Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A lot of questions, don't know where to start.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm almost ready to turn off the FSD before I get myself and someone else killed. It's doing things that has gotten me close to a major accident. The material I found is a great deal of reading, without much help.

I long for a regular adaptive cruise control, but I can't find any options.

Here are just some of the problems:

If you want to use the cruise, but do not activate the FSD, the software that was in FSD ready mode, switches to the Autonomous mode as if it's another system altogether. If I'm on a 45 MPH road, the FSD knows it's 45, but when it switches to the Autonomous, it thinks it's in a 25 MPH road and decelerates hard, if some is close behind, they start blowing the horn.

Under either autonomous or FSD, it's driving like a 16-year-old with a two-week learner's permit. I drive a major highway several times a week (60 MPH). Under FSD, it will change lanes on an open road, with no reason (yes, I had set that it needed to ask first), once it started changing lanes in front of a car speeding down the left lane, I forced the wheel back, but it scared the hell out of the guy bearing down on me. He slowed down and looked at me as if I had my head of my ass. Under both FSD and Autonomous, it is hesitating, quite a lot, just irritating, and few times will start breaking on an open road. Once when I was alone on that road, I let it break to see how far down it would go. I finally had to give it the pedal when I reached 40 MPH, it was still going down and, I believe would have stopped altogether.

I'm working harder at driving with all the automatic functions that should be making it easier.

I get the feeling the MX owners are out in the cold. The attention is on the MY and M3, maybe I'm wrong. These are only two of several questions I wish I had answers too.

And BTW: what happened to my DRLs, I know I had them when I purchased the car, but just discovered they aren't coming on??? They are an important safety feature I've had on my cars since 1997

j

Last edited:
I'm almost ready to turn off the FSD before I get myself and someone else killed. It's doing things that has gotten me close to a major accident. The material I found is a great deal of reading, without much help.

I long for a regular adaptive cruise control, but I can't find any options.

Here are just some of the problems:

If you want to use the cruise, but do not activate the FSD, the software that was in FSD ready mode, switches to the Autonomous mode as if it's another system altogether. If I'm on a 45 MPH road, the FSD knows it's 45, but when it switches to the Autonomous, it thinks it's in a 25 MPH road and decelerates hard, if some is close behind, they start blowing the horn.

Under either autonomous or FSD, it's driving like a 16-year-old with a two-week learner's permit. I drive a major highway several times a week (60 MPH). Under FSD, it will change lanes on an open road, with no reason (yes, I had set that it needed to ask first), once it started changing lanes in front of a car speeding down the left lane, I forced the wheel back, but it scared the hell out of the guy bearing down on me. He slowed down and looked at me as if I had my head of my ass. Under both FSD and Autonomous, it is hesitating, quite a lot, just irritating, and few times will start breaking on an open road. Once when I was alone on that road, I let it break to see how far down it would go. I finally had to give it the pedal when I reached 40 MPH, it was still going down and, I believe would have stopped altogether.

I'm working harder at driving with all the automatic functions that should be making it easier.

I get the feeling the MX owners are out in the cold. The attention is on the MY and M3, maybe I'm wrong. These are only two of several questions I wish I had answers too.

And BTW: what happened to my DRLs, I know I had them when I purchased the car, but just discovered they aren't coming on??? They are an important safety feature I've had on my cars since 1997

j
It would help if you tell us what kind of car this is, year and model and the software rev you are on.

@Jarends, could you define some of the terminology you are using? I am not sure what you mean by autonomous, and whether you are in the FSD Beta program? And what is DRL?

Since early 2019, all Tesla’s have adaptive cruise control, activated by one click. A second click will activate some form of autopilot that depends on the car vintage, what has been purchased, what settings you have selected, and what roads you are on.

I have both a model X and a model 3, both have FSD Beta, and both behave very similarly. In the “city streets” mode, yes they try spectacularly stupid things sometimes. On restricted access highways, their performance is near flawless.

• Funny
Reactions: Boston_Pilot
sorry for being somewhat vague, I was just ranting after a stressful drive.
2019 MX, long range, FSD. I joined the beta program and assumed I'm part of it.
Autonomous = Autopilot. My mistake.
DRL = Daytime Running Lights, I really need to get them turned back on.

Attached is the info on software.

I have FSD enabled. I am aware that when you double click, in this case, you will enter FSD.
When FSD was not enabled, I had the two blue lane indicators showing me I was in Autopilot. I changed lanes by using the directionals.
There are times, (and I don't know what determines it), when I double click, it will either go into Autopilot (double blue lane indictors) or FSD (single blue line vehicle direction indicator).
I have the enhanced color screen active, during normal driving this screen is displayed. Here is my first problem, I can't be the only one.
On a 45 MPH road, if I engage cruise control, (one click), for a brief second or so, the FSD enhanced color screen indicates cruise is in control with the correct MPH displayed. However, it then immediately changes to the two-line, Autopilot display, showing the MPH at 25 MPH. I have to maintain the pedal until the screen changes and click up to set the speed I desire.

