Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A heavily used SR+ - thoughts and stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some discussion with @Vostok @cbo100 and @Hairyman in an entirely unrelated thread - Evie EV charging networks - here’s some info on my heavily used SR+

It’s a 1/2020 Fremont Model 3 SR+, delivered 3/2020.
4B2F8C18-0145-4369-94E2-D0754D70989D.png

I use it for weekly runs from QBN to SYD. And a lot of Uber trips on the way there and back (mostly in Wollongong, but I’ve driven Tamworth, Dubbo, Orange, Wagga, Canberra, Nowra, Sydney, Central Coast and Hunter - Uber is way more tolerable if you’re driving far from home). And 5 round trips to Moree. A typical week is 1500km-ish.

It’s done 162,000km (exactly)
7E59D87E-62EA-4672-82B1-B1ED3911CED0.jpeg

90% = 293km. This could be underreported, particularly since almost all my last 900km of driving is highway or freeway.
6646E90A-5537-452C-90D9-B88DEB25093E.jpeg

If I give it a really solid charge at Chargefox Shell Cove, I can climb Macquarie Pass and reach QBN without detouring into Goulburn to charge. Though I’m not keen to deep cycle the battery that heavily on an uphill trip.

Early on I needed a new charge port as the Mennekes lock just stopped engaging. The car limited itself to low amperage charging until replaced. Sorted under warranty. Took 15 minutes on a quick drop into the service centre.

Last July I had to replace several pieces of the undertray - 2nd time - after I stuck some roadkill near Marulan. July was a bit more expensive than an earlier violent hydroplaning incident, as it was two pieces instead of just one. I can’t find the earlier invoice as it seems to only go back one year in-app now.
4EA02B0F-A73C-442B-8E5A-109A24396811.jpeg

Last September I got cabin filters replaced, along with a weird issue with the seatbelt clip sensor wire. It could have just been a loose clip, but we replaced the entire module to get it over and done with. So expensive!
BB28BC49-9228-4C0F-A9BC-BC957E6B8F7F.jpeg

1653017525331.jpeg

Last November my washer bottle got gunked up from SuperCheap’s imitation Rain-X plus some generic buildup. Service centre suggested I switch to 50-50 vinegar and water.

Last December I got squeaky steering at low speeds in wet weather. Needed new front upper control arms. Sorted under warranty.
5AFD9E90-704F-4FF0-99D0-550C95B3F3E2.jpeg

I got my first two-yearly scheduled service last month. Again, so expensive!
77A00EC8-0017-4DB1-9BC7-BCCC7B6DDC2E.jpeg

Ask me anything!

Interesting on the gunked up wiper sprays - had that same problem on a ford. They said don’t use any of those additives, they will all gunk up the works eventually.

I suspect it’s related to incompatible mixing when you add something different to the factory/service centre. Same as never mix coolants.

Interesting on the gunked up wiper sprays - had that same problem on a ford. They said don’t use any of those additives, they will all gunk up the works eventually.

I suspect it’s related to incompatible mixing when you add something different to the factory/service centre. Same as never mix coolants.
Not sure, but whatever you do, don’t use plain water. Add something that’ll kill legionella - such as Vinegar.

May 2020: $390 on a tyre (when I thought the genuine Michelin was important)

July 2020: $1058 on 4 tyres. Never buying the Goodyear Eagle F1’s again! They really last, but their traction is awful.

Late 2020 (can’t find the date or transaction record): $1040ish on 4 tyres (my first batch of Toyo Proxes C100 - an awesome tyre for my heavy driving habits)

November 2020: $273 on an undercarriage replacement from hydroplaning when the panels were already soggy

February 2021: $800 on 4 tyres (Kumho’s from Blair’s at Warilla - a very respectable tyre).

March 2021: $159 on a replacement tyre - puncture.

June 2021: $409 on 2 tyres - back to the Toyos.

July 2021: $611 on a double undercarriage replacement from the aforementioned roadkill. Also includes wiper blades.

September 2021: $313 on the seatbelt clip. Also includes cabin air filters.

