Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few questions before I pay my £1000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Firstly, I'm new here so please go easy on me. I assume I'm posting this in the right place.

I've lusted after the Model S and more recently the Model X, but dodn't think I'd be able to afford a Tesla any time soon so wasn't really paying attention until I saw Friday's announcement about the Model 3.

I'm now very interested but have a few questions I can't find answer to and I kind need to know before I put a deposit down.

1) I leave my car on the drive each night, not in a garage. Can i just put an outlet on the outside of my house and leave it charging overnight, even in bad weather?

2) If I put the £1000 down now, I get to customize it at a later date. So does anybody have any idea what kind of things the base model will/won't come with? Has there been any news of a more powerful model with the equivelant of "ludicrous mode"? I have a feeling that the "cheap" Tesla may still be very expensive once it's specced up :)

3) If we change our minds by late 2017 (it's possible, it's a long way off) will we be able to sell/transfer our deposit place to somebody who do wants it. I hope so, because if we can I'm seeing the deposit as a no-risk thing.

4) Does anybody know how the US translate is likely to translate to the UK? $35k at today's exchange rate is £24k but knowing how these things work it might end up being a 1:1 ratio, and £35k for the base model is certainly not cheap for UK car prices.

5) I see the UK government currently have a grant of £4.5k for this kind of car but apparently it's deducted by the dealer. I assume this is at purchase time, not deposit time? If so, it's likely to change before then. Also, Tesla sales are direct so do you have to claim it yourself?

6) Lastly, any advice from existing model S owners in the UK would be very much appreciated. Any pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help out. Unless something changes my mind I'm thinking of pputting the deposit down tonight :)

1) Yes.

2) Figure that the price will range from $35k to $80k. (Lots of options, Auto Pilot, AWD, Performance, Tow hitch, Roof, Paint, Wheels, Seats, etc.) Just go look at the Model S options for an idea.

3) Reservation is not transferrable, but is fully refundable, so it is no-risk.

1. Yes. It's weather proof.
2. Base model:
RWD.
No Autopilot convenience features like auto-steer, adaptive cruise control, summon, auto park, etc. Just safety.
Supercharging capable but not enabled.
Probably no pano roof.
No air suspension.
No tow hitch, basic interiors, sound, wheels, etc.
3. No

Don't the know the answer to the rest. Good luck!

1) Yes, it is safe to charge outside. I'm not too sure of UK specifications, but there are outside outlets and EV chargers available. You might want to check with your local authorities though, I've heard sometimes they get fussy in the UK.

2) Well, that's a long question to answer. I suggest browsing around the threads around here.

3) The official statement says no, you cannot do that, unless you get specific permission to do so from Tesla. However, the deposit's fully refundable.

4) Yeah, that's a kicker. We've been stung in Canada by changing exchange rates.

I don't think I can answer the rest.

2) The AWD will very likely have a better 0-60 time, and be more efficient. However, if you're cash-restrained, I wouldn't really bother upgrading to a dual motor performance version. Especially since the base model is already sub 6 seconds. Who really needs the extra 2 seconds in a 0-60 for day-to-day use... unless you're going to use it on a racing track. :)

3) Reservation is not transferrable, but is fully refundable, so it is no-risk.
"No risk" is an exaggeration. If Tesla goes into bankruptcy that money is gone. (But that's not very likely.)

Also, being in a RHD market and being late to the game, I wouldn't expect delivery before 2020. Just an FYI. (And if you get it sooner, take it as a bonus. :))

Last edited:
1) I leave my car on the drive each night, not in a garage. Can i just put an outlet on the outside of my house and leave it charging overnight, even in bad weather?
For the most part, yes, but I would unplug it during thunder storms.

4) Does anybody know how the US translate is likely to translate to the UK? $35k at today's exchange rate is £24k but knowing how these things work it might end up being a 1:1 ratio, and £35k for the base model is certainly not cheap for UK car prices.
The exchange rate will impact the price of the Model 3. And anyone who knows the future exchange rate is going to get extremely rich, so I wouldn't bet on anyone knowing much. If the price worries you, I would currency hedge. This can be done as simply as putting 35k USD into an account, where the bank keeps the balance in USD. Or you could buy some shares in TSLA.

5) I see the UK government currently have a grant of £4.5k for this kind of car but apparently it's deducted by the dealer. I assume this is at purchase time, not deposit time? If so, it's likely to change before then. Also, Tesla sales are direct so do you have to claim it yourself?
Not sure if you have to claim it yourself, but unfortunately, I wouldn't count on the grant still being around in 2020.