Bigriver: I have rarely used FSD on local roads, but the few times I have, it performed as expected which is quite amazing. I seem to have more problems on the highways, When I drive between Charlotte and Raliegh, (usually 65 to 70 MPH) I have less problems as when I drive on some of the local highways (55 to 60 MPH). On Sunday, I was on a 65MPH highway, no cars anywhere near me, just past an exit ramp, and the car suddenly decelerates. This is the one I decided to see how far it would go, and had to intervene when it reached 40 MPH.

I once passed a Tesla M3 with a bumper sticker that said, "stay back subject to sudden breaking."

And thanks for all the replies.
J

Attachments

• 2022-10-10 11.09.34.jpg
    2022-10-10 11.09.34.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 161
It's doing things that has gotten me close to a major accident.

You aren't alone. There's dozens of videos out there of FSD jerking the wheel into the path of oncoming traffic. Quite a few people have also posted about turning FSD off and going back to the normal firmware releases.

switches to the Autonomous mode as if it's another system altogether.

They are separate systems. I've filed several bugs with Tesla about the transition from one system to the other, and how poorly that transition works. Getting off a highway on autopilot, when FSD enables on the offramp it sets the speed limit to the highway speed limit, which results in FSD attempting to speed up to highway speeds just before sharp turns on cloverleaf exits. They still haven't resolved this issue and with winter coming I suspect we're going to see some folks off the road with this one.

it's driving like a 16-year-old with a two-week learner's permit.

The difference is the a 16-year-old has a sense of self preservation and usually doesn't do something that will blatantly kill them. AP and FSD have no such feature.

Under FSD, it will change lanes on an open road, with no reason

This actually sounds like Navigate on Autopilot to me? Do you see the red and yellow lines marking the road edges, or just the normal dashed lane markings and light gray lines?

once it started changing lanes in front of a car speeding down the left lane,

Navigate on Autopilot is extremely bad about judging closing speed with vehicles approaching from the rear, so this is one of those things you need to be EXTREMELY careful about. This is why I left NoAP lane changes in confirm mode for so long. It checks immediate lane occupancy, or vehicles that are extremely close to being in the way for a lane change. Other than that, you're on your own to check the mirrors.

I believe would have stopped altogether.

I've actually noticed this getting worse, and happening in places it never happened before. The other day I had to hold the accelerator pedal for easily half a mile because if I let it up, it would slow to 30 or 40 MPH on an interstate highway. Which is actually illegal where I'm located, since the minimum posted speed on that particular road is 45 MPH.

Jarends my experience is the single blue line only appears on divided highways and the two blue lane markers on undivided.

The double blue lines is autopilot, the single blue line is navigate on autopilot, the single blue line with the red and yellow fuzzy lines marking the road edge is FSD.

Reactions: GalacticHero
Sadly, I think many if not all of us at some point have seen all these examples..

Coming to a stop at a red light, and then PROCEDING or trying to at least though is that one I can’t shake as a total fail and putting the driver at risk.

I’ve seen more of the random slow downs though recently as well, just on my main city street here the car will try to come to a complete stop, not 20 or 30 mph, but 10-15 in a 35. Even when there is NOTHING THERE,, no crosswalk, no cars, no pedestrians, nothing. Just me an my psychotic M3

I will say though, I’ve driven pre-release test mules for many years before for other manufacturers, so I’m coming at it all with a perspective that the UNEXPECTED should always BE expected just in case.

A few things. You can easily set a profile with FSD Beta turned off, and another profile with FSD Beta turned on. If you are driving in city streets and want to help train the Beta, Use the Beta profile, if you are driving highways, it's probably best to use the non Beta software (it will likely get better over time, give it a try periodically).
While in Beta it ignores your "confirm lane changes" option unfortunately.

If you see color on the highway screen you are in Beta. If it's just Black and White and Blue lines you are in AP/NoA. If you see a straight blue line in a B/W screen you are on NoA.

Reactions: Bigriver
There is no regular cruise control - adaptive or otherwise. I have AP disabled (FSD is a joke as you have discovered - at least 10 more years to be usable) but the TACC (adaptive cruise control) still uses AP code to do its thing. It is horrible. I get phantom braking regularly - either for obstacles it thinks are there, or for a car merging into the lane next to me, or for a curve that it thinks is too sharp for the speed. Also, when it slows for a curve it does it as the car is turning in. If you know anything about vehicle dynamics, this is exactly the worst place for the car to decelerate.

I do wish that there was a menu option to go back to a "dumb" cruise control where it just holds the speed no matter what. I am a much better driver than AP/FSD (I have a friend w/ a MY with FSD and it has tried to kill me while in the car with them - absolute garbage).