September 2021: $430 on 2 tyres - Kumho’s I think.

February 2022: $890 on 2 x 2nd hand wheels from an SR+ off another Tesla owner who fitted sick rims. 1 was for a pothole replacement, 1 is now a spare. Included 2 decrepit Michelins.

February 2022: $112 to play musical tyres, patch a puncture, and swap around the tyre pressure sensors

April 2022: $740 on 4 tyres while on a road trip. 2 Continentals and 2 Kumho’s (the only 4 they had in stock, I was pressed for time, one had a slow leak and they were all on their way out, and I wasn’t interested in running around)

April 2022: $109 on wiper blades and a brake fluid flush and inspection

Plus more than a few $20-30ish rotations.

After some discussion with @Vostok @cbo100 and @Hairyman in an entirely unrelated thread - Evie EV charging networks - here’s some info on my heavily used SR+

It’s a 1/2020 Fremont Model 3 SR+, delivered 3/2020.
View attachment 806444
I use it for weekly runs from QBN to SYD. And a lot of Uber trips on the way there and back (mostly in Wollongong, but I’ve driven Tamworth, Dubbo, Orange, Wagga, Canberra, Nowra, Sydney, Central Coast and Hunter - Uber is way more tolerable if you’re driving far from home). And 5 round trips to Moree. A typical week is 1500km-ish.

It’s done 162,000km (exactly)
View attachment 806438
90% = 293km. This could be underreported, particularly since almost all my last 900km of driving is highway or freeway.
View attachment 806440
If I give it a really solid charge at Chargefox Shell Cove, I can climb Macquarie Pass and reach QBN without detouring into Goulburn to charge. Though I’m not keen to deep cycle the battery that heavily on an uphill trip.

Early on I needed a new charge port as the Mennekes lock just stopped engaging. The car limited itself to low amperage charging until replaced. Sorted under warranty. Took 15 minutes on a quick drop into the service centre.

Last July I had to replace several pieces of the undertray - 2nd time - after I stuck some roadkill near Marulan. July was a bit more expensive than an earlier violent hydroplaning incident, as it was two pieces instead of just one. I can’t find the earlier invoice as it seems to only go back one year in-app now.
View attachment 806450

Last September I got cabin filters replaced, along with a weird issue with the seatbelt clip sensor wire. It could have just been a loose clip, but we replaced the entire module to get it over and done with. So expensive!
View attachment 806452
View attachment 806457

Last November my washer bottle got gunked up from SuperCheap’s imitation Rain-X plus some generic buildup. Service centre suggested I switch to 50-50 vinegar and water.

Last December I got squeaky steering at low speeds in wet weather. Needed new front upper control arms. Sorted under warranty.
View attachment 806453

I got my first two-yearly scheduled service last month. Again, so expensive!
View attachment 806455

Ask me anything!

What was the initial 90% charge limit when car was purchased?
Just interested what % battery capacity has been lost over these kms

How’s the interior holding up
I’m not thrilled at how easy it is to get scuff around the rear seat wells. There are some scratches on the back of the front seats.

And I think my habit of leaving my forearm on the door frame, and continuous outdoor parking, has made the vinyl below the drivers side window go sticky.

And at some point I need to figure out how to clean squashed dead mosquitoes out of the lining behind the A pillar.

Reactions: fobo
Amazing you have not been through a couple of windscreens with those kms and the M3 being so low. The windscreens are made of cheese, I went through one in first 5000kms.

I‘ve had two stones hit my windscreen pretty hard, both while driving in the country. The first one took a small chunk out in the driver’s field of vision, but thankfully it was just a small divot (about 1mm) and no cracks. It’s been fine ever since and does not affect sightlines (it’s quite hard to see unless you know where it is).

The second was much lower down and to the right, but created a “bullseye” with a star crack. Got it resin-repaired the same day. The guy said I was very wise to do that, as those cracks have a nasty habit of spreading and repair is not nearly as effective or protective if any moisture or dust gets into the cracks. Repair is almost invisible and no signs of the cracks spreading 2 months down the track.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter