Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little worried before I order my raven X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

What an awesome forum and source of info. I have to say though it has worried me a bit reading of the quality issues. We are about to order a new Tesla X performance with ludicrous and EAP, 6 seats in white.

I have held back reading the reviews here and I have three concerns which would be awesome to get views on:

1. Quality issues - what’s happened it sounds like quality has dropped massively on the 2019 Tesla x Raven?

2. Size - a general on as I’m in the U.K. and would love to here from U.K. drivers of the X, how have you found it day to day, is it too big for the U.K.? Particularly parking and multi-storey access?

3. There have been a few recent comments on EMF and ELF - electro magnetic fields and links with cancer from EVs and the magnetic fields from the motors and when charging. Is anyone else concerned about this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I have trawled the forums and it’s hard to get specific views particularly from fellow U.K. drivers.

You gotta stop reading the forum and assuming that all the negatively here represents reality. Very few people post good things. Lots of folks have to find outlets to post bad things.

The quality hasn't dropped. There's already a lot of Model @ and X's in UK.

OMG, EMF and ELF. Are you as worried as the definitely harmful fumes from petrol?

I'm sure if I look around, I can find some links to cancer about people posting on forums.

It's NOT A PROBLEM.

Hi there,

What an awesome forum and source of info. I have to say though it has worried me a bit reading of the quality issues. We are about to order a new Tesla X performance with ludicrous and EAP, 6 seats in white.

I have held back reading the reviews here and I have three concerns which would be awesome to get views on:

1. Quality issues - what’s happened it sounds like quality has dropped massively on the 2019 Tesla x Raven?

2. Size - a general on as I’m in the U.K. and would love to here from U.K. drivers of the X, how have you found it day to day, is it too big for the U.K.? Particularly parking and multi-storey access?

3. There have been a few recent comments on EMF and ELF - electro magnetic fields and links with cancer from EVs and the magnetic fields from the motors and when charging. Is anyone else concerned about this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I have trawled the forums and it’s hard to get specific views particularly from fellow U.K. drivers.

I did look into EMF one time in past. At the time the comparison demonstrated no difference to gas cars they compared... i think it was a YouTube video. Also the point above, gas car fumes that may linger in your garage probably aren’t any better.

Hey Glassdome.

I’m a recent UK model x purchaser in london. I took a bit of a punt as I live in an apartment and have to park on a street a block away from my house so no at home parking or WiFi for that matter.

Regarding you points:

1. I’ve had no quality issues, although I did buy an inventory vehicle so assumed these are checked quite thoroughly. I do however have the yellow screen border issue for which service have told me a tool is coming and will send a mobile repair to me when available. Otherwise has been completely reliable over the last 6 months and fit and finish are pretty good - nothing like the Bentley continental that I had before, but the entire proposition of the car is that different that I don’t notice.

2. Size. Or should I say width. I didn’t realise how wide it was when I purchased it, had I known I probably would have thought twice - but then I would have missed out on all the fun of owning it. But to answer your point properly, in general driving and on street parking, it’s not really noticeable. Car parks are mostly fine, but I really had to go to slow at the Canary Wharf supercharger car parking as it’s very tight and many soho car parks I wouldn’t even attempt. But big ones like shopping centres and airports are absolutely no problem.

The real issue is the multitude of 6’6” & 7’ width restrictions in london and probably the uk in general. It simply will not fit. That means when you find one of these on a route you have to do a u turn and look for another way around. Quite embarrassing for example when you’re with passengers and realise you can’t take the rotherhithe tunnel!

But for the way I use a car which is just for meeting and a bit of fun commuting to my place in the country it works fine and you quickly learn the ones near you to avoid.

Only positive on the width is that you can fit a proper double mattress in the back and go camping (with full climate control) if you so wish.

3. That’s a real personal belief system.

If you can wait for the Y you probably should - but I didn’t want to as I’m not sure I’ll like the look anyway.

All the best, hope that’s helped a little.

Attachments

• 2897893C-3FC5-42AC-92FC-D34E747FB763.jpeg
    2897893C-3FC5-42AC-92FC-D34E747FB763.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 135
  • B85A9320-A1F9-4C48-ADE4-FF6F38041C7B.jpeg
    B85A9320-A1F9-4C48-ADE4-FF6F38041C7B.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 110
Thanks all, massively appreciated. The comments are hugely helpful. I think on (3) it’s scaremongering and I am siding with the view that it’s safe and certainly lesser of the two evils between electric and gas.

