TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A little late on the introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sylvia, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Lexington, TN
    I guess my story goes back to 1999 when I saw a commercial for the original Honda Insight hybrid. I bought mine in Feb 2000, when I totaled the car in Sept 2001 I had averaged 72.9 mpg over 48K miles. I bought a second Insight immediately. That car finally died in Feb 2015 with 280K miles on it, though I had only averaged 56 mpg in that car. I always said I wasn't going to go backwards in fuel mileage.

I had been wanting a Tesla since the Roadster first came out. I had planned to order a new Tesla in Dec 2014, pick it up in Feb 2015 at the factory and drive back along Route 66. But due to some decisions with rental properties I was not ready to order in Dec, and when the Insight died in Feb, I wasn't ready to purchase a Tesla so I wound up going backwards.

With the Supercharger policy change that was originally announced in Nov 2016, I decided it was then or never (glad to see the changes to the policy right now). But I wanted a certain color (silver or pearl white) and a certain price range, so no new car. I also needed at least an 85 KW battery. I found one located in California that met all my wants, now just had to figure out how to get it.

I decided to pick the car up in Vegas in January and drive back to TN along much of Route 66. It was a fantastic trip, my mom and niece came with me. A stop at the Hoover Dam, drive from Needles, CA to Kingman, AZ through Oatman, AZ, stop at the Grand Canyon. Mostly Superchargers used, a couple destination chargers at hotels, and a 30 minute stop in middle of MS due to the detour around the "black hole" of Arkansas (glad to see a Supercharger in Little Rock now). All in all, we left Vegas Tues morning and pulled into Lexington, TN Friday evening, I dropped my family back off in OH on Sat, and was in DC on Sunday not bad for a nearly 3K mile trip.

About Sylvia, she's a 2014 silver S85. I drive a lot, so in the 5 1/2 months that she has been with me I've put an additional 32K miles on her. Makes me wonder how many miles the highest mileage Model S has. In a few years if I keep up this 60-70K miles a year that I'm currently running towards with Sylvia and did last year with my former car, I just may be pushing 500K by the time I reach the end of the battery warranty.
    • Like x 2