Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Friendly Tesla Wave?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I had the Mini Cooper, it came with instruction with manual how to do the Wave to other Mini drivers. Even with that, almost nobody wave back. I stopped waving a few months into owning the car. Now that when people wave at me, I just think that maybe they know me? Are they trying to get my attention? BTW, I have no idea waving is a thing for Telsa. Nobody waved at me in the 8 months we had the X, and in the 3 days I got the 3. I don't think anyone even looked twice when another Tesla passed by... there are just so many of them.

This was a really humorous thread. Enjoyed reading it.
I have waved and/or flashed my headlights at fellow owners in the past, and have had other owners do the same for me occasionally.

Here in Michigan, we're still somewhat rare among the parking lots full of Big 3 SUVs and such.

I pulled into the Gustine, CA Supercharger Station (my first SC stop while on a road trip) a couple of days ago in my new'ish "3" and all of the Tesla drivers there charging started waving like crazy. It felt nice to wave back. Several came over to chat and ask questions about my dog traveling with me.

Reactions: DR61
Most Tesla drivers around here are clueless to the world past the tip of their nose. But if I see performance versions of any model, I give a nod (from my Infiniti). But their windows are always tinted (so are mine), so I'm probably like a mascot at Disney World who is asked to smile for a picture.

I've spent the past two years with my Model S waving or flashing my high beams at passing S and X drivers — about 50/50 on replies.

I've also done the same for every Model 3 I've seen (spotted maybe a dozen so far in Ohio), but none have returned the greeting. :(

Flashing High-Beams will be fixed in Software Update v8.1 2018.32.7 for the Model 3...

• Funny
Reactions: morrisdl
I have only waved and gotten a wave back once, but it was an unique case of another white TM3 driver who drove almost the same route from work to home with me for the 2nd time within the span of a few weeks. All other times, I haven't gotten a wave back, so I've stopped trying. They're so common in SD now.

I've waved at a couple drivers, but that was while heading to a Tesla meetup.

The funniest time was when I came across another Model 3, and the other driver and I craned our necks so much we almost broke them in order to look at each other's cars. I'm sure he had the same thought as me: "awesome car!"

This is something that always cracks me up. In my Porsche, never get much from other Porsche drivers. When I’ve driven my Dad’s Corvette, nearly every time I get a wave/nod. And where it would feel almost offensive to not return it.

I’m curious how it’ll be with the 3. I’ve been seeing more around lately, and I find myself wanting to catch up and wave, even in my wife’s SUV.