TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A little light and the end of the tunnel?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Larry Chanin, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

I just received this email from my Republican Congressman:

header_buchanan.jpg

My response:

Dear Congressman Buchanan,

A few months ago I met you at the Sarasota Yacht Club when the Tesla Model S electric vehicle was on display. I shook your hand and asked you whether we could count on your support of electric vehicles. You very diplomatically responded that you supported all kinds of vehicles.

I find your actions in support of stopping tax subsidies for Big Oil extremely courageous. In particular as a Republican it shows that you are an independent thinker more interested bipartisan efforts aimed at helping the American people rather than seeking political advantage. As you point out this industry does not need help.

However, I am in favor of government incentives and subsidies to other struggling industries in support of energy independence. It is disappointing that in the Sunshine State we are not doing more to help pursue solar initiatives. In my own small way I hope to help since I purchased a Model S. Like you Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla showed great courage. In his case he gambled his personal wealth in pursuit of building an American electric car company. I believe that the DoE loan that Tesla received will pay dividends and will greatly benefit the country by demonstrating that American ingenuity is alive and well and that fossil fuels are simply too valuable a strategic resource to be burned in cars.

Thanks for your efforts.

Sincerely,

Lawrence Chanin

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Hi Larry,

I received the same mail, Rep. Buchanan should be congratulated for simply going against the tide, but nevertheless my reaction was a little more cynical than yours. A big part of the Congressman's argument is that we need lower gas prices, and his primary personal income generator is.......his business "Sarasota Ford" :rolleyes:

3. Larry Chanin

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I know, but nevertheless its still light at the end of the tunnel.

Perhaps next year we can get him to bring a few of Ford's EVs in our Sarasota Plug In America Day. :wink:

Larry

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Who's this "Lawrence" guy? ;)

5. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Excellent response Larry! And way to hold him accountable to your conversation.

We should all write our congress men and women, on both sides of the isle, from a business/jobs perspective, return on loan perspective, oil independence, prompting new technology and new industry here, and from a clean CO2 stand point as well. Larry's letter is a great foundation. If we had just 10 letters per state, the voice would begin to resonate.

6. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Isn't he that dude from Arabia?

7. Larry Chanin

Well, if it isn't that famous comedy team, Brian, and Brian! :p:wink:

Larry, aka Lawrence