Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A just got my car and asked service to fix a panel gap, after they fixed it my car drives differently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can feel my car shaking while driving, the steering wheel is vibrating/shaking and I can feel the car jerking forward a lot. Is this something that could happen during a panel gap repair or is this a completely different problem? Is it possible they changed something in the settings? I definitely didn't feel these things before I took it in for repair and it was previously a really smooth ride.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I can feel my car shaking while driving, the steering wheel is vibrating/shaking and I can feel the car jerking forward a lot. Is this something that could happen during a panel gap repair or is this a completely different problem? Is it possible they changed something in the settings? I definitely didn't feel these things before I took it in for repair and it was previously a really smooth ride.
It's possible they:

Hit a curb

Damaged a tire

Bent a wheel

Forgot to reinstall a part.

Reinstalled damaged part incorrectly

Or, all of these things, and more, happened to me on a Single SvC visit in Socal.

This sort of thing was always my fear about asking for elective cosmetic surgery. All 3 of my Teslas could have used it but I was afraid of the consequences. This sounds really extreme. I would make the service request asap. Either way it should be fixed.

when I picked up my car at delivery they told me it had been left in the parking lot for over a week and was dirty so they offered for me to go to the service center to get it buffed/cleaned. Since they offered I asked if they would do the panel gap as well. It wasn't something I went out of the way for but I figured since I was already going there it wouldn't hurt.

It looks very shiny and new after they cleaned it, but it just drives horribly now. I did message the old service ticket I had open from today and they told me all they did was drive it 1 mile to get it washed and then fixed the gap nothing else, so they're saying they didn't cause it. I don't know what else could have caused it. They honestly didn't even fix the gap it's still there, a little bit better but not by much.

Last edited:
when I picked up my car at delivery they told me it had been left in the parking lot for over a week and was dirty so they offered for me to go to the service center to get it buffed/cleaned. Since they offered I asked if they would do the panel gap as well. It wasn't something I went out of the way for but I figured since I was already going there it wouldn't hurt.

It looks very shiny and new after they cleaned it, but it just drives horribly now. I did message the old service ticket I had open from today and they told me all they did was drive it 1 mile to get it washed and then fixed the gap nothing else, so they're saying they didn't cause it. I don't know what else could have caused it. They honestly didn't even fix the gap it's still there, a little bit better but not by much.

It is possible something happened in that mile, and whatever happened was ignored and not reported.

If you had Teslafi you could track the cars movement and maybe catch them in a lie. it has worked for me multiple times.

Raise the car safely and get under it. Look at the suspension and steering especially.

Every day that goes by increases the chance of them blaming you for what is probably serious damage.

Tesla is not nearly as good as fixing gaps as they are causing them.

It is possible something happened in that mile, and whatever happened was ignored and not reported.

If you had Teslafi you could track the cars movement and maybe catch them in a lie. it has worked for me multiple times.

Raise the car safely and get under it. Look at the suspension and steering especially.

Every day that goes by increases the chance of them blaming you for what is probably serious damage.

Tesla is not nearly as good as fixing gaps as they are causing them.
I looked on teslafi they didn’t really drive it far. The car isn’t falling apart but the shaking is noticeable, even at a red light stopped I can feel it vibrating. I am worried that if I take it back they will just make it worse.

What could they have done to make it vibrate and shake? Could taking a door off and trying to fix the panel gap cause this?

I have been asking in my past service ticket what specifically they worked on but they have started to ignore my messages after saying they didn’t do anything.

I opened a new service ticket but next availability isn’t until next week.

Reactions: pipestem
All good suggestions, but I would not delay escalating this with Tesla asap. They can also tell you if the weight fell off the wheel. On my TM3, they are pretty large and noticable - and nicely done.

I have no idea what the weights look like.. do the tempest wheels cover the weights? I think it’s hard to see without taking off the rims?

I have an appointment for next monday, they said all they did was work on the panel gap and then closed the previous ticket, so i’m not sure why the wheels weight would have fallen off but who knows.

It vibrates, but not as much as it bounces up and down on a regular smooth road

Last edited:
I would not fixate on the wheel balance weights. I think you said you get the shaking at rest anyway. Let’s see what they say. Stick to your guns - this condition is not right and Tesla needs to fix it. Good luck.
Well it’s not as bad at rest but it’s still there. The main thing I notice is that it bounces up and down, every few hundred feet I can feel the car drop, even on a smooth road. It makes me sort of nauseous like a drop on a roller coaster.

I’ll see what the say Monday, just worried that they’re going to say they don’t notice anything or nothing they can do.

Well it’s not as bad at rest but it’s still there. The main thing I notice is that it bounces up and down, every few hundred feet I can feel the car drop, even on a smooth road. It makes me sort of nauseous like a drop on a roller coaster.

I’ll see what the say Monday, just worried that they’re going to say they don’t notice anything or nothing they can do.
Can you open the suspension screen and see if things are moving around?

Do you have air suspension ?