Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few questions from a relatively new X owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I have a 2018 Model X that I recently picked up, coming from a 2015 Model S. Enjoying the car so far. A few questions:

1. My Model S was red with chrome highlights, which I quickly chrome deleted. My Model X is dark grey, but I think the chrome looks OK because of the contrast, but understand that the newer Model X has the chrome delete and matte back wheels. What's the consensus here about whether to de-chrome an earlier model X?

2. "Park Assist Unavailable" - I get this from time to time, even when traveling at highway speeds. I see that others have had this issue. Is there any official word from Tesla on resolution?

I have a 2016 P90D, and I have the Nikola chrome delete kit sitting in my closet until it warms up enough here in Minnesota to do the delete.

While my X is pearl, I just dislike chrome in general. Especially around the doors where it will show fingerprints. I think your color + chrome delete will look great, and it's a (relatively) simple and cost conscious DIY.

I have a 2016 P90D, and I have the Nikola chrome delete kit sitting in my closet until it warms up enough here in Minnesota to do the delete.

While my X is pearl, I just dislike chrome in general. Especially around the doors where it will show fingerprints. I think your color + chrome delete will look great, and it's a (relatively) simple and cost conscious DIY.
That looks like a good deal - just concerned that I might not have the skills to pull it off. I got a local quote for $600.

That looks like a good deal - just concerned that I might not have the skills to pull it off. I got a local quote for $600.
That seems to be about the going rate.

From all the videos I've seen, I thought I could handle doing it. I also picked up the kit for a discounted price because someone on FB was selling because they had traded in their X. I think I paid $100 for it.

In the event I can't make it work, I've thrown away $100 on dumber ideas.

Hi all - I have a 2018 Model X that I recently picked up, coming from a 2015 Model S. Enjoying the car so far. A few questions:

1. My Model S was red with chrome highlights, which I quickly chrome deleted. My Model X is dark grey, but I think the chrome looks OK because of the contrast, but understand that the newer Model X has the chrome delete and matte back wheels. What's the consensus here about whether to de-chrome an earlier model X?

2. "Park Assist Unavailable" - I get this from time to time, even when traveling at highway speeds. I see that others have had this issue. Is there any official word from Tesla on resolution?

Do whatever makes you happy.

Reactions: scottf200
its 2022, chrome has no place on car trims... De-chrome everything and bring your car's look up to date.
5717EDA2-0621-4842-9D6B-A1AB7AE667AA.jpeg

Reactions: JER85 and basilray
That seems to be about the going rate.

From all the videos I've seen, I thought I could handle doing it. I also picked up the kit for a discounted price because someone on FB was selling because they had traded in their X. I think I paid $100 for it.

In the event I can't make it work, I've thrown away $100 on dumber ideas.
I totally almost pulled the trigger here - I'm especially impressed that you get 2 sets for that price, which means you have a backup if (when) you screw up. I may still give it a shot.

• Funny
Reactions: basilray
@Damager99, I didn’t immediately have an aversion to chrome, and like you, somewhat liked it when it provided a contrast. But tastes change sometimes and I ended up chrome deleting my model X. I used the Nikola Pro kit. First time ever to do something like that. Some of the pieces are easy, some are more challenging so I used some of the pieces out of the second set after goofing up.

Daily I am so happy that I did this. I think it totally changes the lines of the car, transforming it from gangly to sleek. Here is a picture mid transition.
3ED29F25-EF28-40D2-9852-BDF0F015E66A.jpeg

@Damager99, I didn’t immediately have an aversion to chrome, and like you, somewhat liked it when it provided a contrast. But tastes change sometimes and I ended up chrome deleting my model X. I used the Nikola Pro kit. First time ever to do something like that. Some of the pieces are easy, some are more challenging so I used some of the pieces out of the second set after goofing up.

Daily I am so happy that I did this. I think it totally changes the lines of the car, transforming it from gangly to sleek. Here is a picture mid transition.
View attachment 788557
That does look really good. How difficult was the installation? Worth $400 or so in labor?

That does look really good. How difficult was the installation? Worth $400 or so in labor?
Depends how much $400 is worth to you. I would also say it may depend on your level of perfectionism. I think I did a good job, but quite sure a professional job would be better. The side mirrors are the absolutely hardest part. I’m not sure I’d have the patience to do them again.

If you are using stock silver wheels, chrome trim works fine.

Similarly, if you have dark wheels, dark trim is totally appropriate.

But a mismatch, either way, always looks odd to me.

I don't have a super strong opinion either way, but that is one detail I absolutely do notice.

If you change either , trim or wheels, from the stock all-silver setup, you sorta need to finish the job and change both while you're at it.

I like chrome. Dislike the blacked out look - makes you look like a drug dealer.

The whole thing is kind of funny. Reminds me when Apple first came out with their white laptops to differentiate themselves from the Dells of the world. Then, in a genius marketing move they offered the grey laptops AND charged more for them.

People spending hundreds of dollars to black out their chrome to be different. Now every Tesla is coming blacked out from the factory 😂