Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little interior lighting mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your detailed replies! If you muster up the energy to do it one day, I'd love to see more closeups, especially at the ends of the light runs to get an idea how they come out of the doors and into the trim. That said, your descriptions are very good, so thanks!!
I just ran out and snapped a few for you here.

IMG_0694.JPG
This is the passenger's door. Notice how there's a crease in the door trim, This is where the tail of the light strip should be pushed in, and wrapped around as neatly as possible (When you reattach the panel, it should be flush)

IMG_0695.JPG
This is the passenger corner of the dash (identical on the driver's side)

IMG_0700.JPG
See how each door it follows the trim all the way around? It sits in the the body of the car, and you CAN see it from the inside when the door is shut. You can kinda see it in the other photos. Again this is a compromise, but in my opinion, not a costly one.

EDIT: Forgot one.
IMG_0696.JPG
This is the cut end by the door handle. notice how it overhangs very slightly. I should cut it by about 1mm to make it perfectly flush, but it looks okay, and doesn't stick out enough for it to be a major noticeable imperfection.

I just ran out and snapped a few for you here.

View attachment 454030
This is the passenger's door. Notice how there's a crease in the door trim, This is where the tail of the light strip should be pushed in, and wrapped around as neatly as possible (When you reattach the panel, it should be flush)

View attachment 454031
This is the passenger corner of the dash (identical on the driver's side)

View attachment 454033
See how each door it follows the trim all the way around? It sits in the the body of the car, and you CAN see it from the inside when the door is shut. You can kinda see it in the other photos. Again this is a compromise, but in my opinion, not a costly one.

EDIT: Forgot one.
View attachment 454035
This is the cut end by the door handle. notice how it overhangs very slightly. I should cut it by about 1mm to make it perfectly flush, but it looks okay, and doesn't stick out enough for it to be a major noticeable imperfection.
If you wanted to you could plasti-dip black the parts you don't want to see at night.

Thanks again. I’m definitely gonna try this!

Last question: how did you tap into the ambient light plugs? I’ve tapped into them myself just by poking pins into the back end of the connector, which is plugged into the factory LED light but it’s hard to secure. I’m trying to avoid cutting into the factory wiring. Do you have any pictures of how you tapped into the ambient light wiring ? (if not please don’t bother taking your car apart - I have a pretty good idea of how you did it).

A better way is to use a Y cable for the power but I can’t find those anywhere, or failing that the pigtail extensions you found at Abstract Ocean could be sacrificed.

Thanks again. I’m definitely gonna try this!

Last question: how did you tap into the ambient light plugs? I’ve tapped into them myself just by poking pins into the back end of the connector, which is plugged into the factory LED light but it’s hard to secure. I’m trying to avoid cutting into the factory wiring. Do you have any pictures of how you tapped into the ambient light wiring ? (if not please don’t bother taking your car apart - I have a pretty good idea of how you did it).

A better way is to use a Y cable for the power but I can’t find those anywhere, or failing that the pigtail extensions you found at Abstract Ocean could be sacrificed.

The pigtails are actually how I spliced in. I basically treated the pigtails as If they were the direct line in the car (Because that's exactly what they are, just extensions). and when you unplug the harness that's in the door, the pigtails just get plugged in female to male, and male to female between the original wiring and the lighting harness and you're in. If you ever want to remove them, just unplug the pigtails, and reconnect the original setup :)

This is 100% non destructive. You can remove it without any evidence of it ever being installed, and you don't risk damaging ANY wiring in the process!! the pigtails were made to be sacrificed lol they weren't to extend anything, only to splice in non-destructively.

• Helpful
Reactions: CaliMS
Last question (I think) - any concerns of excessive heat (safety but also longevity) due to the sound insulation and wrapping of the transformers?

No, I tested them out to be safe. When I was insulating them, I took a “test wrap” and left it set up for 24hrs via usb, and when I checked the temp, it was only 1 degree over room temp, so they don’t generate enough heat to be a problem!!

Hey everyone!!

a few months ago, I picked up my P85D, and like many owners here, I feel like for such a high tech, and innovative car, the interior is a little underwhelming. I know minimalism is key for the design, but a piece of me just wanted a little tiny bit of flair to give it a little edge.

so this is what I did...

