Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A heavily used SR+ - thoughts and stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to write for a high circulation magazine and once had an article "lifted" without permission or attribution (inc photographs) by a sister publication.

I found out when a reader of the other publication notified me (like you, I had no idea it happened). The person who did it got into huge strife as did his editor, and was severely chastised. The publisher paid me for the article, an apology was printed in the next issue plus my name was acknowledged and I got an apology from the Chairman of the publishing company.

So I think you have very strong grounds to protest this terrible plagiarism. Your permission should have been asked, your name should have been mentioned (if desired) and you should have been given the opportunity to review what was written before publishing. They should also offer you payment for your content; even if they don't normally pay, it would be a way of saying "sorry". They should also publish an attribution and apology as soon as possible.

Sadly I think that's media these days.

One of my posts here (and on a FB group) was also turned into an article

At least Nathan who is active on a few FB forums got credit in this article

Reactions: Vostok
So I think you have very strong grounds to protest this terrible plagiarism. Your permission should have been asked, your name should have been mentioned (if desired) and you should have been given the opportunity to review what was written before publishing. They should also offer you payment for your content; even if they don't normally pay, it would be a way of saying "sorry". They should also publish an attribution and apology as soon as possible.
The real question here is what’s the level of harm.

I’m pissed off, but that isn’t especially unusual.

I’m feeling vindicated about my belief that journalists are, by and large, thieves and liars who can’t even operate a calculator, who will misrepresent anything to get the story they want.

TL;DR: That opinion is regularly reinforced whenever I see a journalist misrepresent any matter that I know any backstory about. Something I have some other direct experience with. Jonathan Creek from Channel 7 News in Melbourne stole my MiniDV tape on New Years Day 2004 on the pretence they didn’t have a van that could copy the footage from the Flinders Street Station debacle, as ‘it’s a public holiday’, and they just needed to ‘borrow’ it to copy it in the studio (until right after Channel 9’s deadline). “These exclusive pictures recorded by an amateur cameraman” won him a quill award later that year.

Actual segment:

Backstory:

But back on topic. I put the info out there for public consumption. Should I really complain when it’s republished? Despite the by-line, she didn’t really take credit for it. It’s clearly said that it’s sourced from TMC. Though a heads-up would have been nice. And maybe fix the typos!

Not a word. I didn’t know the article existed til your link.

Could have at least tallied the tyre costs correctly. It wasn’t $7000. And fix the bame/name typo.
I don’t know what the legal implications are for quoting a public forum but Bridie Schmidt and Giles Parkinson have been big supporters of the EV and renewable energy movements with the RenewEconomy and Driven websites.
I think if you contact Brodie she would be happy to correct any mistakes and add an attribution if you asked.

Reactions: cafz and moa999
I don’t know what the legal implications are for quoting a public forum but Bridie Schmidt and Giles Parkinson have been big supporters of the EV and renewable energy movements with the RenewEconomy and Driven websites.
Indeed. I’d assume they’re within their legal rights to lift it. And yes, it’s something that supports those tribal narratives.

Thing is, I didn’t buy a Tesla because I’m on the environmentalist bandwagon.

While I’m certain her contributions to tribal narratives are well meaning and heartfelt, and not necessarily the sort of anti-humanism that seems to be getting normalised these days (eat the bug, or go vegan, live in the pod, don’t have children, don’t raise the children you do have yourself - leave it to (us), punish others children by making them terrified of the future every single day, punish them again as they grow up by locking up all the good real estate and flooding the job market with cheaper overseas workers instead of forcing businesses to train our own etc.). Those are the values that I see among many environmentalists. I couldn’t possibly share common cause with them, as a matter of principle.

I bought the car because I’m the sort of aspie who looks at logistics of situations and thinks “that many people can’t fit on so few trains” or “this country can’t keep buying oil from our enemies overseas, someday a couple of tankers will stop for some reason or another, a storm, a war, a trade embargo, a Chinese military exercise near the Solomons, a few poorly timed mechanical issues, and the country will be on its knees within a few weeks as literally everything here is dependent on those few ships”.

Plus EVs are fun. And cool. And they steer topics of annoying Uber rider chatter from infuriating smalltalk about the weather over to stuff that’s actually engaging. At least among those riders who insist on talking to their driver. And they’re cheap to operate. And very little goes wrong with them. And servicing my old car every 7 weeks/10,000km was really annoying.

Personally I think electrification is important for stability and peace of mind. I love that the car is entirely agnostic about its energy source. And you aren’t risking starving the third world by using valuable farmland and farm output to produce biofuels (looking at you, Manildra!). The fact you’re not breathing in fumes, not messing with the rest of the atmosphere (leave no trace), and so on, are just bonuses.

