TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A mighty effort from AEVA Tasmania

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

Electric vehicle station scheme

“The government doesn’t believe in putting in charging stations unless there are electric vehicles so someone has got to make a stance.”

Well done for taking a stance AEVA Tasmania.

• Like x 10
    • Love x 1
  2. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

It's fantastic news! Although I'm not a part of the company (would be if I could afford it!) I catch up with a lot of these people regularly (at AEVA events). The spokesperson (Clive) is very experienced, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. We are lucky to have so many people in the group (the business has 8 investors at last count) who are both supportive and financially able to contribute!

3. nigwil

nigwil Member

Very pleased this is happening, and that someone is able to lead the way.

Is it an option for those of us with more modest means to kick in a few dollars (maybe as a group thing) to help? At first glance I'm assuming not if this is a formal commercial venture rather than a bunch of enthusiasts.

4. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

You probably want to talk to @bcashman about that! (if he doesn't respond to the tag - notice he hasn't been on TMC for a while - PM me and I'll pass on his email address)

5. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

#5 Chuq, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. nigwil

nigwil Member

#6 nigwil, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Clive Atwater (and electric car talk) from Electric Highway Tasmania starts at 53 minutes through to 62 minutes.

7. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Oops.. thought they may had edited the podcast but its still the same length... will edit!

• Like x 1
  8. bcashman

bcashman Member

Hi everyone. Definitely exciting times here in Tasmania! The project is a commercial venture, but we are looking at different ways we can get our enthusiastic EV community involved.

If anyone is interested, has ideas, or wants to know more, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected].

• Like x 2
  9. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

@nigwil points out in another thread:

Other good places to check are:
    Council Meeting Minutes - Northern Midlands Council
    Council Meeting Agendas and Attachments - Northern Midlands Council

These can be particularly painful because a lot of them comprise of PDFs of scanned documents - i.e. not readable as text, so you can't search for keywords easily. But it is there nevertheless :)

One thing is for sure - Campbell Town is almost definitely going to be the first supercharger in Tasmania, whenever it happens!

10. nigwil

nigwil Member

11. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

That's true, I think the challenge has been that Tesla superchargers are minimum 4-bay sites (4 stalls, 2 supercharger cabinets - they want 2 cabinets to allow for redundancy). But they have also installed 2-bay sleds in the past, originally only occasionally or to meet promised targets where a full site can't be completed in the requested timeframe. I think a single 2-bay would be more than enough capacity for Tassie for the time being!

Of course Tesla's map doesn't show it, but it also didn't show Adelaide or Clare last year either!

12. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

For those interested, at the AEVA Tas meeting on Wednesday we received an update on the Electric Highway Tasmania project:

Things are progressing a lot in the background. All councils involved now "get it", so far as the benefits fast chargers can bring to their region.
    Many are contributing to the cost in the form of civil works (excavation, etc). Most councils need to get this into their 2018-19 budget, for works to be done in that period, except for one council (Hobart City Council) where they have a higher discretionary cut-off before this is required, so they will in theory be able to start earlier.
    They are making use of the TasNetworks fast charger support scheme (TasNetworks is the state electricity network company - they are offering free advice on site and charger installation, and 50% discount on cost of electrical network upgrades for eligible sites).
    Clive mentioned heading to Burnie then next day so it looks like the network will have good coverage!
    He also mentioned they are planning to put future proof equipment in. My guess is 150 kW chargers? (Not that any cars today can take that, but the ones coming out in the next year or two will). Note that Tesla Chademo adaptors have been tested on 150 kW Chademo chargers overseas and it has been found the adaptors themselves are 50 kW limited.

• Like x 1
  13. miimura

miimura Active Member

This has been well known since they were introduced. The CHAdeMO adapter even says 125A DC Max right on the label.

14. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

When I posted this same update elsewhere there were a few comments asking if they could do more, so I thought I'd mention it here in case the same questions popped up!

15. nigwil

nigwil Member

This is quite encouraging, very glad to read about this strategy by our electricity authority.

Now we just need to get more EVs on the road...