Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Little Miffed at Tesla (venting)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To start, I originally ordered the car with the clear bra Tesla installs, but was unhappy with it. With so many rave reviews on XPEL, I decided to have my car 90% covered in XPEL Ultimate.

Anyways, during my annual service, the SvC scratched up my nose cone that actually scruffed up the chrome areas, so it wasn't an easy re-wrap of the nose cone. The SvC ordered a new nose cone for me and said they'd have it wrapped at the factory. I mentioned to them that I originally had the Tesla clear bra installed, but didn't like it and went with XPEL to cover most of my car, including nose cone. They said that they will be sure to use XPEL. A week or so later, I get a call to have the nose cone replaced, so I set up a time for the Ranger to replace the nose cone. On the installation, I noted to the Ranger that the PPF install was crappy. There were edges where the film was not adhered to the nose cone, stretch marks everywhere, and I could see jagged edges on the film, which indicated that the film was cut to fit on top of the nose cone (btw, my installer uses a laser form cutter to create the pieces so nothing is cut on the car). Anyways, the Ranger agreed it was a crappy job and vouched for me. I called up my service guy and he told me to go to my XPEL installer and have it redone and Tesla will pay for it.

Well, upon installing the XPEL, my installer noted some edges of the nose cone that were etched....by a razor blade. He continued with the PPF installation (perhaps too late to stop) and let me know of the damaged areas. I let my service guy know. Well that didn't make some folks at Tesla very happy, telling me the installer should have stopped.

Anyways, I get an email from the service guy stating that they will have a new nose cone ordered, and will make sure that the PPF installation will be done correctly at factory. Then tells me that Tesla does not endorse XPEL. So now I am worried that a) i'll get the razor marks again b) that they'll use the clear bra Tesla uses (which is not XPEL) and c) the installation will not be "invisible". Ugh!

Anyways, I get an email from the service guy stating that they will have a new nose cone ordered, and will make sure that the PPF installation will be done correctly at factory. Then tells me that Tesla does not endorse XPEL. So now I am worried that a) i'll get the razor marks again b) that they'll use the clear bra Tesla uses (which is not XPEL) and c) the installation will not be "invisible". Ugh!
1. Demand that (a) the nose cone be sent directly to your Xpel installer and (b) that they reimburse your installer for services rendered after the work is done.
2. If you don't get a satisfactory response, play the Jerome card.

Bummer, man.

1. Demand that (a) the nose cone be sent directly to your Xpel installer and (b) that they reimburse your installer for services rendered after the work is done.
2. If you don't get a satisfactory response, play the Jerome card.

Bummer, man.

I did. I wanted my installer to do the installation and not have to worry that it will come back crappy again. The service guy replied stating that they cannot send the nose cone to my installer because he is not on their approved list of PPF installers. So they will have someone approved at the factory do it. Service guy said that he will personally inspect the nose cone when he receives it to ensure its quality (i guess he didn't do this the first time)...

I did. I wanted my installer to do the installation and not have to worry that it will come back crappy again. The service guy replied stating that they cannot send the nose cone to my installer because he is not on their approved list of PPF installers. So they will have someone approved at the factory do it. Service guy said that he will personally inspect the nose cone when he receives it to ensure its quality (i guess he didn't do this the first time)...
I'd still go to Jerome in your shoes. Tesla had more than one shot to get this right and they've already mis-stepped twice.