dots area at all. (A) Does the regular EZPass really work in the nosecone? (B) Will a Blackview dashcam get any GPS signal in the P85D?

thanks.

By saying P85D+ do you mean P85D with Ludicrous? If so, I think we've all adopted P85DL as the way to refer to that model here, although some people bother with underlining P85D. (Not me.)

To answer your questions, my Blackvue sometimes picked up the GPS signal in the car, but I think it was flaky, and I'm pretty sure I just disabled it a while ago.

As for the EZ pass, I had a license plate version on the P85D at first, when I was using the Magneplate. At some point I switched to Torklift's "The Law", and decided I'd mount the EZ Pass behind the nosecone. Bear in mind, this was not the windshield version. The license plate version did not work for me inside the nosecone, resulting in some calls to EZ Pass to get tolls, etc., corrected. All the failures were on the NYS Thruway, upstate. I then attached the EZPass to the Torklift license plate bracket, and now all is well.

I do have a radar detector and the detector's GPS unit mounted behind the nosecone, and those work just fine.

Thanks Andy.

By "P85D+", I mean it has the P85+ suspension. "The ONLY kind of Tesla I would buy®" :)

About the EZPass, I run without a front plate (yes, I'm a scofflaw), so I need to find a way to get it to work. I guess I could try either the windshield or plate version behind the nosecone -- one of those has to work, right? I also heard people putting it on the rear parcel shelf and working. I know there are a lot of threads on the subject, but they're lengthy and I don't remember the results. ;)

About the EZPass, I run without a front plate (yes, I'm a scofflaw), so I need to find a way to get it to work. I guess I could try either the windshield or plate version behind the nosecone -- one of those has to work, right? I also heard people putting it on the rear parcel shelf and working. I know there are a lot of threads on the subject, but they're lengthy and I don't remember the results. ;)

Some people claim the readers around NYC, for bridges, tunnels, etc., do a better job of reading the EZPass than the Thruway readers do. That's why I qualified my response by saying my issues were with upstate Thruway readers.

I never did try the windshield version.

If you don't come up with something you like that works for you, I do highly recommend Torklift's plate holder. It, of course, requires no drilling of the nosecone.