TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A Look Into The Future - Tesla Bums

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Evbwcaer, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

With Supercharging free forever, aluminum construction, and almost no maintenance required, will Tesla enable a whole new generation of vagabond/hobo/tramp/bum?

Imagine in 20 years you can buy a trashed Model S for $5,000, 2034 money. If you wanted to be a modern hippie you could make a bed in the back of a Model S, store your stuff in the frunk, and camp in climate controlled comfort. It is kind of a funny thought, but it could really happen.
    The only consistent cost would be insurance, which would be low by then and a lot of people don't buy it anyway.

Will the Model S replace the VW Bus?

Will Superchargers have groups of bums (I actually use that term with some level of envy) that set up camp nearby?

Another question is what finally takes a Model S off the road. The electric drive, aluminum construction and free Supercharging forever makes me think that a 2014 Model S could realistically be on the road 50 years from now serving as a daily driver.

2. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

Ok, now this is some out-of-the-box thinking! I like it. How about a science fiction short story about the Tesla camp bums? It can be the post cyber punk version.

3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

More like the Model X replaces the VW Microbus.

Model S more for the Lone Wolf vagabonds.

4. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I posted this very same concern in the Charging Standards & Infrastructure forum: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/31598-Sociology-and-the-Supercharger-Nomad

I call this potential group of people "Supercharger Nomads":

The obvious problem is that the Supercharger stations become congested with numerous Nomad vehicles, and that other people won't be able to easily use them for long-distance travel. In 20-30 years, this may not be an issue of Supercharging technology becomes so ubiquitous that one can find 3rd party charging stations like a ChargePoint that requires payment. There's just no way to know what exactly will happen, but I hope that Tesla has some contingency plan.

As to what takes a Model S off the road: Severe accidents that damage the frame beyond repair. Aluminum can also develop stress cracks (aircraft come to mind), but I don't know how many decades of driving it would take to damage a Model S frame. Availability of compatible electronics could be an issue, although it's inevitable that people will use salvage parts for repair, or even retrofit new powertrain control systems into old frames.

Batteries are also a limiting factor as they don't last forever. However, I expect that if EVs go mainstream and Gigafactories become as common a chip fabs, there will be a 3rd party industry in selling refurb packs at a reasonable price.

5. Lump

Lump Active Member

Will there be a need for Superchargers in 30 years, won't a Tesla have a range of over 1500 miles by then :tongue: ?

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

I can see a remake of Mad Max featuring an armored Model S....

7. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Don't you there is a significant number of buyers that regularly drive from LA to NYC and from Vancouver to Buenos Aires?

8. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

20-30 years? I'm selling everything, getting a model x and doing that NEXT year!