Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good time to purchase a Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up a new MYLR. The coupon they give you is bc the car no longer comes with a mobile connector. The person picking up another MYLR next to mine went into the Tesla store and confirmed with them that the car does not come with one anymore, and that the coupon is the way to get one for free. They offered to sell him one on the spot, but he'd have to pay for it out of pocket.

So my point is that if you use the coupon on the Tesla wall connector, then you won't have a mobile connector. I think that a mobile connector is useful to have in the car.
You're right. I just called Tesla and they confirmed that their cars are no longer being shipped with the mobile connector. It would be a $200 voucher they offer. The person I spoke to was not very knowledgeable, but did say that the voucher can only be used towards the mobile connector or Tesla Wall Connector ($400). I asked if it could be used towards the $550 J1772 Tesla Wall Connector and she said no. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if I understand correctly, the Tesla Mobile Connector is basically an emergency level 1 slow charger that can be plugged in to any "regular" outlet?

I also asked if the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector could be used on a Tesla, she amazingly didn't know. Can it? I thought that you can just put an adapter on it and use if for a Tesla...

Also, if I understand correctly, the Tesla Mobile Connector is basically an emergency level 1 slow charger that can be plugged in to any "regular" outlet?
It's a Level 1/Level 2 EVSE that can be plugged into a NEMA 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, 6-20, 6-50, 10-30, 14-30, or 14-50 outlet: NEMA Adapter Bundle
I also asked if the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector could be used on a Tesla, she amazingly didn't know. Can it? I thought that you can just put an adapter on it and use if for a Tesla...
You can, but why would you want to do this? It doesn't have the best feature of the Wall Connector which is the button that opens the charge port.

Reactions: howardnj
Thanks for your reply. So, I have the Tesla Wall Connector ($400) and I am looking into getting that installed at our home.

The other charger I'm considering would be used sporadically at my parent's home. My sister and I would share it. She has a Nissan Leaf. So, not having the button to open the charging port would be ok for that one and I could possibly use the $200 credit towards it.

So, I'm first just wondering how a Tesla would connect to the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector. Would a Tesla even be able to connect to it? If so, would the Tesla use an adapter and the Nissan Leaf could just connect to it without any adapter?

The other option would be that I use the $200 to get the Mobile Connector and purchase some other charger that the Tesla and Nissan would share...

Thanks for your reply. So, I have the Tesla Wall Connector ($400) and I am looking into getting that installed at our home.

The other charger I'm considering would be used sporadically at my parent's home. My sister and I would share it. She has a Nissan Leaf. So, not having the button to open the charging port would be ok for that one and I could possibly use the $200 credit towards it.

So, I'm first just wondering how a Tesla would connect to the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector. Would a Tesla even be able to connect to it? If so, would the Tesla use an adapter and the Nissan Leaf could just connect to it without any adapter?
You could use the J1772 to Tesla adapter that came with your car. You could also buy another Tesla Wall Connector with a Tesla connection and then use a Tesla to J1772 adapter to connect it to the Leaf.
The other option would be that I use the $200 to get the Mobile Connector and purchase some other charger that the Tesla and Nissan would share...
Or get the mobile connector and a Tesla to J1772 adapter, same as mentioned above.

I think I understand. I just spoke to a Tesla advisor that didn't know anything and thoroughly confused me.

She said that she didn't know if a non-Tesla (i.e. Leaf) could connect to the $400 Tesla Wall Connector. So, basically it looks like it can.

I'm leaning towards a second $400 Tesla Wall Connector, because it's cheaper and/or I could use the $200 credit towards it.

Are other EV chargers like the Massimo, Juicebox, Chargepoint, etc. better than the Tesla Wall Connector ($400)?

Why did you choose that over the Tesla Wall Connector?
$1500 rebate from my utility company for charger installation plus offpeak charge rate of .02 p/kWh. It was a no brainer to get a charger that enables to send your charging information. I paid $660 for my unit vs $400 Tesla unit. Plus I didn’t know if there will be another brand of EV. So I purchased a universal charger with and adapter to charge the Tesla and my plug-in Prius that I was going to purchase. With the Tesla unit, no rebate from utility company and offpeak charge was $.11 p/kWh. So far I have put on 1,976 miles in 2.5 months of ownership plus for less than $5 home charging.

Attachments

• 31B95D65-557F-4DF8-A85A-6C3210C7B5B3.jpeg
    31B95D65-557F-4DF8-A85A-6C3210C7B5B3.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 2E2D7493-9B50-4C7F-8496-63B1B54D0878.jpeg
    2E2D7493-9B50-4C7F-8496-63B1B54D0878.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 41
$1500 rebate from my utility company for charger installation plus offpeak charge rate of .02 p/kWh. It was a no brainer to get a charger that enables to send your charging information. I paid $660 for my unit vs $400 Tesla unit. Plus I didn’t know if there will be another brand of EV. So I purchased a universal charger with and adapter to charge the Tesla and my plug-in Prius that I was going to purchase. With the Tesla unit, no rebate from utility company and offpeak charge was $.11 p/kWh. So far I have put on 1,976 miles in 2.5 months of ownership plus for less than $5 home charging.
Thanks for your detailed reply. Does the Juicebox48 charger help you get a better rate, or you like it because it keeps track of your savings? I'm not sure if my electric utility company offers that or not, but am thinking now to get the juicebox48 for my home and use the Tesla Wall Connector at my parents home because I wouldn't use that as often.

