Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few things I think Tesla could have done better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just baught a new Tesla Model Y. I like it very much, but there are a few things Tesla could have done better when designing the Model Y

2021 Tesla Model Y
VIN 5YJYGDEEXMF175132

• Interior:
    • There should be subway straps or handles above the doors to assist elderly people getting out of the car. Also these are nice for the passengers to hang onto when taking a sharp corner.
    • The Charging usb-c ports are very difficult to see. They are so small and it’s hard to tell what orientation they are. So it’s fumbling around blind in a trial and error attempt to get my device plugged in. There must be a better place to put these.
  • Exterior:
    • The glass roof is a bad idea. In the summer it is hot to the touch when inside the car. It radiating heat into the passager compartment. This makes the HVAC system work harder. Thus shortening the range.
    • Frunk lid is poorly designed. It is flimsy and easily bent if you do not close it with two hands and described in the Tesla videos. I think Tesla should find a solution to this and have a recall
    • Rear Bumper tow hitch cover. This is designed to easily snap into place. However, removing it is a real pain. There are no indicators on the outside surface to show where the snap clips are. Even if you find them it’s difficult to remove the cover without destroying one or more of the clips. Also, the basic design is poor for an injection molded part. It is basically flat. The reinforcement ribs on the back are not deep enough to have any value as reinforcement. The injection pressure was not high enough and the part warped as soon as it cooled.
  • AutoPilot:
    • It would be nice to be able to adjust the centering of the car in the lane. When traveling on minor roads with only two lanes the oncoming traffic seem very close when we meet. I would like to trim the lane centering to be a little closer to the white line.

This makes the HVAC system work harder. Thus shortening the range.
Wait until winter and you'll love the glass roof on a sunny day. :D On a serious note, I've found the glass roof tinting to be great and not really an issue in the summer. There are third party, whole roof, sunshades you can buy if you want to block more of the sun.

I do agree with the frunk....why not just add a reinforcement (like a ...2'x2' piece) under the tesla logo? And yes, I also would like to be able to manually adjust autopilot lane centering.

Basically...I would love to see many more AP "advanced" adjustments. Like...acceleration speed. Right now, AP from a stop to a green light, accelerates pretty anemically. Yes, its efficient, but as a user, I would like to see an option where I can increase acceleration rates.

I just baught a new Tesla Model Y. I like it very much, but there are a few things Tesla could have done better when designing the Model Y

2021 Tesla Model Y
VIN 5YJYGDEEXMF175132

• Interior:
    • There should be subway straps or handles above the doors to assist elderly people getting out of the car. Also these are nice for the passengers to hang onto when taking a sharp corner.
    • The Charging usb-c ports are very difficult to see. They are so small and it’s hard to tell what orientation they are. So it’s fumbling around blind in a trial and error attempt to get my device plugged in. There must be a better place to put these.
  • Exterior:
    • The glass roof is a bad idea. In the summer it is hot to the touch when inside the car. It radiating heat into the passager compartment. This makes the HVAC system work harder. Thus shortening the range.
    • Frunk lid is poorly designed. It is flimsy and easily bent if you do not close it with two hands and described in the Tesla videos. I think Tesla should find a solution to this and have a recall
    • Rear Bumper tow hitch cover. This is designed to easily snap into place. However, removing it is a real pain. There are no indicators on the outside surface to show where the snap clips are. Even if you find them it’s difficult to remove the cover without destroying one or more of the clips. Also, the basic design is poor for an injection molded part. It is basically flat. The reinforcement ribs on the back are not deep enough to have any value as reinforcement. The injection pressure was not high enough and the part warped as soon as it cooled.
  • AutoPilot:
    • It would be nice to be able to adjust the centering of the car in the lane. When traveling on minor roads with only two lanes the oncoming traffic seem very close when we meet. I would like to trim the lane centering to be a little closer to the white line.
I feel similarly. I would add to this the following items:
  • No Apple CarPlay, no aux audio input, no AM radio.
  • No BSM in side view mirrors
  • No HUD
  • No Cross Traffic sensing for parking lot backing
  • Poor visibility out the back
None of these are surprises. I am aware all of these disadvantages because I have spent months researching and hours test driving. The fact is, despite all these negatives I still feel the MYLR is the best choice EV currently available for my needs, but only after substantial compromise.

My EDD is in a couple weeks and I will likely go through with my purchase, but it has taken some thrill out of it to have had to give up so many "basic" features my current Toyota Prius Prime has in order to "upgrade" to the Model Y. Here is the logic that I have come up with to help myself accept this.

From my point of view, and I understand this may not be the norm for this demographic, 50K dollars is a lot of money to spend on a car. It will, in fact, be my most expensive vehicle purchase to date, so I started my journey with high expectations. Based on the price I thought that surely it must at least be on par feature wise with 30K dollar cars, but now I understand this was mistaken reasoning. Fact is, the Model Y is not a luxury car, it's just priced like a luxury car, so it may lead you to believe it is before you do the research. The MY is expensive not because it is a luxury automobile full of top tier trim features, but because it has the world's best electric drive train coupled with a serious investment in AI environmental awareness. This is where the cost comes from. And frankly, isn't this the most important reason to buy an EV?

Unlike many of the Tesla apologetics I've read, I do not try to reason away the very need for the missing features in the first place in order to feel better. (I don't think anyone felt better hearing Mr Musk saying he removed the passenger lumbar because no one really used it) They are real shortcomings, and will be missed. Perhaps on day Tesla will offer a high trim version of some of its cars for those willing to pay a little more to get some of these back. For now this is not an option.