On size, it’s a shame it’s not two inches narrower. We have a couple of 6’6” restrictions near us. I had hoped it might fit but am assuming it doesn’t. Does the navigation in the Tesla have a feature to avoid these?

On parking, sounds like it’s okay too but hopefully it won’t mean more parking dings. Anyone experienced a number of parking dents in the X resulting from its size?

Thanks so much and such awesome help in our decision to buy.

I would beg to differ. Having purchased a new 2019 Model X earlier this year, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired (body panel alignment, bent hood, drooping bumper cover). More so, customer service is horrendous at nearly all levels through my purchase. It was literally me doing their job for them in terms of communication and setting expectations. That said, I am still happy with the overall car itself in terms of performance, practicality (for a young growing family), and cost savings compared to gas, and time savings (carpool lane access).

Reactions: BulldogsRus
You gotta stop reading the forum and assuming that all the negatively here represents reality. Very few people post good things. Lots of folks have to find outlets to post bad things.

The quality hasn't dropped. There's already a lot of Model @ and X's in UK.

OMG, EMF and ELF. Are you as worried as the definitely harmful fumes from petrol?

I'm sure if I look around, I can find some links to cancer about people posting on forums.

It's NOT A PROBLEM.

Yes, this! Don’t trust the negative opinions and experiences, buy it!

It will be like that one time you bought the two-star product on Amazon, despite the reviews, only for one thousand times more money.

Think you’re right. We’re likely to bite the bullet and get a Raven X. It’s just the size concern now as we’re in the U.K. and it’s a big vehicle. Not worried about roads other than 6’6” restrictions.

More concerned about parking and parking dings. Does it stick out massively when parallel parking? Fit in UK spaces without being right up against the neighbouring cars? Etc?

Regular size parking spaces are no problem at all, doesn’t stick out much, it’s only a few inches bigger than a Range Rover or gwagon, haven’t had any parking dings. Think it’s size possibly makes people more careful just by the fact they’re more aware it’s there.

the only place the extra few inches width over other large car really matters is that it categorically will not go through a 6,6” width restrictions and some multi story car park curbs. You might get it through a 7’ restriction, but I would probably curb my wheels. In london this is kinda a pain as I said before, there are several major river crossing you can’t use, batteries bridge, rotherhithe tunnel etc.

but everything else about the car is super fun so if you like it go for it and just factor in a few hundred pounds for alloy refurb after first year ownership :)

Ordered a performance with ludicrous in white, with white and carbon interior. Stuck to the standard 20”s as they’ll likely get curbed as we get used to the size. I was disappointed that I can’t get the 20” in carbon or black as that’s what we really wanted but seems to be discontinued.

I guess the only other thing is if they do an interior refresh, but it’s not guaranteed and perhaps the current interior maybe better. Soon joining the Tesla family . Thanks for all the reps Kara and advice.

Ordered a performance with ludicrous in white, with white and carbon interior. Stuck to the standard 20”s as they’ll likely get curbed as we get used to the size. I was disappointed that I can’t get the 20” in carbon or black as that’s what we really wanted but seems to be discontinued.

I guess the only other thing is if they do an interior refresh, but it’s not guaranteed and perhaps the current interior maybe better. Soon joining the Tesla family . Thanks for all the reps Kara and advice.

That should have read.. thanks for all the replies and advice

The other question I should have asked was regarding FSD. I have added it, but may remove it and save the money. I understand can be added later. Or do people think it’s more cost effective to do when initially ordering?

I ordered a new MXP that will be delivered by the end of this week... I opted to not have FSD on it. I will be trading in a 2018 MX75D which had EAP (and FSD purchased when it was $2k), so I would miss out on some FSD features I was used to. However, my approach is far more simple. Don't buy FSD when you order... but order it once you get your vehicle by using your Credit Card and get the points! That's what I plan to do.

Hi there,

I've been driving an X since early 2018 and now covered 25k miles without any issues. To address your concerns:-

1. Quality has been fine, just a few very minor issues on build. Mine is a Feb 2018 car.

2. It's a big, wide beast of a car. Parking can be challenging, but no worse than any other large SUV so depends what you are coming from and where you are parking. I avoid any tight spaces.

3. Are you as super health conscious about much more obvious cancer risks like smoking, drinking, obesity, air pollution? If so then I guess it's a fair question, otherwise I really wouldn't worry about it. Personally I haven't given EMF any thought whatsoever, but I do take my health very seriously.