Thanks for your detailed reply. Does the Juicebox48 charger help you get a better rate, or you like it because it keeps track of your savings? I'm not sure if my electric utility company offers that or not, but am thinking now to get the juicebox48 for my home and use the Tesla Wall Connector at my parents home because I wouldn't use that as often.
MD has several programs:
- Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Rebate Program - provides 40% rebate on charger install
- Instructions for Form 8911 (01/2022) | Internal Revenue Service - you can claim another 30% from Fed on your taxes
- Electric Vehicles | Baltimore Gas and Electric Company BGE offers lower rate for off peak charging plus $50 a year incentive
- Electric Vehicles | Pepco - An Exelon Company - Pepco offers $300 for Level 2 charges
- Potomac Edison EV Driven FAQ · EnergyHub BYOT - Potomac Edison $300 for level 2 charger
- https://www.delmarva.com/ - Delmarva $300 for level 2 charger

I personally on BGE
- got 240 outlet and used (at that point) supplied Tesla charger. Works as intended just needed to buy 14-50 Nema Adapter. BGE at that time also gave me $300 for 240 EV outlet install. Now they changed the program a bit
- got $400 back from State rebate
- and 30% credit on taxes
- install was $990 mostly because of 50 feet of wire, but ended up being free after all rebates and credits.
- Now I am charging 9pm-7am half the price of BGE regular rate. Note, you can't be on alternative supplier.

Getting non Tesla chargers benefit on better tracking if you are into it. For me Tesla App is doing fine, plus BGE EV site supplies data for 7 or 30 days and BGE bill details how much your car consumed for billing period.
bge.ev-pulse.com will require to give your Tesla login to connect to your charger.
I would assume similar process for other chargers.
Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 9.55.42 AM.png

Last edited:
MD has several programs:
- Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Rebate Program - provides 40% rebate on charger install
- Instructions for Form 8911 (01/2022) | Internal Revenue Service - you can claim another 30% from Fed on your taxes
- Electric Vehicles | Baltimore Gas and Electric Company BGE offers lower rate for off peak charging plus $50 a year incentive
- Electric Vehicles | Pepco - An Exelon Company - Pepco offers $300 for Level 2 charges
- Potomac Edison EV Driven FAQ · EnergyHub BYOT - Potomac Edison $300 for level 2 charger
- https://www.delmarva.com/ - Delmarva $300 for level 2 charger

I personally on BGE
- got 240 outlet and used (at that point) supplied Tesla charger. Works as intended just needed to buy 14-50 Nema Adapter. BGE at that time also gave me $300 for 240 EV outlet install. Now they changed the program a bit
- got $400 back from State rebate
- and 30% credit on taxes
- install was $990 mostly because of 50 feet of wire, but ended up being free after all rebates and credits.
- Now I am charging 9pm-7am half the price of BGE regular rate. Note, you can't be on alternative supplier.

Getting non Tesla chargers benefit on better tracking if you are into it. For me Tesla App is doing fine, plus BGE EV site supplies data for 7 or 30 days and BGE bill details how much your car consumed for billing period.
bge.ev-pulse.com will require to give your Tesla login to connect to your charger.
I would assume similar process for other chargers.
View attachment 870616
Thanks. So you're saying that probably a $400 Tesla charger would provide the same quality of charge as the $650ish non-Tesla one? The main benefits being enhanced charging stats?

Thanks. So you're saying that probably a $400 Tesla charger would provide the same quality of charge as the $650ish non-Tesla one? The main benefits being enhanced charging stats?
As long as you are the owner of the vehicle and not an additional driver, you can get the basic charging stats for your Tesla right in the Tesla app. kWh consumed on each day and percentage of energy consumed during peak and off-peak hours.

Mobile charger provides you with 27 mile per hour charge.
Wall connector will give you 35-45 mile per hour depending on the wire.

I usually plug the car every day and rarely drop the charge below20%.

It start charging at 9pm and usually by 11pm the car is charged. if I took long drives on weekend it will take 6 hours to get me to 80%.

That is why I didn't see any benefit spending money on wall connector. Plus I can take mobile charger on a trip if need to.

To tell you the truth I used regular 110 outlet for 4 month with mobile charger and it was fine but would take all night to charge since it was adding like 5-7 miles per hour. As back up I have Tesla Supercharger 10 min from my place.
But when I saw all the incentives - getting faster charging for "free" made sense to me.

Anything but a Tesla charger applied at the time, utility company’s want to monitor your charging while Tesla charger does not send usage data. I opted for the unit my utility company have me the rate & rebate for. Hope this help. Contact you utility company if they offer such promotions.