View attachment 452000 View attachment 451999 View attachment 452001

I wanted something subtle so I went and picked up a few EL wire kits and ran them across the trim in the dashboard and doors. This was insanely easy, and after learning where things were, and getting things fished through, they can be installed/uninstalled in under 30 minutes. The best part is just how OEM they look. They are a dim white and have a very soft glow, so it’s not distracting or overbearing. They are linked into the premium lighting, so they can be controlled with the display. Lowering the brightness dims them, and turning off ambient lights turns them off.

every single person who has sat in the car comments on “how cool the trim lights in Teslas are” only to be surprised when I tell them it’s not a standard thing.

I know not everyone will like them, or think they are “cool” but if there’s someone out there that also wants to spice up the interior in a subtle way, this is an awesome (and cheap) option. Overall, the parts needed to do this are ~$50 for all 4 doors, the dashboard and the tools to do it (basic ratchet set and panel pullers)

oh, and during the day, they blend so well with the trim that they are almost invisible. There’s a very feint coppery-gold filament inside the wire that’s visible, but it’s undetectable unless you’re close and looking for it. It’s quite satisfying driving through a tunnel and seeing them pop on out of nowhere.

and I know I need to vacuum the car...idk how but sand just finds it’s way in no matter where I go lol.

cheers!!

A few people have expressed interest so here is a part list and write up on how to do this.

The lights: Flexible Neon LED Light Glow EL Wire String Strip Rope Tube Car Garden Outdoor | eBay

4x 2m 12V inverter
1x 3m 12 Inverter
Color: White

(YOU CAN GET ANY COLOR YOU WANT, BUT WHITE IS THE MOST FACTORY LOOKING)

These are the exact ones i purchased, but when i bought them, they were only $5 per 2m rope...so the prices have gone up for this vendor. Most of these kits are the same, so if you're feeling adventurous, you can definitely find them cheaper. You're going to want the 12V inverter kit. It comes with a little black box, and two open wires to splice into the accessory line in the door panel so it will work with the ambient lights.

Optional:

Extension pigtails: Extension cables ('pig tails') - one pair

These were important for me, but not NEEDED in the installation. They accomplish two objectives here.
1: Working in the door can be very cramped, and trying to splice into the existing wires can be a headache since there isn't a lot of slack, or room to work. These allow you to do all the electrical splicing outside the car, at a table or workbench. Then you can just connect them to the existing harness for a seamless install.

2: They make the install removable in an instant. If for any reason a light strip gets damaged, or goes bad, you can simple disconnect it, and re-attach a new one with NO more splicing. It also preserves the integrity of the original hardware, which can help if you're getting service done, and you're paranoid like i am about them saying something. Simply remove the modded bit, and re-plug the original and you're good to go.

Insulation

I don't have a link for this, because there are a lot of options to consider. You see, since these are 12v inverter boxes made in China, they are not of the highest quality, and as such they make a very irritating high pitch whine. It's not super loud, but it's definitely noticeable if you don't take steps to silence them. (Especially when there's 5 of them in the car) Here's what i did.

I picked up some fireproof, soundproof insulation from Lowes, and a rag. I made a little pouch and tape wrapped the transformer box nice and tight. This added a lot of bulk to the box, but it practically eliminated the whine.

Here's what some others have done:

If you break apart the transformer, you can seal the capacitor in glue, which helps deaden the whine.
You can also cover the whole thing in layers of glue (I don't think it's worth the mess)
I have also heard of people building these from scratch with much higher quality parts (Way outside my skill level)

I tell you this now, because if you're considering the install, the first time you put these in, it will probably take a little while. Getting into the door is easy, but wiring, and testing, and realizing you accidentally swapped the polarity, and having to go back, then forgetting to reconnect the harness...trust me...it's going to happen lol. The last thing you want to do after all that is go out, and sit in your new futuristic spaceship mobile, and hear this feint whine eeeeeking away at your soul. The satisfaction after insulating these is well worth the extra step.

The actual install.

If you haven't been inside the door, it's extremely easy to get in. There are how-tos here that were super helpful for me.

