TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A low-carbon future doesn't mean losing our lifestyle

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by S'toon, Nov 27, 2015.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Full article at:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/a-low-carbon-future-doesn-t-mean-losing-our-lifestyle-bob-mcdonald-1.3339891

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Great article.

3. voyager

voyager Member

#3 voyager, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Ever thought that doing more with less, sort of a synonym of sustainable, may actually save people money?...

4. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

It certainly is a good article and very much on point... not just scaremongering! The paralysis we've seen is (IMHO) significantly caused by the perceived lack of a realistic solution to our problem. The solutions exist... we just need to take the bull by the horns.

There is no reason that natural gas needs to disappear completely. If we used only gas that came from renewables and used it for smaller things like cooking... and not to power the economy in general... that would not appreciably contribute to climate change. Carbon in the carbon cycle isn't the issue... it's adding the carbon that has been safely sequestered for millennia that creates the problem.

I look at my lifestyle and have zero to complain about. I live in the first world and I live well. We have a gas stove and a gas BBQ. The house is heated by a geo-exchange system with electricity generated by hydro (85% green in my Province). Solar panels on the roof of the house help to offset that 15% and of course, the Tesla is as clean as we can hope for today. Certainly, my location makes the hydro generation possible - not possible everywhere I realize... but the short cold winter days mean my panels aren't as efficient as in lower latitudes and my power needs are that much greater.

My point is, I managed all of this without making any compromises and many others on this forum live in similar circumstances. The trick is to convince those people, who don't understand, how simple and painless some of the basic steps actually are.

Pitter-patter, let's get at 'er!