Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A loud crack! sound (body / panel flex) once per drive cycle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I get ONE sharp loud crack! sound when I pull out of my work parking stall and take a turn or hit a bump that puts different stresses on the chassis/body. It sounds like it's coming from the B pillar on passenger side somewhere. Crack! sound is like a stone hitting the windshield. Then... all is good for the whole drive. It may or may not happen on any given day. Trying to correlate to something.

Days are getting colder but sun still heats up pretty good .. I'm thinking this might be a thermal differential thing. Sound is coming from the side of my car facing the sun in the sky while parked all day at work... when the north side of the car is cold to touch the south side warm to touch.

When my car was new, I had creaky sounds from the big chrome door trim near the back (on both sides) which had too much flex. While driving on bumpy surfaces it would creak creak creak like white Styrofoam blocks being rubbed together, annoying. The ranger demonstrated that problem by having me sit in the car windows up, as he pushed very mildly on the chrome trim piece... yup! Then I listened from outside the car as he did this, and it was barely audible. The interior amplified the sound tremendously.

So the loud sound I'm getting now could be similar case, very subtle shifting of two panels, amplified inside the car.

Anybody else have a body flex / thermal flex / creak like this? It's a 2014 car with pano roof (that I hardly use).

Last edited:
The trim bits are held in place by an adhesive. When conditions are right the adhesive will let go and you get the cracking sound. This will be more pronounced in colder weather when the adhesive gets harder. In hot weather it may go away completely. The only solution is to replace the trim piece thats making the noise and reposition the new piece to slightly to reduce the stress.