Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Guide To Tesla Energy

TheTalkingMule

Distributed Energy Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I don't see solar roofs being a very big deal in the next few years, though I can understand why Elon put such emphasis on it's importance at rollout. Elon's a creative thinker who understands crowd psychology and economics, but his perspective is obviously that of an absurdly wealthy consumer. Normal folks would be more than happy to take action with a cheap traditional solution.

To me it's not aesthetics, but economics holding Tesla Energy back on the residential end. SolarCity's issues were quite obvious in retrospect and Elon has already acted to carve them out. DevCo(the sales half of the company) ran the show. It's only natural that a sales org wouldn't drive down soft costs when their existence was literally most of the soft cost. Without lean soft costs residential solar(fancy or standard) will NEVER scale properly.

Door to door sales has been canned by Elon, Sunrun/Vivint carry on the SolarCity model, and Telsa is treading water until other customer acquisition avenues present themselves. I honestly think if Sunrun weren't doing such a great job executing the sales-heavy model, Elon would still be out there right now begrudgingly eating tons of sales cost. As it is, they're content to let others handle that role.

My prediction is we see Tesla ramp up residential solar/storage in a big way next spring. Selling online only and keeping non-install costs low will create a huge value moat that'll begin to squeeze the other big players. After a year of that Elon buys Sunrun for $1.6B and integrates their footprint into his lean sales/service platform. Lynn Jurich(Sunrun CEO) runs the entire residential wing of Tesla Energy and grid services are carved out to their own group within Tesla.

That's a fairly detailed prediction but it's the only thing I see that makes sense. People are drastically underestimating how cheap top quality American made solar can be installed(if you have a scaled plant and install network). If Elon drops a base price point of $2.49/Watt online NO ONE will be able to compete on value and latent demand will flow like mad. Then you "bail out" Sunrun for cheap. By then(late 2021) solar roof will be ready to take off.

Reactions: mspohr

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
I'm building a new cottage on my property this summer and would love to have a solar roof but doesn't look like I can count on it.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC