Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little Northeast Oklahoma Camping in the X Last Weekend...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't feel like there are enough Model X camping / road trip threads, so I am going to start making some!

This was last weekend near Lake Eufaula (the KOA along I-40). Two in the X and one in the tent each night. The weather was outstanding; the only issue we had was road noise (not a problem in the X, but a little much in the tent).

Would love to see others' adventures in their X's!

Cheers,
Wreighven

Attachments

• IMG_4899.jpeg
    IMG_4899.jpeg
    1,006 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4898.jpeg
    IMG_4898.jpeg
    931.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4908.jpeg
    IMG_4908.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 187
I agree. I'm intrigued by the idea of car camping with an X--especially solo or couples camping. Really be interested in seeing a really good mattress solution somewhere between a Dream Case and a Single inflatable mattress. I'm wondering if a 4 inch memory foam topper custom cut to fit would work. Anyway I hope the thread catches on. Camping should be simple and comfortable--both elusive goals.

Reactions: wreighven
I agree. I'm intrigued by the idea of car camping with an X--especially solo or couples camping. Really be interested in seeing a really good mattress solution somewhere between a Dream Case and a Single inflatable mattress. I'm wondering if a 4 inch memory foam topper custom cut to fit would work. Anyway I hope the thread catches on. Camping should be simple and comfortable--both elusive goals.
@Big John thanks for the reply. Agreed on the mattress bit; what we're using right now is a cheap inflatable $60 mattress from Amazon, and I wish it was more custom shaped for the X. There is a lot more room up where the second row would be. Would love something more form fitting, that isn't $800 like the Dreamcase. It's also a bit to tall / deep (8"), which can make the sleeping quarters in the X feel a bit cramped. It's plenty comfortable though...

I’ve never wanted to camp in my Model X until recently, as it now seems a possible way to visit some family members and maintain social distancing.

I’m looking at trying this:
Milliard Tri Folding Memory Foam Mattress with Washable Cover Twin XL (78 inches x 38 inches x 6 inches) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ8HX96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UwfWEbSQQ1KDR
The dimensions look like they would be a really good fit for the 7-seater with 2nd and 3rd row flat.

There is also a separate carrying case for it:
Carry Case for Milliard Tri-Fold Mattress (6 inch Twin XL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5EOUFN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AagWEbCWW868D

My biggest concern is the slight gap between the 2nd and 3rd row seats, whether that is enough to be troublesome while sleeping.

Check out Exped sleeping pads. REI has some on sale, 25% off, right now. The ones that are not on sale if you are a member the 20% off sale is on right now for one regularly priced item.
Depending on what works best for you go with a duo model, that’s what I did. Or two single pads.
Super comfortable. I use it in the car and tent. Pricey but worth. Before the Exped I used a high quality camping sleeping pad, Nemo. Worked great too.
Not camping per se but when on long road trips I’m either taking a food break or taking a nap in the back while SuperCharging. Does that count?

Check out Exped sleeping pads. REI has some on sale, 25% off, right now. The ones that are not on sale if you are a member the 20% off sale is on right now for one regularly priced item.
Depending on what works best for you go with a duo model, that’s what I did. Or two single pads.
Super comfortable. I use it in the car and tent. Pricey but worth. Before the Exped I used a high quality camping sleeping pad, Nemo. Worked great too.
Not camping per se but when on long road trips I’m either taking a food break or taking a nap in the back while SuperCharging. Does that count?
THANK YOU for posting this @Bacalao! I was literally just looking at the Expe Duo on the REI site. Is it a good fit for the X?

THANK YOU for posting this @Bacalao! I was literally just looking at the Expe Duo on the REI site. Is it a good fit for the X?

at 52” wide it’s just a tad too wide to fit flat. But with two people sleeping in it the weight smashes it down and works just fine for me. Because each side fills up separately when I’m alone I just fill up one side. If I have time later I’ll set it up and post a photo. And yes I’m rocking a 5 seater. To quote from up above........SPACE!

at 52” wide it’s just a tad too wide to fit flat. But with two people sleeping in it the weight smashes it down and works just fine for me. Because each side fills up separately when I’m alone I just fill up one side. If I have time later I’ll set it up and post a photo. And yes I’m rocking a 5 seater. To quote from up above........SPACE!

I found it a picture that I had already taken. The model I got REI doesn't sell. Mine packs down smaller. It's a feature I need. Either one of the Duo models should fit like mine. Except both of them are thicker which is a nice thing.
I have a Synmat model. It's "only" 2.8" thick. It's way comfy. I can only imagine how much nicer the 4" and thicker versions REI is selling are. I think you will not be disappointed if you get one.
Exped.JPG

I bought the folding mattress I had mentioned in post #4. Certainly not as sleek and portable as some of the other options being mentioned but it essentially functions as a real bed. When folded in the case, it can fit behind the 2nd row seat and still allow access to the back storage. Probably too much of a space hog for family traveling, but thinking it will work great for my needs of just me or one other person. Less than $200 invested for mattress, carrying case and set of twin XL sheets.

As an added bonus, it is pretty much the right size to function as an ottoman in our game room when not being used in the car.
680B387E-C27D-4A1F-84F1-DB8F977B39A1.jpeg 4C4321E6-F996-4DC1-9E0F-D99C8796FF9F.jpeg 79954360-213A-4876-B7EB-C76CCA674F8E.jpeg