Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Frustrating day After Delivery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my car today, and it was perfect. The frustration came in after I drove away. First off, it was raining. Ugh. Then we were driving out to my kids in Williamsburg, Brooklyn to show it off and there wasn't a street or highway in Brooklyn that wasn't just jammed. I hit maybe 30 on the expressway, and 10-15 on the streets if I was lucky. And every light turned red in front of us. It was like that everywhere we went.

Congrats on taking delivery! Yea the area is always so congested; really a test of ones patience. Think of it this way...better driving really slowly in your brand new Model 3 than to still be waiting to take delivery!

I'm going to take it for a spin tomorrow and hopefully it won't be as jammed up. I'll avoid Williamsburg. This coming weekend we'll take a trip somewhere on more open roads. It is so tempting to drive this fast, I'd better be careful.

• Disagree
Reactions: van_678
This is why despite living within 25 minutes of NYC up until the age of 30, I never moved there. I like driving too much! So I accepted my fate as a bridge and tunneler.

Besides, when you're young, sleeping on your buddy's couch after staying out until 2 (or 3 or 4) isn't so bad, is it? :p

I wish I were so young...

And I did take it for a spin today. It was great. I still had to be careful though with the speed, it is still NYC after all. But the instantaneous speed is addicting and it'll be hard to ever go back. Let's see, my last car I kept for 14 years, I'm 66 now, I'd be 80 before I'll get another at that rate.

I was 21 when I got mine, one twin got hers at 20, the other still doesn't have it at 24. My son was licensed to fly before he was licensed to drive. He's a commercial pilot now, inactive at the moment due to covid but already been notified that he'll return to active status.

An update. The car itself is everything I hoped for except one thing, I think the audio sucks. But the real update is that traffic in Brooklyn has only gotten worse. You can't move anywhere in the borough without getting stuck. Pre-covid everyone used the subway but not anymore. Everybody drives and it is obvious when you are out on the streets. It didn't seem this bad when I was driving my minivan. Just today I tried going to the local Autozone to get cleaning products (I never washed the minivan) and there is a line of cars to get into the small parking lot. I just turned around and went home. Maybe I'll have to get on my bike and go there.

Reactions: Transformer
I live in queens (Whitestone/College Point, actually not that crowded or crazy traffic). I’m already ready to move... but man do I hate going to Brooklyn.

I don’t understand this city. Granted, I’m not from here, but I only consider Manhattan the actual city. My wife sold me on NYC (she grew up here) and while there are genuinely things I like (and I do really like my neighborhood where everyone has a yard and driveway) the real estate is out of hand, the weather sucks, the roads suck, and the taxes suck. Other than being able to see the skyline from my house, I don’t for a moment feel I actually live in NYC.

I’ve lived a bunch of places, and tbh, I wouldn’t live in most of them again. I’m general, I really like NYC, but you absolutely DO NOT get what you pay for. Living here is like driving a fully loaded 328i.... Sure it’s nice, but costs more and you get less than you should.

An update. The car itself is everything I hoped for except one thing, I think the audio sucks. But the real update is that traffic in Brooklyn has only gotten worse. You can't move anywhere in the borough without getting stuck. Pre-covid everyone used the subway but not anymore. Everybody drives and it is obvious when you are out on the streets. It didn't seem this bad when I was driving my minivan. Just today I tried going to the local Autozone to get cleaning products (I never washed the minivan) and there is a line of cars to get into the small parking lot. I just turned around and went home. Maybe I'll have to get on my bike and go there.
This is a big concern for me " An update. The car itself is everything I hoped for except one thing, I think the audio sucks " Music big part of my life ( home stereo McIntosh audio/Magnepan speakers vinyl& digital sources )
One of the reasons I had the 2019 Jetta Execline was the Beats audio system , ended up not happy with it as with bass at -1, midrange flat, treble +1 on audio settings, rattles in the doors from first day.

Audio is subjective depending on what you have experienced. I find the "Burmester High-End 3d Surround System" available on Mercedes and Porsche cars is hands-down the best car audio and nothing else I have heard can compare. That said Audio doesn't need to be the Best to be Good.

This is a big concern for me " An update. The car itself is everything I hoped for except one thing, I think the audio sucks " Music big part of my life ( home stereo McIntosh audio/Magnepan speakers vinyl& digital sources )
One of the reasons I had the 2019 Jetta Execline was the Beats audio system , ended up not happy with it as with bass at -1, midrange flat, treble +1 on audio settings, rattles in the doors from first day.
At this point I've just settled in with it. I stick to Qobuz from my iphone over Bluetooth at whatever rate the BT supports. It is better than the built in streaming and besides I have all of my playlists on Qobuz. The BT allows me some control on the big screen to skip and pause too, but not full control of Qobuz which I didn't expect anyway. I'll be looking to upgrade the speakers at some point but not yet. I'm not disassembling my new car.

I’d have to side with @Zacster here... it would be pretty absurd to refer to Brooklyn as a “xxxxhole”. Yes. The roads suck and so does the traffic, but it’s definitively one of the nicest, upcoming, and rapidly gentrifying areas in the country. To the point people complain it has lost its character and personality and is becoming too “posh” or bourgeois if anything.

I more or less wanna leave NYC too, but not for anywhere that isn’t definitively metropolitan or at least a suburb there of. The list of places I wouldn’t live is long; and NYC is somewhere I certainly am fine with, but it is way over priced. Sorta like a fully loaded BMW.

... my commute is 10 mins. It’s just my house is about 4x more than it should be. I also do not (and honest would not) live in Brooklyn... but not because it’s a “xxxxhole,” just because where I live I can get to the city in under an hour even with traffic (15mins if I go before 7am or after 8pm) and I work on the Queens and Long Island border and I’m 10min reverse commute to work.

Apologies accepted! My house is about a tenth of what it would be, and I have NYC luxuries like a driveway, backyard, a full basement to store all the crap, all the new and old Brooklyn restaurants, and a 30 minute subway ride to midtown, if I ever need to go back to Manhattan. I almost never leave Brooklyn anymore, but maybe because the traffic doesn't let me. ;)