Once you're inside the door, you can opt to disconnect the cables and retaining band that you may or may not have and give yourself some more room, or (If you used the extension pigtails) you can just reach in, and pull the accessory wiring from the ambient lights in the arm rest and connect your fancy spliced one on the end. There was a remarkably small number of wires inside the door, so really, just find the one by the armrest and that's your ticket. It's also the same as the pigtail if you were working with it, then you'll know exactly what im talking about.

For the doors, the lights are easy to get where you want them. Find a spot to secure the transformer box (I tested out a few locations and the best ones are up top by the mirror, there's some empty space there that doesn't cause to much trouble, and in the centerline, slightly lower then halfway there's a spot where you can push in the insulation. The box can sit nicely there, but depending on how bulky your insulation job was, you may have to poke around to find a good spot for it. This is VERY important because if you secure it in a spot where it doesn't have enough space, it will prevent the door panel from being completely secured. It will give you a gap at some of the clips, and it will squeak every time you go over a bump. wrap the wire around the groove in the door panel, and make it nice and flush. You will need to be firm and patient to work the little tail into the groove, as it is very tight.

The dashboard is a little bit more complicated. I went in through the passenger's side. Remove the door sill, and the panel hiding the fuse box in the passenger foot well. SEE:
once the panels are removed, you can access the cable passthrough. and feed it through The cable passthrough is PACKED, and there is a 0% chance of getting through it, so i went around it. What i did was CAREFULLY remove one small "corner" of the rubber grommet that holds it in place, just to get enough space to force the wire through. Once it's through one end, simply push the grommet back into place (Will take some force) and do the same for the other side.
View attachment 452163 View attachment 452164

Here's a tip. Pop open the grommet, and feed a dowel, or some thick zip ties through the opening. You will see it poking through from the passenger side well by the fusebox. Tape the connector end of the light strip to the end of the dowel/zip and then pull it through. Saves a huge hassle.

Once you have passed through the door side grommet, it's time to go fishing. By the small window, there's a rubber seal that hides a hole that you can see into the case of the door. At the bottom is the cable passthrough, and if you fed the other end of the cable, your connector. It took me 20 minutes to fish it up to the top with a few zip ties. If you can get a hook on a dowel, do that because it's WAY easier. Once you get the connector up through the door, and into the panel area, you can attach your transformer and you're all set. All you have to do is run the light itself up the side by where the fuse box is, and wrap it around the dash trim. Take some time to hide any excess light, and make it as seamless as possible. Start from one and, and make it nice and flush all the way through.

You will have 2 transformers in the passenger's door, so be sure that they are placed perfectly so you don't have the panel gap on the door. I know this seems like a lot, but really it's just a lot of patience and unfortunately trial and error. The spots that worked for me, may not for you, and my trim may have been a bit looser, or tighter than yours will be, so working the lights into the trim may be more or less work. I found that starting at one end, and "massaging" it into place worked best. In some areas i actually needed to pry a bit to make them set better.

Since these lights are not super bright, their shape is VERY showing of imperfections and kinks. It's painfully obvious if it's not seated evenly, or if there's any bends. If you ever look up EL wire lighting in a car... it's almost 100% of the time an obnoxious outline of an entire piece, making a box outline (Which i hate) and it always looks like it was hand drawn with all the kinks and imperfections. Take your time, and you will have a SMOOTH, EVEN, and FACTORY looking effect.

I also realize that i wrote a damn book. If there's any questions, or anything that needs more explaining, please let me know. I have no problem taking pictures, or maybe make a video on this install if it would help y'all out. :)

I can't wait to see if y'all go for this, and how it looks!!!

This may be a stupid question but how exactly did you splice the wires into the accessory line? I'm going to try and do this on my model X. Do you have a photo or maybe a video that shows this? I'm a noob at this so I'm trying to learn!

Reactions: Joesage
If by chance you're up to doing a 2nd install once you get yours done, I'd be happy to meetup in the LA area and pay you for your services! Let me know and I can PM you.

Very cool OP!
Im having a friend do it but I'll let ya know when it's done. You should order the lights in the meantime. add 2 1meter lengths to the OP list

Thanks for sharing your ideas and tips for this mod . I've caught the modding bug after fitting a Chromecast and the hdmi interface box on mine.

After removing a fair bit of trim to do that I've gained some confidence in the modding department.

Looking forward to giving this one a go for my self .

Reactions: Duke-U