Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few thoughts after a couple days of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having the car for two days now and putting 250 miles on it, I have some thoughts and observations to offer up:

Phone as a key:

I have a Pixel XL 2 and have had spotty performance with the car recognizing that I'm near and unfolding the side mirrors. A lot of people say they have issues with the "unlocking" performance, but I've noticed even though the side mirrors don't come out reliably (works 20% of the time), I can still get in the car, so it's technically unlocked.

As for getting into the vehicle with phone-as-a-key, it's worked 100% of the time even though the side mirrors don't unfold. Walking away from the vehicle has also worked 100% for auto lock.

So if by chance you haven't tried because you're depending on the side mirrors to unfold to signify that the car is unlocked, just open the door.

Touchscreen:

After initial concerns about usability with the touchscreen, I can say that I'm already 100% adjusted to it. Speedometer placement is not an issue for me, and I can browse the entirety of the screen.

I can see how people with lacking eye-hand coordination or lower motor skills can find it very difficult to work with, but generally speaking I've had no issues even on bumpy roads. My trick is always placing a finger on the outside edge of the screen to anchor my hand (typically my middle finger), and using my index to touch the screen.

Autopilot nagging:

With a good amount of people complaining about the latest software nagging, I came prepared to have an open mind with how I was going to deal with it. After a good amount of AP driving, my behavior is to rest my left arm on my left leg (I place my wheel very low and close to the chest, more of a racing stance) and wrap the wheel with my index and thumb. With this, I simply put light push-or-pull generally in the opposite direction of AP's steering to prepare myself for an immediate takeover in the case I need to.

I've made it an automatic habit to simply apply this pressure every few seconds, I get virtually no nagging.

Home automation integration:

I'm sure many of you know of this, but I highly recommend Gol4's EV Car home automation add-on:

https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/5a33fba4f93f74bc

It's a bit of a pain because there is no natural language processing, so you have to be precise with spoken commands, but I imagine once I get used to all of them I shouldn't have to pull up a list to remember what commands to use.

Thanks for reading!