Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A generic battery power system by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am reading today's article :

Fun For $40,000? Electric Plane Beats Electric Car Every Time...

Then it dawns on me: How about Tesla provides the battery power system and other vendor make the rest of mechanic components to assemble the Electric plane?

To expand the thought, how about Tesla provide various battery power system that can power different products currently rely on gas: like Motorcycle, heavy machinery in construction, or even mower gardening tool?? The system should include the packaging, thermal control, any IP that adds on to the raw battery.

I am not vested enough to explore this idea. Anyone like to continue on this? Or is there similar idea discussed?

Come to think about it, 'Powered By Tesla' is a cool slogan that you can place on a product!

That does look like fun. They're using a 13 kWh 75V battery to power it. Would need a decidedly bigger plane to use a Model S battery :)

It would be cool however if Tesla would sell modular batteries of e.g. 5 kWh for projects like this, but I think the thermal control system requirements may make it impractical for hobbyist use.

You mean like Mission Motors does? They are trying to sell their electric motorcycles but sell their battery systems on the side.

One problem is from what I understand, currently Tesla has a shortage of battery supply until Panasonic gets another factory going. So I don't think Tesla has enough spare batteries to do that. Though I could be wrong.

I know Tesla uses their battery system in SpaceX and plans to use it with SolarCity.

What about the risks of offering the battery system to other companies? If they offer it to other companies means they have to give away data to competitors that might be top secret. Would it hurt Tesla's technological advantage?

Oh, and since Tesla uses standard 18650 format batteries, technically making their battery system modular should be no problem. I think it already is kind of.

You mean like Mission Motors does? They are trying to sell their electric motorcycles but sell their battery systems on the side.

One problem is from what I understand, currently Tesla has a shortage of battery supply until Panasonic gets another factory going. So I don't think Tesla has enough spare batteries to do that. Though I could be wrong.

I know Tesla uses their battery system in SpaceX and plans to use it with SolarCity.

What about the risks of offering the battery system to other companies? If they offer it to other companies means they have to give away data to competitors that might be top secret. Would it hurt Tesla's technological advantage?

Oh, and since Tesla uses standard 18650 format batteries, technically making their battery system modular should be no problem. I think it already is kind of.

Yes similar to Mission Motors energy storage system: Mission Motors / Energy Storage.

I think the emphasis is high performance and advanced thermal control, and any IP around that, assuming raw battery as a commodity. With Tesla's prowess, it would be interesting to see how else they can offer besides battery system for vehicle. Also if someone can comment on what better system Tesla can offer than Mission Motors', that will be great.

I don't think we want to consider the practical factors like battery shortage at this point. As for IP protection, I don't think it is an issue whether Tesla sells generic battery system or not. People can always reverse engineer the battery of the Model S.