Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good time to purchase a Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting to have this installed and have not opened this unit. I see that Tesla just came out with a charger that works out of the box for non-Teslas. I think this might be a better option for me. Do you think this device is better than the unit I bought back in July?

Reactions: andaconda
I'm still waiting to have this installed and have not opened this unit. I see that Tesla just came out with a charger that works out of the box for non-Teslas. I think this might be a better option for me. Do you think this device is better than the unit I bought back in July?

You are still buying a Tesla aren’t you?

You can pick up an adaptor later if you ever buy a non-Tesla. They are less expensive than the price difference between the two wall connectors. Since you already have this one, I’d just use it.

If you bought a non-Tesla, then the new one is probably nicer.

If the next EV you're going to own is a Tesla, it would make sense to keep the Tesla wall connector with the Tesla plug on the cable.

If you use the J1772 Tesla wall connector, you'll need an adapter every time you plug your Tesla in, and you lose the ability to press the button on the charging handle to open the charge port.

If you get another EV down the road, you can get a Tesla to J1772 adapter to use with your white Tesla wall connector. I'd kick the can down the road on having to use an adapter every time you charge, to make your Tesla experience the best right from the get-go.

I see. So I could get a black or grey faceplate for the charger I have? Is it actually the same size as the new one?
$75

Update, with NJ PSE&G EV program, off peak is $02 cents per kw/h with approved chargers. Tesla charger was not included in this offering. I paid &250 more for the Enelx Juicebox 48 (work with Tesla with the adapter or you can charge a non-Tesla vehicle also). but the low offpeak rate pays up for the difference in price. So far I have 1,392 miles on the car and I only charge offpeak, so total electricity expense is around $5.00 give a take a few cents. Go with you best savings

Attachments

• 7DB70B5C-2E00-451E-9338-9FD2A18BC387.jpeg
    7DB70B5C-2E00-451E-9338-9FD2A18BC387.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 62
  • BA629277-57B9-4560-995E-D7C709984C67.png
    BA629277-57B9-4560-995E-D7C709984C67.png
    244.5 KB · Views: 35
Update, with NJ PSE&G EV program, off peak is $02 cents per kw/h with approved chargers. Tesla charger was not included in this offering. I paid &250 more for the Enelx Juicebox 48 (work with Tesla with the adapter or you can charge a non-Tesla vehicle also). but the low offpeak rate pays up for the difference in price.
sheesh- at 2 cents, that's a no brainer. I'm content with the effective 11 cents coming from my solar installation, but that price is a 25 year amortization. But if the utility companies can foster discussion around standards, there's no reason the Tesla charger could not be software upgraded to participate in these low rate period offerings.

PG&E offers EV plans that seem almost insultingly bad. If you can't install solar (and under existing net metering rules, about to be changed for the worse), the economics of the EV are very uncertain, and that presumes mostly home charging. For those without garages, relying on superchargers, it's gas prices at peak.

Reactions: vlee
Just going back to the original topic...

I am sticking with the wall connector I purchased over the summer and if we do get the model y, then I will use that at my home.

Now I am thinking about getting a wall connector installed at my parents home. This wall connector would be used to share with my sister. She has a Nissan Leaf. Would it be better to get the "non-telsa" wall connector ($550 ) or the same one that I have ($400). My sister would be able to use the "Tesla" wall connector with an adapter? And if we get the "non-tesla" one then I would have to use an adapter?

One other related point...I just got an email from Tesla saying that they will be sending a coupon for either a wall connector or mobile connector. I think I would already be getting a mobile connector because I put in a deposit before they stopped including it with the car...

Thanks in advance for any advice on how I can prepare things and what would be best to purchase.

And WHY would anyone need a dedicated "Wall Charger"? I've been charging over ten years on my 220-volt wall OUTLET. It charges my car in just a few hours overnight and cost me about TEN DOLLARS. For that money I can plug in my car, my welder, my air conditioner, or anything that might need a 220-volt outlet. I'm not bound to only using it for charging. Nobody needs a "Wall Charger".

And WHY would anyone need a dedicated "Wall Charger"?
1. More convenient (you use it almost daily so...)
2. It can charge you faster if/when you need
3. More secure from an electrical wiring perspective (check reviews of melted $10 outlets LINK)
4. You can always keep a mobile charger in the car, just in case as the backup plan
5. It has a little longer cable (18 vs 24 feet)
6. It also has a pretty cool design :cool:

Last edited:
And WHY would anyone need a dedicated "Wall Charger"? I've been charging over ten years on my 220-volt wall OUTLET. It charges my car in just a few hours overnight and cost me about TEN DOLLARS. For that money I can plug in my car, my welder, my air conditioner, or anything that might need a 220-volt outlet. I'm not bound to only using it for charging. Nobody needs a "Wall Charger".
BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE AN OUTLET.
BECAUSE I WANT TO CHARGE DURING THE DAY USING MY SOLAR ARRAY.
BECASUE I WANT A FASTER SPEED.
BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A MOBILE CONNECTOR.
BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A WELDER OR AIR CONDITIONER OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT NEEDS 220V.

Take your pick. Just because you aren't creative enough to see past your own experience doesn't mean everyone else is in the same situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: UoMDeacon
you understand that absolutes like NOBODY are virtually ALWAYS false, yes?

I'd say that a minority of EV owners have a 220 outlet in a convenient place, largely because the majority of homes built in the Bay Area alone predate 200A service, and maybe even 100A. We are more likely to use gas dryers, thus no 220 at all.

Reactions: Stirfry
For that money, you can also melt one of the plugs because that crappy outlet almost surely has half size prongs that don't grip the plug as well as a quality outlet and are MUCH more likely to fail. I replaced my 14-50 Leviton with a 14-50 Hubbell and the first thing I noticed was how much cooler the plug stays when I'm pulling 32A through it (the EVSE I have plugged into it, which normally charges my PHEV, is only capable of pulling 32A). If I were pulling a full 40A, the temperature difference would probably be even bigger.