2) The AWD will very likely have a better 0-60 time, and be more efficient. However, if you're cash-restrained, I wouldn't really bother upgrading to a dual motor performance version. Especially since the base model is already sub 6 seconds. Who really needs the extra 2 seconds in a 0-60 for day-to-day use... unless you're going to use it on a racing track. :)

My current car does 0-60 in 4.7 and I get at least one opportunity a day to try that out on the very open country roads between my house and office.

When I drive in the US I never go over the speed limit as I know in some states you can get in a lot of trouble for speeding, but the average person in the UK tends to exceed the speed limit a lot more often.

bomb seeing how you are in the uk and will have to purchase a RHD (unless you get a LHD delivered abroad maybe...) AND you want to configure your car rather than take the signature series you will probably have to wait a whole lot longer than 2017. My guess would be early 2019, if that.

Maybe I'm overestimating the complexity of the conversion. If the 3 stays as it is without a hud the only thing which has to be shifted over to the right would be the steering wheel...

This is one instance where you don't want to measure before you cut. Make your reservation ASAP and ask questions later!

You will have several years to find the answers to your questions, but now is the time to reserve! Sooner the better and it's fully refundable!

My current car does 0-60 in 4.7 and I get at least one opportunity a day to try that out on the very open country roads between my house and office.

Electric acceleration is different. An electric car accelerates faster from standstill. I bet that anything below 6 seconds on the Model ☰ will actually feel faster than your current car. :D
Go test drive an electric Golf, if you have a chance. That thing is rated at more than 10 seconds ... and you'd never guess.

Hello bombfrog welcome to the forum

short answers to your questions...

(1) Yes you can charge outside even in the worst of weather.

(2) I imagine the starting Model 3 will come with smart entry, heated front seats, power textile seats, mirrors, windows, back up cam, cruse control, A/C, 6-8 speaker audio system, supercharging enabled, autopilot safety features, (Auto Steer and Traffic aware cruse control may have an additional cost) Elon has pinned that average cost for most people @ $42,000 USD With some options.

(3) No risk to you but no profit to be made your reservation is non transferable as per the Model 3 Reservation Agreement. found here https://model3.tesla.com/en_GB/reservationAgreement

(4) I live in Canada with our dollar here the $35,000 USD starting price Converts To $45,733.60 CAD in your case you would be looking at £24,508.78 GBP as of today of course.

(5) In the way of incentives here is the link to answer your questions Incentives

(6) I do live in Canada can't help out to much here sorry.

Hope this helps

• Love
Reactions: rsquared99
3) The deposit is fully refundable. Go!

4) Probably 1:1. Certainly not cheap for UK car prices; but Tesla is a premium brand. And you get a LOT for your money. Also, you will save quite a bit over the life of the car. How much does electricity cost in the UK (I really would like to know, thanks!)? You need to factor that in.

1) No problem at all. A friend of mine lives in Québec City, and charges it outside all year round. Look at some of the winter pictures.
Free bonus: you can set your Model ☰ to pre-heat the interior in cold winter mornings. All Teslas basically come with a free block heater standard.

I would be careful about charging outside if your cable has to cross a sidewalk to reach the curb. Local city government typically frowns on that and might issue fines if locals complain. There is also liability if someone trips over it.

But from what you describe, this doesn't seem to apply to you.

bomb seeing how you are in the uk and will have to purchase a RHD (unless you get a LHD delivered abroad maybe...) AND you want to configure your car rather than take the signature series you will probably have to wait a whole lot longer than 2017. My guess would be early 2019, if that.

Maybe I'm overestimating the complexity of the conversion. If the 3 stays as it is without a hud the only thing which has to be shifted over to the right would be the steering wheel...
Just a small point. Musk has said there'll be no Signature Series.

I would be careful about charging outside if your cable has to cross a sidewalk to reach the curb. Local city government typically frowns on that and might issue fines if locals complain. There is also liability if someone trips over it.

But from what you describe, this doesn't seem to apply to you.
I wonder if you got one of those cable cover thingos that it would be okay?

cable-concealer__1.jpg

3) The deposit is fully refundable. Go!

4) Probably 1:1. Certainly not cheap for UK car prices; but Tesla is a premium brand. And you get a LOT for your money. Also, you will save quite a bit over the life of the car. How much does electricity cost in the UK (I really would like to know, thanks!)? You need to factor that in.

1) No problem at all. A friend of mine lives in Québec City, and charges it outside all year round. Look at some of the winter pictures.
Free bonus: you can set your Model ☰ to pre-heat the interior in cold winter mornings. All Teslas basically come with a free block heater standard.
I'm currently paying 11.65p/kWh plus a 17.44p/day standing charge. How does that compare with the US?