Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good time to purchase a Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think it is a good time to purchase a Wall Connector? The EDD on our car is still something like 6-9 months away. I don't want to risk having the price increase and I would also like to take advantage of local incentives which means that I should get a home charger installed before getting the vehicle.

Thanks...

Do you think it is a good time to purchase a Wall Connector? The EDD on our car is still something like 6-9 months away. I don't want to risk having the price increase and I would also like to take advantage of local incentives which means that I should get a home charger installed before getting the vehicle.

Thanks...
Safer to wait till 30 days before delivery…

Reactions: Blurrryvision
If you KNOW for 100% that you will be completing the purchase, I dont see why not. The only issue would be if the long wait (or something else unexpected happening) makes you change your mind on going through with the purchase. You could always sell it on an online marketplace if that happened, but that might be something you dont want to deal with.

What is the downside to having it installed now?

The only one I see is the possibility that the OP may not go through with the purchase for some reason or other. 6-9 months is a long (long) time to have a car on order, and a lot can happen in between now and then. As long as they are 100% sure they will complete the purchase, there isnt any other downside, and the upside of taking time on scheduling is there as you mention.

The only one I see is the possibility that the OP may not go through with the purchase for some reason or other. 6-9 months is a long (long) time to have a car on order, and a lot can happen in between now and then. As long as they are 100% sure they will complete the purchase, there isnt any other downside, and the upside of taking time on scheduling is there as you mention.
Sure, but it's very likely even if this purchase falls through the OPs next car will be an EV. Even if it's not a Tesla, it can be used with a cheap adaptor. Seems pretty low-risk to me.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Thanks for the replies. The rebates require the work to be done (picture of charger installed at the side of the house). So, I'd have to go "all in".

As you mentioned, 9 months (or possibly longer) is a long time to wait. But I guess we'd get some sort of EV and the Tesla charger we could put an adapter on and use that? I'd probably get a Tesla charger for $400 anyway.

Do you think there will be any major updates to the Tesla Wall Connector in the next year?

My EDD is somewhere around September so far, but I have ordered Wall Connector last year and installed in May without a rush. So just waiting for a car.
charger.jpg

Last edited:
Had my charger installed June even though the EDD is still out beyond December at this point. I figured given inflation and supply chain issues, there's a chance that the connector will go back up in price. Additionally, I had to have a pretty long power run done on the exterior of the house, and contractor prices are only going up these days. Both of these pointed me towards having it ordered and installed now even though the car is a ways out.

Also, like everyone else is saying, if you know you're definitely going to take delivery, then what is the up side of waiting?

Thanks for the replies. The rebates require the work to be done (picture of charger installed at the side of the house). So, I'd have to go "all in".

As you mentioned, 9 months (or possibly longer) is a long time to wait. But I guess we'd get some sort of EV and the Tesla charger we could put an adapter on and use that? I'd probably get a Tesla charger for $400 anyway.

Do you think there will be any major updates to the Tesla Wall Connector in the next year?

Tesla seems to have ironed out most of the kinks of the current hardware on the wall connectors, and any updates are likely to be minor or not something they tell us about (on the hardware side) and software / firmware related on the software side, so you would get those.

I think its unlikely there is any change to the wall connector that would matter, between now and then.

Thanks...
I ordered my Tesla Wall Charger on January 3,2022 and placed my M Y order on January 6th
The wall charger has been installed in my garage since the end of January and I am still waiting for my M Y
I did receive the $1500.00 NJ PSE&G rebate while I am still waiting for my Tesla.
With the current rate of inflation why would you want to wait?

...if you purchased an EV other than a Tesla, would you still purchase the Tesla Wall Connector (with adapter)?
Yes, I've been using it on our Hyundai Ioniq for months now. It's the best and somehow the most affordable mainstream EV charger you can buy right now. Where else can you get a name-brand 48-amp unit for $400? There is no risk, the price is only going to increase as time goes on. Plus, if Tesla goes out of stock for a while, you'll get >$400 on eBay for it.

Reactions: RNHurt