Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A lackluster service experience so far...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I for one have had particularly good experiences with the communication and execution of service visits. I typically have dropped off my car at the Chicago service center, but for my next visit, I'm doing a swap with the Villa Park Service Center. I asked them to come to my work and pick up the car while dropping off the loaner. Only once have I not gotten a loaner, and that time it was a Toyota Camry. Personally, I'm happy I didn't have to pay for my own rental. So, if I had received a mini-van, I'd be a little embarrassed driving it, but I'd get over that pretty quickly. The rest of the time I've either gotten various MS 60/85/+ cars or a Roadster. Aside from the fact that my rattles keep coming back, everything else was ultimately addressed.

I'm bringing it in now for a few minor issues -- proximity sensors in the keys, moisture in the rear applique, check mirrors for corrosion run off, titanium shield, rattles, seat belt knocking, and a replacement lug nut that got beat up the last time the wheels were mounted. The rattle issue is immensely annoying and recurrent, so I'm hoping that this visit is The Visit that will result in a cure.

Don't mis-construe what I said above. Each time I took my car in, Tesla had a loaner for me. I have a P85. When I took the car in for its annual checkup, I was given a P85 loaner. When I took the car in for the battery shield installation, they gave me a S60 loaner. I don't mind that the loaner is not exactly like my car (i.e., a P85). In fact, I liked the ability to "test" a different variant of my car. My above post was merely pointing out that at least some dealers provide a loaner service similar to what Tesla offers.

I don't even get the choice of a loaner because of Missouri licensing laws - the St. Louis SC can't offer the Missouri-tagged loaner car to Illinois residents. So if I need one, all I get is an Enterprise car. I never request one, though, because it gives me an excuse to drive one of the classics. :)

Your past car makers gave a loaner of exactly the same car you owned? Your past car makers came and picked up your car before? Your past manufacturers were willing to to try to improve radio reception? Your past car makers topped off your gas tank?

Breathe in, Breathe out. Relax. You are creating stress for yourself.

To be fair TMC has stated that a loaner is to be expected. Other car makers have not made such a statement.

- Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners - Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/creating-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

I think this is just another example of weak comms. If TMC stated "we are sorry, there is so much demand for our vehicles that we are unable to keep loaners on hand" I think many of us, particularly shareholders, would be understanding and pleased. Unfortunately without such statements it makes Elon's blog post above seem somewhat of an empty promise.

tumblr_msvmqpQtqn1qkh4g0o1_500.jpg

From my last service visit:

Concern: Client reports poor radio reception. Client reports that
both AM & FM radios seem problematic.
Corrections: Antenna - AM/FM/HD Radio General Diagnosis
Test drove vehicle while listening to the radio. Found that there is interference while
listening to AM radio which is normal. Recommend continuing to use FM equivalent or
TuneIn radio to listen to AM stations.

Don't expect a fix. Unfortunately it's "normal." I'm not going to be as content if 4 years from now data isn't "free"...but for now TuneIn works...

So I had a small issue with the radio reception not being as good as my previous couple cars. I asked that they take the car and check it out. Figured I would get the titanium underbelly shield added at the same time.

I requested a loaner car as, well, I need a car for work. I was told not a problem and we purposely put the service date a month in the future so that I would get a loaner.

The night before the car was supposed to be picked up I got an email stating that a Tesla loaner would not be available and that Enterprise would contact me to get me a rental. (Pretty annoyed at this time as it was nonessential service and I didn't want a non-electric loaner vehicle. By the time I read the email it was the morning of service so I figured it was too late to change the date.)

The Tesla service person came in a flatbed to pick up my car the following morning. Enterprise hadn't contacted me at that point yet (they stated they had, but there was no missed calls or voice message on my phone). The Tesla rep contacted Enterprise and someone picked up my wife to take to the Enterprise lot to pick up a car. The only car they had for her was a Lincoln Town & Country minivan. Needless to say, she was quite upset at that point. I called the Tesla service and complained and they apologized and stated that in the future I make it known that I would only take a Tesla loaner. I thought I made that clear initially, but at this point I wasn't going to argue.

Fast forward 5 hours. I hadn't received a call from the service center (which is 1 hour/60 miles from my house). I called them up and they received the car but hadn't looked at it yet. They said they would look at it by tomorrow morning. The person on the phone this time was not particularly pleasant to talk to.

And here we are. Thursday afternoon. Was planning on a small road trip this weekend and figured I would do it in my car. Now I'm not even sure I'm getting the car by then. Driving a decrepit minivan.

Color me unimpressed for now.

(Tesla Model S Vin P32441, received 3/2014.)

To bad your service center doesn't offer limo service as an alternative to a loaner like the one in L.A.

No Loaner - Instead they gave me a Limo w/Driver!!

From my last service visit:

Concern: Client reports poor radio reception. Client reports that
both AM & FM radios seem problematic.
Corrections: Antenna - AM/FM/HD Radio General Diagnosis
Test drove vehicle while listening to the radio. Found that there is interference while
listening to AM radio which is normal. Recommend continuing to use FM equivalent or
TuneIn radio to listen to AM stations.

Don't expect a fix. Unfortunately it's "normal." I'm not going to be as content if 4 years from now data isn't "free"...but for now TuneIn works...

I was recently told this as well for FM reception going in and out while normal driving. My 1992 Mercedes 300D with a busted antenna only gets 1 channel really good now but it gets that channel consistently better then my Model S does. Sorry, not trying to make this a FM thread but come on. I'll be asking again.

The SC here is overall fantastic. I think I've met everyone and there's only one person that kinda rubs me the wrong way, but still does good work. They are human.

Minivan loaner is better then no loaner!

-m