I think the adage "The best customer is an informed customer" applies well here. When you buy a Model Y you will give up some features that have become industry standards on many less expensive vehicles, but you will also gain some things that cannot be found on any other car. Take the plusses with the minuses, weigh them carefully, and make the best choice you can.

Regarding the hitch cover, check out Every Amp (formerly Living Tesla) YouTube channel. They have a great solution which is essentially removing all but 4 of the tabs. Ever since making that mod it’s been 100x better. Truly it was a hassle before the mod.

I had a loaner BMW this week as my convertible was in for a recall. I can say that I do miss the CarPlay interface. I wish Elon would find a way to make this happen but I’m sure monkeys will fly out of my butt before that happens.

Reactions: Daekwan

2021 Tesla Model Y
VIN 5YJYGDEEXMF175132

• Interior:
  • Exterior:
  • AutoPilot:
I thought one of the benefits of USB-C is that there is no orientation to worry about...just plug it in, outlet doesn't care if it's up or down.

• No HUD
None of these are surprises. I am aware all of these disadvantages because I have spent months researching and hours test driving. The fact is, despite all these negatives I still feel the MYLR is the best choice EV currently available for my needs, but only after substantial compromise.

My EDD is in a couple weeks and I will likely go through with my purchase, but it has taken some thrill out of it to have had to give up so many "basic" features my current Toyota Prius Prime has in order to "upgrade" to the Model Y. Here is the logic that I have come up with to help myself accept this.

From my point of view, and I understand this may not be the norm for this demographic, 50K dollars is a lot of money to spend on a car. It will, in fact, be my most expensive vehicle purchase to date, so I started my journey with high expectations. Based on the price I thought that surely it must at least be on par feature wise with 30K dollar cars, but now I understand this was mistaken reasoning. Fact is, the Model Y is not a luxury car, it's just priced like a luxury car, so it may lead you to believe it is before you do the research. The MY is expensive not because it is a luxury automobile full of top tier trim features, but because it has the world's best electric drive train coupled with a serious investment in AI environmental awareness. This is where the cost comes from. And frankly, isn't this the most important reason to buy an EV?

Unlike many of the Tesla apologetics I've read, I do not try to reason away the very need for the missing features in the first place in order to feel better. (I don't think anyone felt better hearing Mr Musk saying he removed the passenger lumbar because no one really used it) They are real shortcomings, and will be missed. Perhaps on day Tesla will offer a high trim version of some of its cars for those willing to pay a little more to get some of these back. For now this is not an option.

I think the adage "The best customer is an informed customer" applies well here. When you buy a Model Y you will give up some features that have become industry standards on many less expensive vehicles, but you will also gain some things that cannot be found on any other car. Take the plusses with the minuses, weigh them carefully, and make the best choice you can.
One of the most intelligent and perceptive Tesla comments I've read.

Wait until winter and you'll love the glass roof on a sunny day. :D On a serious note, I've found the glass roof tinting to be great and not really an issue in the summer. There are third party, whole roof, sunshades you can buy if you want to block more of the sun.
The tinting on the glass roof is spectacular and I don’t feel too warm even in 105 weather (Calabasas heat) The entire design idea is to have that panoramic view. I don’t think they should consider changing that.

I agree it's not too hot and a little extra AC helps, but it definitely makes it harder to take naps if sun is overhead unless you park under a tree somewhere.
I hear the sunshade is very good and I plan to get it, but unfortunately it's not the sort of thing that can be taken out easily.

2021 Tesla Model Y
VIN 5YJYGDEEXMF175132

• Interior:
  • Exterior:
  • AutoPilot:
I wish the dashcam has a higher resolution because in case any dispute or proof of fault, the license plate should be more visible in video. Also, it should be easy to incorporate the speed while video filming as a means to support how fast the car was going.

2021 Tesla Model Y
VIN 5YJYGDEEXMF175132

• Interior:
  • Exterior:
  • AutoPilot:

• No HUD

50k honestly isn't all that expensive for a new car anymore (you can get a top trim Honda Pilot for 50k as an example). The AVG new car price in the US is now 40k. I don't believe Tesla ever claimed the model Y to be a luxury car, its a premium car at best. You really want a luxury EV check out the e-tron, or model X.

Last edited:
50k honestly isn't all that expensive for a new car anymore (you can get a top trim Honda Pilot for 50k as an example). The AVG new car price in the US is now 40k. I don't believe Tesla ever claimed the model Y to be a luxury car, its a premium car at best. You really want a luxury EV check out the e-tron, or model X.
Yep..if you want a luxury SUV you can look at the Cadillac Escalade which has trim and option levels that end up in the $100,000+ price range.

I wish the mirrors had the little light when someone was in your blindspot. That's a real basic feature that I love.
Agreed. That's what I meant by BSM in mirrors. I got used to this pretty quickly on my Prius and now it's hard to imagine doing without. Makes highway lane changes so much safer. I always look with my own eyes, but it is great to have the car confirm you're good to go.

Agreed. That's what I meant by BSM in mirrors. I got used to this pretty quickly on my Prius and now it's hard to imagine doing without. Makes highway lane changes so much safer. I always look with my own eyes, but it is great to have the car confirm you're good to go.
Its weird to have to look over at the monitor and look for a car. I usually look and then the light is for my own re assurance as well. I guess lane keep on the Tesla should keep you in lane, but still, rather not have that panic

Reactions: dspan-mylr
  • No HUD

The lack of cross-traffic and BSM in particular drives me crazy. They greatly increase the safety of a car, and have been available on sub-$20k cars for a while now. The car is supposed to be FSD capable but can't sense whether somebody is about to t-bone me in a parking lot?