Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little frustrated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will get updates that are due for your car to receive even if you are never connected to WiFi. You --MAY-- get them a little sooner if you are connected to WiFi.
I have called Tesla when my car appeared to be behaving a little oddly once, after the display crashed some time after a failed OTA firmware update. I messaged Tesla and asked them to please force a new update through to my car, and it happened within 3-4 hours, though they estimated up to 48 hrs for it to happen. The problem went away, of course.

I wouldn't advocate misusing this channel just to deal with impatience, but they're happy to help out if there's a problem, or for new customers who have been waiting too long for something that provides significant improvement to their cars.

From what I understand, Tesla pushed forward their updated suite of sensors before the software was fully implemented.

They were under pressure from a couple accidents and some negative press.

They implemented the strategy of installing the advanced sensor package at no charge to the unsuspecting buyers. This is a huge advantage to those getting all this new hardware.

Downside is that Tesla wants to get some initial feedback from this new technology before turning it over to navigating the car for you.

So now they are getting the feedback from the sensors and are little by little turning on the features that can be implemented with relative safety.

Summary. This is a huge step forward to automated driving capabilities. They needed to take a step backwards in order to pave the way for the future of automotaous driving.

This new generation of Tesla owners are providing the data needed to give the world a safer and more enjoyable mode of transportation.

Current customers get the choice of how much automated driving features they wish to purchase at the time of ordering, They also have the option to pay additional money to upgrade to more advanced sensor access at a future date.

Reactions: Falkirk
Its on order should be here in a few weeks

also ordered PEQIXV not sure which one to assign to the car yet, most people won't get the meaning of the second one

I looked for WATTS UP in CA NV and AZ.... no go
Hmm, well I see plates every day which mean something to the owner but not me. As I don't usually Google them though as I'm driving ;)
Pedestrian Environmental Quality Index - yep I think most people will not get that one.

Reactions: Ohm it
Hmm, well I see plates every day which mean something to the owner but not me. As I don't usually Google them though as I'm driving ;)
Pedestrian Environmental Quality Index - yep I think most people will not get that one.

Thats funny... didn't think of that....

I too see many plates that mean nothing to me, but can be used to entertain the brain when sitting in traffic trying to figure them out

Electrical equation for Power
(P) Power = I (amps) x V (voltage)

Oh the first world problems we have ...

Seems to me, with AP1, that the fun of the car is driving it. AP is for when you don't have time for fun, and just "need to get there" - commute, etc. Enjoy what you have. As others have noted your wait is way shorter (probably) than many who have gone before you, and it's not like anyone could have missed that the hardware was on the car and the software was "coming soon".

Oh, the requisite "first world" problem response any time someone even has a mild complaint on here.

I find it amusing because of how prominent it is here.

It's like a collection of the worlds most guilty feeling people.

Calling first-world whining out for what it is does not make one a Kool-Aid drinker.

I don't think he was whining....

I have another vehicle with adaptive cruise, rains sense, etc. If those features didn't work it would have gone back in for service.
But since his car is a "Tesla" he must not complain.... with exception of the AP, nothing was disclosed that features would not be functioning upon delivery.

Besides he was asking if others had received the update and was looking for input.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but they do deserve criticism for some issues; and I think its funny how some people are quick to brush off complaints as if Tesla can do no wrong... :rolleyes:

I waited three years for my first S.

Like many others, I waited a year driving a HW 1 car before AP was activated.

I didn't complain and appreciated driving such an amazing and unique car.

You have to wait a few weeks?

Sorry, but in the words of Yoda, sympathy for you I do not have. A little perspective...

Haha, you know we AP1 owners did our fair share of complaining.

Geesh.

It's also different for AP2 people because they were given a time frame of the end of December, and they demo'd AP1. Plus Tesla has been horrible about communicating with them about the timeline.

Where we AP1 owners had very little in the way of knowing when it would drop.

Plus we at least had TACC for a good portion and that time, and unlike their TACC ours actually worked well.

Reactions: davidc18
AND, they put together a video showing a fully self driving X. I know my feeling was, wow, AP1 parity at least by end of Dec '16. Bit the bullet, bought the car, and so far feel shot in the ass with it.

Hopefully the growing pains will be less painful :mad:

Regulatory approval, as far as I was thinking, was waaaay off in the future for anything over and above parity.

Oh, the requisite "first world" problem response any time someone even has a mild complaint on here.
Past performance is no guaranty of future performance - but it's often a good indicator. When I put a deposit down for an MX on the first day they took them, I didn't expect to wait 3+ years. When people bought AP1 cars they had no idea how long it might be for it to be enabled.

By the time people were ordering, and then taking delivery of AP2 vehicles there was a pretty clear track-record of aggressive estimates, and missed deadlines. Not defending Tesla at all, it's just the very observable MO - so seems like it should be expected by now.

My point about enjoying it was unlike MX, where people had to give up waiting and get something else (often an MS of course) - recent buyers have a car which is really quite amazing as a CAR, notwithstanding the missing features to come. Perhaps I'm too easily impressed but it looks great, drives great and is really fun - don't know how it got to be ordinary.