Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Few Quick Further P3D Driving Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ForeverFree Tesla seems to have worked on suspension since the early Model 3 days last year. Did you notice any body roll when cornering with high power/acceleration on topanga canyon/Sepulveda ? And can you notice the difference in acceleration between Chill and Sport mode? Want to see if I can be in Chill mode when taking family and not make them dizzy :) Lastly after a week or so it will be great to understand the real range of P3D? Telsa/EPA still says 310, but do you really get any close to that range? Even if you get close to 275, Im willing to upgrade to P.

Spirited cornering is superb. I have had Supra, 3000 GT VR-4, 330xi, S4, S5, S85D, and this is best of the bunch.

I suspect, though, that a real driver could tell the difference between my P3D with 18" aeros and one with the Performance upgrade ... or aftermarket tunes.

Range on the LR really can hit 310 at 65 mph or so.

Early returns suggest 10-30 miles less in the P. Not enough data points yet, though to opine ... hence the wide range in that estimate.

Still way better than my 85D.

• Love
Reactions: Chedawg
@ForeverFree Tesla seems to have worked on suspension since the early Model 3 days last year. Did you notice any body roll when cornering with high power/acceleration on topanga canyon/Sepulveda ? And can you notice the difference in acceleration between Chill and Sport mode? Want to see if I can be in Chill mode when taking family and not make them dizzy :) Lastly after a week or so it will be great to understand the real range of P3D? Telsa/EPA still says 310, but do you really get any close to that range? Even if you get close to 275, Im willing to upgrade to P.

Chill mode not needed.

Very easy to drive this car in smooth, sane, and civilized fashion. Much like the S in that respect.

Best of both worlds!

Even the regular RWD LR is a very quick car.
Finally got the chance to drive a Model 3 yesterday, and so much so. A RWD (because they don't have the P or the D in Model 3 in yet) and it was just a shortish test drive (maybe 8 mi total?) but it lived up to billing for me.

It wasn't really the mind blowing I've heard other people describe, because I've had 6+ months to be used to "go now" part of EV via the Bolt, but when I did the underpass 180 "at speed" it was nigh uneventful in a very notable way. Then I merged on the service road and accelerated past someone into the on-ramp. "Yup, it's like driving a motorcycle only I take the whole lane". Just blew past them like they were standing still.

Definitely need to get myself back into that motorcycle mindset, especially with the D, that I have the capability to put myself in places on the road where the other drivers may not expect me to be [yet].

Last edited:
Woke up psyched and did a quick Sepulveda/Mulholland lap.

Power is stellar.

Handling is amazing, too ... for folks like me. Real performance/track aficionados will probably want the Performance Upgrade Package ... and perhaps different rubber than Tesla supplies.

Ride is very good ... about the same as 3LR with gen 2 suspension. Perhaps slightly more floaty, jiggly, even at 41 psi ... but, of course, that's with brand new tires/shocks.

Front motor whine much more muted than with S85D. Have to turn music and AC off to really hear it. On hard acceleration, the sounds of rubber grabbing pavement is louder than the whine ... and it does grab pavement!

All in all, very positive!!

How well do the stock 18" all season tires grip on hard acceleration and during cornering?

I'll be curious to see what sort of efficiency numbers you are experiencing too.

Are the driving modes chill + normal + sport or is it just chill + sport?

How does the power from a stop feel compared with your S85D? How about on the highway? My "races" are all mostly 0-45 and 50-70.

Thanks!

@ForeverFree you are one of the rare persons to have both Performance and RWD M3's. I'm planning to order a P3 non P+.There is a hump to access my garage, my daughter's RWD M3 clears it with about 1/2". Could you please confirm that both cars have the same road clearance with the 18" wheels. Thank you.