Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little light and the end of the tunnel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
I just received this email from my Republican Congressman:

header_buchanan.jpg

Big Oil continues to enjoy record profits as high gas prices victimize Florida families. It's essential that Washington enacts a comprehensive, balanced plan to reduce gas prices -- and we can start by holding the oil industry accountable.

In the last month, the price of gasoline in Florida has risen 35 cents to an average of nearly four dollars per gallon. Yet big oil continues to rake in windfall profits -- Exxon Mobil reporting $16 billion in the last quarter alone. In fact, Floridians spend almost 8% of their income on gas.

The last thing we should be doing is throwing taxpayer dollars at an industry that doesn’t need our help. That’s why I voted to eliminate $18 billion in wasteful and unnecessary tax subsidies for Big Oil. Specifically, the measure I supported ensures oil companies pay royalties, closes loopholes and ends giveaways in the tax code for the oil industry. I was one of only a handful of Republicans to support this measure.

Getting Americans back to work is my highest priority, and we can start by making sure they can afford to drive. I will continue to fight for common-sense and bipartisan solutions to get our economy back on track.

As always, please let me know what you think.

Vern

My response:

Dear Congressman Buchanan,

A few months ago I met you at the Sarasota Yacht Club when the Tesla Model S electric vehicle was on display. I shook your hand and asked you whether we could count on your support of electric vehicles. You very diplomatically responded that you supported all kinds of vehicles.

I find your actions in support of stopping tax subsidies for Big Oil extremely courageous. In particular as a Republican it shows that you are an independent thinker more interested bipartisan efforts aimed at helping the American people rather than seeking political advantage. As you point out this industry does not need help.

However, I am in favor of government incentives and subsidies to other struggling industries in support of energy independence. It is disappointing that in the Sunshine State we are not doing more to help pursue solar initiatives. In my own small way I hope to help since I purchased a Model S. Like you Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla showed great courage. In his case he gambled his personal wealth in pursuit of building an American electric car company. I believe that the DoE loan that Tesla received will pay dividends and will greatly benefit the country by demonstrating that American ingenuity is alive and well and that fossil fuels are simply too valuable a strategic resource to be burned in cars.

Thanks for your efforts.

Sincerely,

Lawrence Chanin

Hi Larry,

I received the same mail, Rep. Buchanan should be congratulated for simply going against the tide, but nevertheless my reaction was a little more cynical than yours. A big part of the Congressman's argument is that we need lower gas prices, and his primary personal income generator is.......his business "Sarasota Ford" :rolleyes:

Hi Larry,

I received the same mail, Rep. Buchanan should be congratulated for simply going against the tide, but nevertheless my reaction was a little more cynical than yours. A big part of the Congressman's argument is that we need lower gas prices, and his primary personal income generator is.......his business "Sarasota Ford" :rolleyes:

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I know, but nevertheless its still light at the end of the tunnel.

Perhaps next year we can get him to bring a few of Ford's EVs in our Sarasota Plug In America Day. :wink:

Larry

Excellent response Larry! And way to hold him accountable to your conversation.

We should all write our congress men and women, on both sides of the isle, from a business/jobs perspective, return on loan perspective, oil independence, prompting new technology and new industry here, and from a clean CO2 stand point as well. Larry's letter is a great foundation. If we had just 10 letters per state, the voice would begin to resonate.