A few things. You can easily set a profile with FSD Beta turned off, and another profile with FSD Beta turned on. If you are driving in city streets and want to help train the Beta, Use the Beta profile, if you are driving highways, it's probably best to use the non Beta software (it will likely get better over time, give it a try periodically).
While in Beta it ignores your "confirm lane changes" option unfortunately.

If you see color on the highway screen you are in Beta. If it's just Black and White and Blue lines you are in AP/NoA. If you see a straight blue line in a B/W screen you are on NoA.
Further, if you want the simpler version with just TACC and lane keeping, do not set a destination. It will only initiate turns if it is navigating to a destination. With no destination set it will still honor traffic signals and the like. Simpler still, set TACC with no autosteer, it still honors traffic control devices.

I am anxiously awaiting the ability to choose routes on the screen (presumably on some “coming soon“ release).

Sadly, I think many if not all of us at some point have seen all these examples..

Coming to a stop at a red light, and then PROCEDING or trying to at least though is that one I can’t shake as a total fail and putting the driver at risk.

I’ve seen more of the random slow downs though recently as well, just on my main city street here the car will try to come to a complete stop, not 20 or 30 mph, but 10-15 in a 35. Even when there is NOTHING THERE,, no crosswalk, no cars, no pedestrians, nothing. Just me an my psychotic M3

I will say though, I’ve driven pre-release test mules for many years before for other manufacturers, so I’m coming at it all with a perspective that the UNEXPECTED should always BE expected just in case.
No kidding! It really shocked me when it tried to go after stopping at a red.

You aren't alone. There's dozens of videos out there of FSD jerking the wheel into the path of oncoming traffic. Quite a few people have also posted about turning FSD off and going back to the normal firmware releases.

They are separate systems. I've filed several bugs with Tesla about the transition from one system to the other, and how poorly that transition works. Getting off a highway on autopilot, when FSD enables on the offramp it sets the speed limit to the highway speed limit, which results in FSD attempting to speed up to highway speeds just before sharp turns on cloverleaf exits. They still haven't resolved this issue and with winter coming I suspect we're going to see some folks off the road with this one.

The difference is the a 16-year-old has a sense of self preservation and usually doesn't do something that will blatantly kill them. AP and FSD have no such feature.

This actually sounds like Navigate on Autopilot to me? Do you see the red and yellow lines marking the road edges, or just the normal dashed lane markings and light gray lines?

Navigate on Autopilot is extremely bad about judging closing speed with vehicles approaching from the rear, so this is one of those things you need to be EXTREMELY careful about. This is why I left NoAP lane changes in confirm mode for so long. It checks immediate lane occupancy, or vehicles that are extremely close to being in the way for a lane change. Other than that, you're on your own to check the mirrors.

I've actually noticed this getting worse, and happening in places it never happened before. The other day I had to hold the accelerator pedal for easily half a mile because if I let it up, it would slow to 30 or 40 MPH on an interstate highway. Which is actually illegal where I'm located, since the minimum posted speed on that particular road is 45 MPH.

The double blue lines is autopilot, the single blue line is navigate on autopilot, the single blue line with the red and yellow fuzzy lines marking the road edge is FSD.
Dr Dabbles
At least I'm not alone... In Autopilot I have to indicate the lane change. All the sudden lane changes the car made were done in FSD.

There is no regular cruise control - adaptive or otherwise. I have AP disabled (FSD is a joke as you have discovered - at least 10 more years to be usable) but the TACC (adaptive cruise control) still uses AP code to do its thing. It is horrible. I get phantom braking regularly - either for obstacles it thinks are there, or for a car merging into the lane next to me, or for a curve that it thinks is too sharp for the speed. Also, when it slows for a curve it does it as the car is turning in. If you know anything about vehicle dynamics, this is exactly the worst place for the car to decelerate.

I do wish that there was a menu option to go back to a "dumb" cruise control where it just holds the speed no matter what. I am a much better driver than AP/FSD (I have a friend w/ a MY with FSD and it has tried to kill me while in the car with them - absolute garbage).
Exactly, I'm trying to ride it out, but it has only made driving much more difficult, stressful, and, unfortunately, dangerous.

My 2022 MXP braked hard for no reason when it was about to go under a bridge at 50MPH with no obstacles, cars, or curves ahead, bright daylight, in the middle lane of the road. Fortunately, the car behind me was not following too close.

Autopilot phantom braking is a real issue and surely it's dangerous. And what's making it more dangerous is the inconsistency there is no way to predict when it's gonna do stupid stuff.

My 2022 MXP braked hard for no reason when it was about to go under a bridge at 50MPH with no obstacles, cars, or curves ahead, bright daylight, in the middle lane of the road. Fortunately, the car behind me was not following too close.

Autopilot phantom braking is a real issue and surely it's dangerous. And what's making it more dangerous is the inconsistency there is no way to predict when it's gonna do stupid stuff.
My 21 legacy MXP has done the same thing cornering into shade/shadows more often than in open country. It seems like this would happen across all models but this is my 1st Tesla so I can’t say f its just the X..