TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A Friendly Tesla Wave?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by hidingintrees, Sep 1, 2018.

1. hidingintrees

hidingintrees Member

Am I being silly when I want to wave at fellow Tesla drivers? I usually give a wave or a thumbs up to other Tesla folks when I'm driving, but no one reciprocates. Is it uncool? I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I drive, so I just want to share my excitement with other folks on the road. Can we start a trend? I heard Subaru drivers do a wave. We should too!

• Like x 7
    • Love x 2
  2. dixosw

dixosw Member

Haha. In LA, yeah it's probably uncool. Aren't they everywhere? Here in Central Florida they are still rare and I get a lot of pointing and shocked faces from fellow Model 3 owners having come across another one on the road. So I wave and they wave back. You need to move to Florida, lol. (Before FL sinks into the ocean). Ryan on the Ride the Lightning podcast suggested the 3-finger wave with thumb and forefinger touching so it's like the OK sign and 3 fingers outstretched (as is model 3). Great suggestion but I forget and just grin and wave like a maniac.
    I have a Subaru also. No waves or acknowledgment from fellow Subie owners although a few have approached me in the parking lot.

• Like x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Start a trend? We’ve been doing that ever since the first Teslas. If anyone doesn’t wave in Austin now, it’s the new Model 3 owners.

There’s also the Tesla nod:

• Funny x 7
    • Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. 21miDay

21miDay Member

Wave away. Assume that they didn't notice in time to wave back.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

This is a Jeep & a motorcycle thing. It surprises me that it's not really a Tesla thing too. I still wave though. Not sure if other Tesla drivers are oblivious, snobby or just don't care.

• Like x 1
  6. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

I've spent the past two years with my Model S waving or flashing my high beams at passing S and X drivers — about 50/50 on replies.

I've also done the same for every Model 3 I've seen (spotted maybe a dozen so far in Ohio), but none have returned the greeting. :(

• Love x 1
  7. brd7

brd7 Member

I wave, but not many look or wave back.

8. Unpilot

Unpilot Active Member

O hell yes I wave...I chased down a M3 today to give him a big thumbs up!

• Funny x 2
  9. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

I’m a waver. Even across a 4-lane divided highway at a closing speed of 250 km/h...probably foolishly optimistic on those ones. The T is still a rarity in these parts, so I just get excited and can’t help myself. Also a former Subie owner (Outbacks and Legacy wagon).

• Love x 1
  10. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Do what feels right, wave away.

• Like x 1
  11. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

You'd be waving all the time here in San Diego. I probably see a dozen Teslas every time I drive :D

• Funny x 1
  12. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

33C2FC6D-CC9C-4FDE-845D-DB767324D995.jpeg
    Sorry, but that’s a Jeep only practice.... I believe it might be a law that Jeep drivers wave at each other . :rolleyes:

My 2nd car is a Wrangler.

13. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Pennsylvania here, I wave every time, 10% wave back. Strange to me.... I actually get more thumbs up and waves from non-Tesla vehicles.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  14. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

Oh man... I thought I got away from this nonsense when I sold my Subaru. I wave to people I know, not random people who have purchased the same thing I have.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

That was definitely a Jeep thing, lol. I may or may not wave depending on my reaction time but I’d always let a fellow EVr into the lane:)

16. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Actually the waving in Austin started in the early Model S days when most Tesla owners did know each other. As one early Model S owner put it:
    “I used to be the only woman in Austin with a Tesla
    Then I was the only woman in my neighborhood with a Tesla
    Then I was the only woman in my neighborhood with a blue Tesla
    Now I’m just some bitch in a Tesla.”

• Funny x 15
  17. Mickie

Mickie Member

This is big in the Corvette world; it’s called, “Save the Wave.” I'd say 8/10 times I’d get a wave or a wave back. With my Tesla, I’ve received one grin/ nod in 2 years of ownership.

You’d think these people aren’t aware they’re driving a revolutionary car and be slightly excited about commonality.

• Like x 1
  18. hidingintrees

hidingintrees Member

Great attitude! I will think that from now on.

23E1B584-A2C9-4F04-B4C4-F4DAA1418385.gif

• Funny x 2
  19. Raechris

Raechris Member

I wave in MA but rarely notice a return. No matter since I am putting good vibes out. Saw three T yesterday which was a new record here.

20. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I always flash a peace sign and a :D grin......most smile back.

Keep waving @hidingintrees Life is complicated......with heavy concerns on people's minds and you might actually make a momentary difference to someone having a rough time.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2