Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little drive up Mt Evans - highest paved road in the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took Sam the Tesla up Mt Evans earlier today. Super easy drive in the new MS 70D although a little crowded on the road. Even with serious incline almost all the way out to the top of the mountain (approx 80 miles from home. 160 miles round trip) the car still showed approx 110 miles range available when I got home. Very Impressive. Firmware was updated to the latest yesterday, any evidence that its helping with extended range?

Sam@MtEvans-1.jpg
Sam@MtEvans-2.jpg
Sam@MtEvans-3.jpg

I was just here last week with a refreshed loaner while waiting for my cpo p85+
Very fun drive to the summit. I did feel a little lightheaded at the top probably due to the lack of oxygen, but the view was amazing.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Brister13
Did they fix all the road damage, or are there still some major ruts and potholes above the lake?
I don't think so. The road was pretty rough in a couple of spots near the lake. Was planning to take the car a little ways up and cycle the rest (had 2 road bikes in the back of the car) but decided against the cycling after seeing the road quality and, more importantly, the volume of cars.

It would be interesting to know the energy you used going up vs. going down.

When I first got my S and climbed a high mountain road (but only 4,500 ft as opposed to your 14,000!) on the way to my cabin (300 km away from my home) the range anxiety was incredible given all the energy it took going up, but then going back down my anxiety went down proportionally given how well the regeneration worked putting energy back into the battery. Then for the next mountain pass of another 4,500 feet I felt much more relaxed. It is really impressive how I can go to my cabin, 300 km away from my home, over 2 mountain passes of 4,500 feet, on one charge and still have about 60 km left on the battery when I arrive. What's equally impressive is that about a year after I bought my car Tesla put a Supercharger half-way in Hope BC meaning I don't need to range charger if I just take a short break.

Reactions: Brister13