But yeah, umm, that went on a bit too long. A heads-up would have been nice.

What surprises me about this is (a) checking with sources is such a basic journalistic principle and requirement, and it’s not like Brodie is a newbie and (b) in any event, simple human decency says “ask first”. So why this wasn’t done is just puzzling and disappointing. I guess we all have brain fades at times, but still.

Doubt it was a brain fade given that's the industry the person works in. A public forum is fair game but when so much detail is lifted you would think common courtesy would have contacted the source and checked if ok to publish more widely and all of the details were in fact correct / true. There might have been more interesting details to add to the article as well. I guess that industry just doesn't operate with that kind of decency.

That site, as noted is very pro EV and renewables - often to the point of the tribalism that infects our politics these days sadly. The journalism from the author is usually a bit thin, mostly I think from an effort to get something to publish as often as possible.

I‘d support contacting the author and reminding them about the usual courtesies, especially in a place where the number of people in the strongly engaged community is small.

Reactions: Gayle S
May 2020: $390 on a tyre (when I thought the genuine Michelin was important)
Vandalism replacement. I was fishing screws out of my driveway and had already had a separate repairable puncture a few days prior. Probably the angry geezer in Unit 6.

Tyre subtotal $390.
July 2020: $1058 on 4 tyres. Never buying the Goodyear Eagle F1’s again! They really last, but their traction is awful.
Tyre subtotal $1448
Late 2020 (can’t find the date or transaction record): $1040ish on 4 tyres (my first batch of Toyo Proxes C100 - an awesome tyre for my heavy driving habits)
I found the invoice from Blairs below and figured out why there was no bank or tax record of this - this didn’t happen!

I got my wires crossed. Blairs sold me the first round of Toyos. Tyrepower’s Goodyears just lasted. Except they slipped like crazy throughout.

Tyre subtotal $1448
November 2020: $273 on an undercarriage replacement from hydroplaning when the panels were already soggy
Somehow this replacement panel got lumped into the tyre expenses in the article.
February 2021: $800 on 4 tyres (Kumho’s from Blair’s at Warilla - a very respectable tyre).
Found the invoice. These weren’t the Kumhos, these were the Toyo Proxes C100’s. Awesome tyres.

Tyre subtotal $2,248
March 2021: $159 on a replacement tyre - puncture.
This was a random tyre replacement from another screw. Possibly an unsealed driveway on an Uber trip (and if so, I think I know which driveway, it wasn’t the only time I went there). Possibly vandalism.

Tyrepower didn’t have new tyres in 235/45R18 but they had one they stripped off another car that had spent it’s life as their spare. It was the best they could do on a Sunday.

Tyre subtotal $2,407
June 2021: $409 on 2 tyres - back to the Toyos.
Tyre subtotal $2,816
July 2021: $611 on a double undercarriage replacement from the aforementioned roadkill. Also includes wiper blades.
September 2021: $313 on the seatbelt clip. Also includes cabin air filters.
Not tyres
September 2021: $430 on 2 tyres - Kumho’s I think.
These were the Kumho’s.

Tyre subtotal: $3,246
February 2022: $890 on 2 x 2nd hand wheels from an SR+ off another Tesla owner who fitted sick rims. 1 was for a pothole replacement, 1 is now a spare. Included 2 decrepit Michelins.
Sorta not tyres. But I did get two months out of the decrepit tyres the wheels shipped with. Though one had a nail in it when it arrived.
February 2022: $112 to play musical tyres, patch a puncture, and swap around the tyre pressure sensors
Sorta not tyres.
April 2022: $740 on 4 tyres while on a road trip. 2 Continentals and 2 Kumho’s (the only 4 they had in stock, I was pressed for time, one had a slow leak and they were all on their way out, and I wasn’t interested in running around)
Tyre subtotal: $3,986
April 2022: $109 on wiper blades and a brake fluid flush and inspection

Plus more than a few $20-30ish rotations.
It’s really puzzling where $7k for tyres in the article came from. The number based on my bad recollection was $5k. And after I lucked on the Blair’s invoice and realised my mistake, it’s only $4k.

Thanks for the extra information about tires is really helpful to me. I don’t drive far enough to get to compare several sets of tires for myself.

Do you reckon it’s worth talking to the journo to get it sorted?

I understand it might feel a bit confrontational, so I think you should feel comfortable and that the choice is only yours either way.

I‘d wonder if they have scraped the thread already.

It is amazing to me how gentle EVs are on the friction brakes. The thing about the Tesla discs that I find most interesting is that they are quite resistant to surface corrosion as well.

My old Audi A3 etron had brakes that frequently squeaked from surface rust that accumulated between me using the friction brakes. It hasn’t happened with my M3 at all. I wonder what the difference in the alloy is.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan