Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good way of measuring accurately KWH usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't look like it gives you the option to see an hourly breakdown.
This is the closest I can get, which is just my usage per bill.
gJwD0v7.png

Apparently 98.43% of all the neighbours around me used less than me in consumption... :(

OMG you are using over 50kwh a day on average. Even in October where you aren't running the furnace much and likely the car is running more efficiently you averaged 46kwh per day.

Do you have a gas or electric water heater?

How old is your home and how is the wiring?

OMG you are using over 50kwh a day on average. Even in October where you aren't running the furnace much and likely the car is running more efficiently you averaged 46kwh per day.

Luxury!

My monthly usage ranges for 2800kWh(April) to 6000kWh(July) - so that is 90-200kWh/day. And I don't drive my car a lot. And I have gas water and heating. But I have two ACs, two furnaces, a pool open from May-Oct, a hot tub, many computers that never get shut off, landscape lighting, etc.

Luxury!

My monthly usage ranges for 2800kWh(April) to 6000kWh(July) - so that is 90-200kWh/day. And I don't drive my car a lot. And I have gas water and heating. But I have two ACs, two furnaces, a pool open from May-Oct, a hot tub, many computers that never get shut off, landscape lighting, etc.

I have a similar size house to OP and I used about 300-400kwh a month before getting an EV.

I can charge at work for 4hours, but when I was driving a lot my max at home was about 1200kwh total, with probably 750-800kwh of that being charging the car (I think I did over 5000km that month, with some supercharging, and some work charging).

I'm driving a lot less so I'm down to about 600kwh.

This is with gas water and heating.

Here is one with a split core CT

MICTUNING AC LCD Display Digital Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter 80-260V 0-100A Current Voltage Power Energy Frequency Power Factor Meter with Split Core Current Transformer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHDMZJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Dq1kEbPY98E2S

still have to tap something to get the voltage reference.

I’d say you have something else going on. Refrigerator running non-stop? Central heat blower failing?

Anyone get one of those reports from your local electrical utility telling you that you are a very high user of electricity compared to your neighbourhood. But they don't take into account the fact that you have an EV so that yoiu are actually very environmentally friendly as you don't burn any gasoline.

• Funny
Reactions: Stockboy and bijan
Anyone get one of those reports from your local electrical utility telling you that you are a very high user of electricity compared to your neighbourhood. But they don't take into account the fact that you have an EV so that yoiu are actually very environmentally friendly as you don't burn any gasoline.

I'm sad I don't get those anymore. I was always in the bottom 10% before, I'd probably be just under average to just over average now depending on how much I drive :)

Average cost of electricity ~ $80 per month. Do the math and it's about 800kWh + charging inefficiencies. About 1000kWh per month due to the EV I say is normal given we don't use 200L+ of gasoline a month anymore to do the same amount of travel.

Home is from early 70s, wiring is mostly from that same era... it's a gas water heater.
Average cost of electricity ~ $80 per month. Do the math and it's about 800kWh + charging inefficiencies. About 1000kWh per month due to the EV I say is normal given we don't use 200L+ of gasoline a month anymore to do the same amount of travel.
I'm getting double that in a small house :(
Yes, apparently mines higher than 98.4% of everyone else around me... lol

I have a similar size house to OP and I used about 300-400kwh a month before getting an EV.

I can charge at work for 4hours, but when I was driving a lot my max at home was about 1200kwh total, with probably 750-800kwh of that being charging the car (I think I did over 5000km that month, with some supercharging, and some work charging).

I'm driving a lot less so I'm down to about 600kwh.

This is with gas water and heating.
I can't imagine my bill being so much higher just from my car when all I do is drive 65km one way, with 98% of the commute being highway driving (other way is free, due to charging at work).

Also, got a few of these in today, going to hook these up to each circuit that I believe to be the culprits. (Furnace, Washer, Dryer, EV Charger).

Furnace when fan is running is maybe 0.5kw assuming it's gas. So having fan on all the time would be maybe 300-400kwh. Washer is pretty low. Dryer is maybe 6kw so 6kwh per hour of use. Ev charger is 15kwh a day as you said so 400-500kwh a month. Still missing half your usage.

I'm interested in getting a device that can clamp on the 240V charging circuit in the electrical panel rather than the ring (noted above). If you know of one, please link it here. Thanks!

I use a wireless Eyedro meter. Just clip these around your charging circuit at the panel and hook it up to your network and you get access to a monitoring site that shows you all your usage and can send you periodic reports.

https://eyedro.com/

Reactions: SilverGS

The computers are not material unless you're running racks of bitcoin miners. A/C is effectively zero at this time of year. Same with the pool.

if you're keeping it warm all the time I'd put money on the hot tub being a major sink.

If you haven't done it already, I'd replace all the lights with LED units.

Old fridge or freezer units could be problems.

With a 3200 kWh delta, mostly for A/C, means your house is suffering from solar gain and energy loss through air leaks. Get someone to check your insulation levels and do a whole house air infiltration test. Verify that your windows don't leak and, hopefully, they have a low E coating. If the furnaces aren't high efficiency units they're probably drawing quite a lot in the cold weather.

Your energy problem is definitely not the car.

Reactions: bijan
@Zirak did the time of use data give any clues? What is the hourly draw at night and during the day when not charging?

1.5-2kw draw 24/7 plus car charging would do it.

Mine is maybe 0.6kw at night.

Edit: maybe you have a space heater plugged in somewhere you don't know about :p
It's very sporadic, I can't pinpoint what's causing it other than the obvious EV charging, have it scheduled charging through the car interface for off peak hours.

Attachments

• 7633577408_2020-01-2320.37.36.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 45
It's very sporadic, I can't pinpoint what's causing it other than the obvious EV charging, have it scheduled charging through the car interface for off peak hours.

Looks like you have 48A charging. Nice!

Do you schedule to start at a specific time or do you use the new departure schedule feature? That heats the cabin and battery and might be an additional draw, though I'm not sure it would explain everything.

I haven't crunched the numbers but it looks like you have a not insignificant load even when not charging at night. 2kw at 3am for example.

I'm away from a computer right now but you could get a ballpark idea of car charging/heavy appliances vs light stuff by adding up all hours >=5 kwh and all hours <=5kwh and seeing how much of each you have.

Edit: maybe 3 or 4kwh is a better cut-off