Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Friendly Tesla Wave?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I being silly when I want to wave at fellow Tesla drivers? I usually give a wave or a thumbs up to other Tesla folks when I'm driving, but no one reciprocates. Is it uncool? I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I drive, so I just want to share my excitement with other folks on the road. Can we start a trend? I heard Subaru drivers do a wave. We should too!

Haha. In LA, yeah it's probably uncool. Aren't they everywhere? Here in Central Florida they are still rare and I get a lot of pointing and shocked faces from fellow Model 3 owners having come across another one on the road. So I wave and they wave back. You need to move to Florida, lol. (Before FL sinks into the ocean). Ryan on the Ride the Lightning podcast suggested the 3-finger wave with thumb and forefinger touching so it's like the OK sign and 3 fingers outstretched (as is model 3). Great suggestion but I forget and just grin and wave like a maniac.
I have a Subaru also. No waves or acknowledgment from fellow Subie owners although a few have approached me in the parking lot.

Reactions: hidingintrees
33C2FC6D-CC9C-4FDE-845D-DB767324D995.jpeg
Am I being silly when I want to wave at fellow Tesla drivers?
Sorry, but that’s a Jeep only practice.... I believe it might be a law that Jeep drivers wave at each other . :rolleyes:

My 2nd car is a Wrangler.

Am I being silly when I want to wave at fellow Tesla drivers? I usually give a wave or a thumbs up to other Tesla folks when I'm driving, but no one reciprocates. Is it uncool? I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I drive, so I just want to share my excitement with other folks on the road. Can we start a trend? I heard Subaru drivers do a wave. We should too!
That was definitely a Jeep thing, lol. I may or may not wave depending on my reaction time but I’d always let a fellow EVr into the lane:)

Oh man... I thought I got away from this nonsense when I sold my Subaru. I wave to people I know, not random people who have purchased the same thing I have.
Actually the waving in Austin started in the early Model S days when most Tesla owners did know each other. As one early Model S owner put it:
“I used to be the only woman in Austin with a Tesla
Then I was the only woman in my neighborhood with a Tesla
Then I was the only woman in my neighborhood with a blue Tesla
Now I’m just some bitch in a Tesla.”

This is big in the Corvette world; it’s called, “Save the Wave.” I'd say 8/10 times I’d get a wave or a wave back. With my Tesla, I’ve received one grin/ nod in 2 years of ownership.

You’d think these people aren’t aware they’re driving a revolutionary car and be slightly excited about commonality.

Reactions: hidingintrees