Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A message to this forum about V9.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V8 was definitely more powerful and configurable, no doubt, but the tradeoff was that it was a little quirky and required you to take your attention off the road if you wanted to change one app, move them, and definitely took a few taps to get it right.

V8 was quirky in this, but only because Tesla broke it in V8 for no apparent reason. V7/V6 and past were very logical because everything opened to the top by default when tapping. Also, V8 started hiding the app tray, previously it showed always.

Last edited:
@spectrum Do you simply disagree with my opinion of V9, or the content of my post - i.e. that the interface is unrelated to EAP/FSD, that they could have made a nice mini app for media to place just about anywhere, or that they removed some interface functionality?

I agree that getting apps where you want in V8 was quirky to say the least (stupid IMHO); which is the main reason I dislike 8. V7 (and all previous) was much easier to get apps where you wanted: they showed up on top unless you placed it otherwise. And of course the self-disappearing icons (unless the car is "Off", or the map is not on the top half - why not add "except 2nd Tuesdays"?), that is annoying. If you started on V8, no wonder you like 9 better.

Yes I've used this interface many years and admit I am averse to change in general. I still dislike 8, not as much as what I've seen of 9 though. By the way, replacing the app you're looking at with the media app whether you want it or not is a no-go IMO.
Actually I don't disagree with your post too much! It must have been by accident. I'm curious to see how Tesla handles this feedback.

Reactions: Brass Guy
I have no problem with your opinion on V9, @spectrum. It is, after all, how you feel about the UI of your car. Obviously some love it, some hate and a spectrum in-between, as always.

My "disagree" have been mostly - and entirely in this thread - with the way you seem to label those with an opposing opinion. That is IMO uncalled for. The poll could also have used more balanced options and a more balanced title to really seek genuine opinions and not just divide us.

Here's where we just have to disagree. IMO the great way to make use of a vertical screen (as opposed to a horizontal screen in Model 3 and rumoured future Model S/X) with mostly horizontal content is to offer two (or more) of them at a time. Most of the apps in Model S/X still today follow a 16:9/4:3ish form-factor, which results in them being unnecessarily small and low if there is only one of them open at a time on the bottom. This remains true with V9.

Let's look at rear-view camera on Model 3 vs. Model S for example. This design works well on Model 3, but on Model S the image is low and, well, alone - especially in the driving scenario or when kept open all the time (I get it it moves up when reversing, but only if it isn't open).

Unless you really, really need the map at the same time, this is just poor use of the available space. On the Model 3 at least you get a great and big image higher up in your line of sight. (It would be nice to have two panels above each other on Model 3 too, but not quite as useful or pressing.)

View attachment 343086

Certainly V9 makes opening apps more logical than V8 in the sense that they always open in the same place, but this is simply because V8 was silly in this regard - V6 was the best. With V8 the camera opened on top (funny that), media opened in the bottom etc. weird stuff. V6 was very logical: apps always opened on the top and you moved them when you wanted to.

But V9 is not a blessing in this sense, because 1) it removes the option to open stuff on top entirely - I've liked my camera or media controls there depending on the situation - and 2) opening the apps now requires visiting the app tray. With V8 at least I could keep the app tray open all the time by not using navigation on top...

V6 had the best IC and the best MCU from an information density and logical usability standpoint, AP not withstanding. Darn it was good, even if it looked amateurish graphically. It was genius. That's what makes this so hard - Tesla had this UI stuff nailed in my opinion and just keeps making it worse - again, in my opinion of course. It is not fun, so I'm not going to pretend it is.

Great to see Tesla fix a big portion of this criticism with 2018.42.

Tesla reads TMC too, that is a historically known fact. :)

Still a work-in-progress for sure, but a worthy outcome of all the executive escalations and online commentary. Thank you all!