TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A little frustrated

Discussion in 'Model S' started by torcator, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

I have called Tesla when my car appeared to be behaving a little oddly once, after the display crashed some time after a failed OTA firmware update. I messaged Tesla and asked them to please force a new update through to my car, and it happened within 3-4 hours, though they estimated up to 48 hrs for it to happen. The problem went away, of course.

I wouldn't advocate misusing this channel just to deal with impatience, but they're happy to help out if there's a problem, or for new customers who have been waiting too long for something that provides significant improvement to their cars.

2. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

From what I understand, Tesla pushed forward their updated suite of sensors before the software was fully implemented.

They were under pressure from a couple accidents and some negative press.

They implemented the strategy of installing the advanced sensor package at no charge to the unsuspecting buyers. This is a huge advantage to those getting all this new hardware.

Downside is that Tesla wants to get some initial feedback from this new technology before turning it over to navigating the car for you.

So now they are getting the feedback from the sensors and are little by little turning on the features that can be implemented with relative safety.

Summary. This is a huge step forward to automated driving capabilities. They needed to take a step backwards in order to pave the way for the future of automotaous driving.

This new generation of Tesla owners are providing the data needed to give the world a safer and more enjoyable mode of transportation.

Current customers get the choice of how much automated driving features they wish to purchase at the time of ordering, They also have the option to pay additional money to upgrade to more advanced sensor access at a future date.

• Like x 1
  3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Calling first-world whining out for what it is does not make one a Kool-Aid drinker.

• Like x 4
  4. Kenriko

Kenriko Vendor

Park at McDonalds get free wifi. Done.

5. ev-now

ev-now Member

Hmm, well I see plates every day which mean something to the owner but not me. As I don't usually Google them though as I'm driving ;)
    Pedestrian Environmental Quality Index - yep I think most people will not get that one.

• Like x 1
  6. Ohm it

Ohm it Member

Thats funny... didn't think of that....

I too see many plates that mean nothing to me, but can be used to entertain the brain when sitting in traffic trying to figure them out

Electrical equation for Power
    (P) Power = I (amps) x V (voltage)

7. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Oh, the requisite "first world" problem response any time someone even has a mild complaint on here.

I find it amusing because of how prominent it is here.

It's like a collection of the worlds most guilty feeling people.

• Like x 3
  8. Ohm it

Ohm it Member

I don't think he was whining....

I have another vehicle with adaptive cruise, rains sense, etc. If those features didn't work it would have gone back in for service.
    But since his car is a "Tesla" he must not complain.... with exception of the AP, nothing was disclosed that features would not be functioning upon delivery.

Besides he was asking if others had received the update and was looking for input.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but they do deserve criticism for some issues; and I think its funny how some people are quick to brush off complaints as if Tesla can do no wrong... :rolleyes:

• Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Haha, you know we AP1 owners did our fair share of complaining.

Geesh.

It's also different for AP2 people because they were given a time frame of the end of December, and they demo'd AP1. Plus Tesla has been horrible about communicating with them about the timeline.

Where we AP1 owners had very little in the way of knowing when it would drop.

Plus we at least had TACC for a good portion and that time, and unlike their TACC ours actually worked well.

• Like x 1
  10. Joe F

Joe F Disruption is hard.

AND, they put together a video showing a fully self driving X. I know my feeling was, wow, AP1 parity at least by end of Dec '16. Bit the bullet, bought the car, and so far feel shot in the ass with it.

Hopefully the growing pains will be less painful :mad:

Regulatory approval, as far as I was thinking, was waaaay off in the future for anything over and above parity.

11. ev-now

ev-now Member

Past performance is no guaranty of future performance - but it's often a good indicator. When I put a deposit down for an MX on the first day they took them, I didn't expect to wait 3+ years. When people bought AP1 cars they had no idea how long it might be for it to be enabled.

By the time people were ordering, and then taking delivery of AP2 vehicles there was a pretty clear track-record of aggressive estimates, and missed deadlines. Not defending Tesla at all, it's just the very observable MO - so seems like it should be expected by now.

My point about enjoying it was unlike MX, where people had to give up waiting and get something else (often an MS of course) - recent buyers have a car which is really quite amazing as a CAR, notwithstanding the missing features to come. Perhaps I'm too easily impressed but it looks great, drives great and is really fun - don't know how it got to be ordinary.

12. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Guilty as charged o_O

13. torcator

torcator Member

Finally, this morning I've got the push notification, and later I've installed...

So far, so good but I was expecting more....

• Disagree x 1