Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good time to purchase a Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all for the replies. What do you think would be the best wall connector to install in my parents home? This connector would be shared by my sister (a Leaf owner) and us (model Y).
Costco has the Massimo 50A EVSE on sale right now for $499. Looks like a good deal for a high amperage EVSE for in between the prices of the two different Tesla Wall Connnectors. Also appears to be "smart" in that it can link up to wifi. Note that this EVSE does not include a 14-50 plug. So you must either buy one separately, or hardwire it (similar to the Tesla ones).
I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to products, but here it is (mods remove if not allowed). https://www.costco.com/massimo-50amp-level-2-electric-vehicle-charger.product.4000022277.html

Here are the differences that I see:

$400 Tesla
  • tesla connector
  • tesla app monitors usage but doesn't control charging (for non-Tesla vehicles)
  • app available on android and iOS
  • up to 48A if hardwired (and if car supports that much)
  • 24 foot cable
  • everyday pricing

$500 Massimo
  • J1772 connector
  • Massimo app monitors usage and controls charging
  • app only available on iOS (not android)
  • up to 50A if hardwired (and if car supports that much)
  • 28 foot cable
  • temporarily on sale
Looking for others to point out any other differences.

$400 Tesla
  • tesla connector
  • tesla app monitors usage but doesn't control charging (for non-Tesla vehicles)
  • 24 foot cable
  • everyday pricing

$500 Massimo
  • J1772 connector
  • 28 foot cable
  • temporarily on sale
While you only need the Tesla now, if things change or when you sell your home would the Massimo be a better choice? It will charge any EV; how about the Tesla?

I just got an email from Tesla saying that they will be sending a coupon for either a wall connector or mobile connector. I think I would already be getting a mobile connector because I put in a deposit before they stopped including it with the car...
I recently picked up a new MYLR. The coupon they give you is bc the car no longer comes with a mobile connector. The person picking up another MYLR next to mine went into the Tesla store and confirmed with them that the car does not come with one anymore, and that the coupon is the way to get one for free. They offered to sell him one on the spot, but he'd have to pay for it out of pocket.

So my point is that if you use the coupon on the Tesla wall connector, then you won't have a mobile connector. I think that a mobile connector is useful to have in the car.

While you only need the Tesla now, if things change or when you sell your home would the Massimo be a better choice? It will charge any EV; how about the Tesla?
The Tesla Wall Connector would need an adapter to charge non-Teslas. They seem to run around $120-160
The Massimo would need an adapter to charge Teslas. This one comes free with all Teslas, or sells for $50 for an additional one.

Since steph mentioned that they will be charging both a Tesla and a Leaf, then an adapter will be required one way or another.

Tesla Wall Connector has a button on the plug that opens the charge port, which might be convenient. Although someone else posted that you can open the charge port just by pushing on the cover. (seems like that only works for me sometimes. many times, when I push the cover, nothing happens. also, if i am charging the car with a j1772 charger using the included tesla adapter, when i remove the J1772 plug at the end, the adapter is still locked to the car, and i have to use the app to unlock it. whereas with the Tesla charger, double clicking the button on the plug will release it from the car.)

Why would vlee care what would be a better choice if the home is sold? In that case, you'd take the EVSE with you and cap the wires, and tell the next owner they're for a hardwired EVSE.
Why does anyone do anything? I gave my opinion. My daughter and boyfriend are buying a home. The EVSE already installed is a plus for them as they both drive Teslas.

As long as you don't rip the wiring out of the walls, the buyer would be able to easily install anything.
Certainly, if the buyer is able to do some DIY things, then having the wires is enough. But some people are uncomfortable with that. (My uncle brings his car do the dealer to change the license plate bulb, out of warranty...) So for them, a small (insignificant in terms of the price of a house) concession of the EVSE+adapter could make a huge difference.

Certainly, if the buyer is able to do some DIY things, then having the wires is enough. But some people are uncomfortable with that. (My uncle brings his car do the dealer to change the license plate bulb, out of warranty...) So for them, a small (insignificant in terms of the price of a house) concession of the EVSE+adapter could make a huge difference.
For people who are uncomfortable doing it, they can easily hire a professional electrician to do it. Having the wires already in place will dramatically reduce the labor costs, and they still benefit from it.

For people who are uncomfortable doing it, they can easily hire a professional electrician to do it. Having the wires already in place will dramatically reduce the labor costs, and they still benefit from it.
Yes, removing the EVSE would be an option too. Especially if the buyer has no interest in BEVs. But it may be worthwhile amenity to include.

My point was that even if they do plan to leave the EVSE when selling, they can still pick either type now, as leaving an adapter would allow the Tesla charger to become universal.

And WHY would anyone need a dedicated "Wall Charger"? I've been charging over ten years on my 220-volt wall OUTLET. It charges my car in just a few hours overnight and cost me about TEN DOLLARS. For that money I can plug in my car, my welder, my air conditioner, or anything that might need a 220-volt outlet. I'm not bound to only using it for charging. Nobody needs a "Wall Charger".
Can you plug into a 240v outlet and set the time to charge? I can add as many outlets that I might need in my garage off the sub panel that also powers my HPWC.

Attachments

• Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 52

$400 Tesla
  • tesla connector
  • 24 foot cable
  • everyday pricing

$500 Massimo
  • J1772 connector
  • 28 foot cable
  • temporarily on sale
Personally I like the Enelx Juicebox units, they are about $600 and you can run them parallel if you have two chargers on same circuit switch. That’s what I’m going to do to do to run a parallel Juicebox 48 on outside of my home and one in the garage for a new Tesla arrival in the coming months.

If you want to charge simultaneously:
https://wattzilla.com/products/duo.htm
https://store.clippercreek.com/residential/40-amp-dual-charging-station
or wall connector + J1772 EVSE

If there's only space in the garage to charge one of your cars at a time, then pick any EVSE.
Wattzilla looks good for dual charging, but not for residential & $4k price tag vs $600-$700 unit. The clipper creek I looked into and only can charge at 20-30 amps when charging 1 car then 2 will continue. 30 amps is way to slow. I’m happy running at 48 amps on 60amp circuit switch. Less than 4 hours to charge from 15% to 80%. The 30 amp units charges 38 miles per hour, given the 80% mark from 15% mark it would take over 8 hours or more in my opinion.

Wattzilla looks good for dual charging, but not for residential & $4k price tag vs $600-$700 unit. The clipper creek I looked into and only can charge at 20-30 amps when charging 1 car then 2 will continue. 30 amps is way to slow. I’m happy running at 48 amps on 60amp circuit switch. Less than 4 hours to charge from 15% to 80%. The 30 amp units charges 38 miles per hour, given the 80% mark from 15% mark it would take over 8 hours or more in my opinion.
Well if it's two different parking stalls that you'll be using simultaneously, you could just install two separate EVSEs.